Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Jewels elixir

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

The jewel system as it exists is frustrating, burdensome and not at all fun for even the wealthiest players in AL. STS is one of the most conscientious developers I've ever run across. They need to make money, but their goal has never been to greedily farm players' wallets. Their core development philosophy is 'make the game fun and they will come.' Maybe that has changed, but maybe something else is going on that is causing them to move forward with this jewel system that is so deeply unpopular with players.

Here's some numbers that might make you cringe in horror.

Noble Jewel (lvl 30) requires 2,187 Cracked.
    Six mythic pieces of gear with 3 slots each require 18 Noble Jewels, or a total of 39,366 Cracked.

Level 9 Jewel (lvl 35) requires 6,561 Cracked.
    Six mythic pieces of gear with 3 slots each require 18 Level 9 Jewels, or a total of 118,098 Cracked.

Level 10 Jewel (lvl 40) requires 19,683 Cracked.
    Six mythic pieces of gear with 3 slots each require 18 Level 10 Jewels, or a total of 354,294 Cracked.

Level 11 Jewel (lvl 45) requires 59,049 Cracked.
    Six mythic pieces of gear with 3 slots each require 18 Level 11 Jewels, or a total of 1,062,882 Cracked.

Level 12 Jewel (lvl 50) requires 177,147 Cracked.
    Six mythic pieces of gear with 3 slots each require 18 Level 12 Jewels, or a total of 3,188,646 Cracked.

Level 13 Jewel (lvl 55) requires 531,441 Cracked.
    Six mythic pieces of gear with 3 slots each require 18 Level 13 Jewels, or a total of 9,565,938 Cracked.

This is what I mean by 'frustrating, burdensome, and not at all fun.' Even with jewel elixir, farming jewels is a massive, expensive undertaking.

My suggestion to fix the jewel system is to kill the exponential aspect of jewel evolution and adjust it to a more sustainable scale.
    Last edited by Niixed; 02-26-2016 at 09:21 AM.

Member Arlorian Realtors Association

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Niixed For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thundyrz View Post
    The jewel system as it exists is frustrating, burdensome and not at all fun for even the wealthiest players in AL. STS is one of the most conscientious developers I've ever run across. They need to make money, but their goal has never been to greedily farm players' wallets. Their core development philosophy is 'make the game fun and they will come.' Maybe that has changed, but maybe something else is going on that is causing them to move forward with this jewel system that is so deeply unpopular with players.

Here's some numbers that might make you cringe in horror.

Noble Jewel (lvl 30) requires 2,187 Cracked.
    Six mythic pieces of gear with 3 slots each require 18 Noble Jewels, or a total of 39,366 Cracked.

Level 9 Jewel (lvl 35) requires 6,561 Cracked.
    Six mythic pieces of gear with 3 slots each require 18 Level 9 Jewels, or a total of 118,098 Cracked.

Level 10 Jewel (lvl 40) requires 19,683 Cracked.
    Six mythic pieces of gear with 3 slots each require 18 Level 10 Jewels, or a total of 354,294 Cracked.

Level 11 Jewel (lvl 45) requires 59,049 Cracked.
    Six mythic pieces of gear with 3 slots each require 18 Level 11 Jewels, or a total of 1,062,882 Cracked.

Level 12 Jewel (lvl 50) requires 177,147 Cracked.
    Six mythic pieces of gear with 3 slots each require 18 Level 12 Jewels, or a total of 3,188,646 Cracked.

Level 13 Jewel (lvl 55) requires 531,441 Cracked.
    Six mythic pieces of gear with 3 slots each require 18 Level 13 Jewels, or a total of 9,565,938 Cracked.

This is what I mean by 'frustrating, burdensome, and not at all fun.'

My suggestion to fix the jewel system is to kill the exponential aspect of jewel evolution and adjust it to a more sustainable scale.
    Thank you so much for this post.

I had planned on doing the math just like this to illustrate what kind of expectation that STS has set for us with this jewel system, when it used to be a simple matter of normal or grand gems based on luck, and only a few Gems to choose from to get the job done so you can move on with your life and enjoy the game.

Now couple this with the news that there will be a higher tiered gem than the one we have now, the thought of which becomes not only daunting but unbelievably unrealistic.

It's one thing to make upgrading gear a challenge, it's another entirely when you have numbers like 39k components to make a set of the current best possible Jewels the game has to offer for a mythic set.

How do you even justify that? Like, as a developer sitting in the chair coming up with this.

How do you say to yourself and the player base that this is cool and totally attainable if you try?

It's honestly so laughable I feel like it's a deliberate troll.

Even the most hardcore farmers of hardcore farmers would say that the amount of effort needed to craft jewels is TOO DAMN HIGH.
    Last edited by Sorcerie; 02-26-2016 at 12:14 PM.
    Lvl 46 Mage - Sorcerie|Lvl 46 Rogue - Noxbolt

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sorcerie For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

Chill.
    Jewels will be very abundant next season. The reason chaos, mind, fury, and finesse haven't been already is because the maps they've be on. This update just made them more accessible (farming locations). Chaos jewels next season? Easy. Garetta at 56 will be like Shuyal now at 46. Just run in a straight line and cast fireball, while your pet folows behind and picks stuff up. Running Shuyal will feel like the Rooks' Nest.
    A lot more people will be farming the jewels then.

Jewels can be recycled. So once you're maxed, the next tier of a new season isn't starting from scratch.
    Even staying a tier behind isn't going to make or break you.
    You really think the difference between another player and you is that they have an extra 18 star points? If you're bad with all superb jewels, you'll be bad with all nobles.
    But with having a full season of easy to farm jewels, you're going to see a good number of players with maxed jewels. Some will even begin a new set just to stash and prepare for the 10th tier just to be ready.

Since a step or two up on jewels isn't a game changer like a para gem, relax. Not everyone is supposed to have 100% maxed out stats. Maxed out stats aren't meant to be insanely better than near max in just about every game. Maxed out stats are for show.
    If everyone was maxed out, the game would be easy, boring, and give players no incentive to continue playing. And sts knows that, as similar things has had them lose a lot of players due to stagnation.

It's sad, really.
    Everyone days they would be all for a skill mastery system that was 'use skill A X many times for blah blah blah' but having to collect a lot of jewels...heaven forbid!
    Players have said they'd like a long quest to keep them playing....
    But when players get what they want, they complain about.

I also find it amusing how people are constantly complaining how hard it is to get some of the jewels they want, yet will say, "the elicits at the right spot will bring in tons of jewels." Okay....so say the location. If you can't farm it, but you want the jewels to use...let other players know how to farm it. Let the jewels become abundant. Let the prices go down. And in the meantime, farm something else for gold and then exchange your gold for the cheap jewels that you want.
    Omgwtfhaxbbq
    Just because more jewels are floating around, doesn't mean your gold is going to be worth less.
    Only those who risk going past the edge will find out how far they can go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Morholt View Post
    Chill.
    Jewels will be very abundant next season. The reason chaos, mind, fury, and finesse haven't been already is because the maps they've be on. This update just made them more accessible (farming locations). Chaos jewels next season? Easy. Garetta at 56 will be like Shuyal now at 46. Just run in a straight line and cast fireball, while your pet folows behind and picks stuff up. Running Shuyal will feel like the Rooks' Nest.

Jewels can be recycled. So once you're maxed, the next tier of a new season isn't starting from scratch.
    You really think the difference between another player and you is that they have an extra 18 star points? If you're bad with all superb jewels, you'll be bad with all nobles.
    But with having a full season of easy to farm jewels, you're going to see a good number of players with maxed jewels. Some will even begin a new set just to stash and prepare for the 10th tier just to be ready.

Since a step or two up on jewels isn't a game changer like a para gem, relax. Not everyone is supposed to have 100% maxed out stats. Maxed out stats aren't meant to be insanely better than near max in just about every game. Maxed out stats are for show.
    If everyone was maxed out, the game would be easy, boring, and give players no incentive to continue playing. And sts knows that, as similar things has had them lose a lot of players due to stagnation.

It's sad, really.
    Everyone days they would be all for a skill mastery system that was 'use skill A X many times for blah blah blah' but having to collect a lot of jewels...heaven forbid!

I also find it amusing how people are constantly complaining how hard it is to get some of the jewels they want, yet will say, "the elicits at the right spot will bring in tons of jewels." Okay....so say the location. If you can't farm it, but you want the jewels to use...let other players know how to farm it. Let the jewels become abundant. Let the prices go down. And in the meantime, farm something else for gold and then exchange your gold for the cheap jewels that you want.
    Omgwtfhaxbbq
    Just because more jewels are floating around, doesn't mean your gold is going to be worth less.
    This thread kinda got derailed, the origal point was..the jewel elixes. There plat only / non tradable ..and a plat only event kinda sucks for us f2p players

The thin line between entertainment and war
    There'll be no shelter here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Morholt View Post
    Chill.

It's sad, really.

Omgwtfhaxbbq
    Why the presumption that the motive behind complaints about the jewel system are merely because everyone wants maxed out stats? It's just not the case. I'm not even close to maxed out. My motive is that I'd like farming a successive levels of jewels to be something that is something I can actually accomplish in a reasonable amount of game-time. Are you ignoring the monstrously daunting numbers and extreme effort necessary to farm jewels at even the lower levels? Noble is basically impossible, but soon we'll have impossible X 3. And then, we'll be privileged to have impossible X 9. We are talking about SEVERAL YEARS of game time here. That's just not a reasonable expectation!

Member Arlorian Realtors Association

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Niixed For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thundyrz View Post
    Why the presumption that the motive behind complaints about the jewel system are merely because everyone wants maxed out stats? It's just not the case. I'm not even close to maxed out. My motive is that I'd like farming a successive levels of jewels to be something that is something I can actually accomplish in a reasonable amount of game-time. Are you ignoring the monstrously daunting numbers and extreme effort necessary to farm jewels at even the lower levels? Noble is basically impossible, but soon we'll have impossible X 3. And then, we'll be privileged to have impossible X 9. We are talking about SEVERAL YEARS of game time here. That's just not a reasonable expectation!
    Thank you again, Thundyrz.

This is my point exactly.

I want jewel farming to be something that I can do on the daily as I play at a steady pace like it was with essence drops. Atm, sans the jewel elixir event, farming jewels isn't something that I actively do as the current base drop rate on jewels is completely negligible. If I see them drop my first reaction is almost to toss them because of how insignificant they've become to me since the implementation of the Jewel system, and to be quite honest, before this event I can say with 100% certainty that I have crafted more effigies than I have Jewels, if that tells you anything about the current state of actual jewel farming within AL.

Granted, this is only my personal experience, but if I feel this way about the jewel system as whole, I can promise you that there are more that do as well they just haven't said anything about it.

So if the aim is to make jewel farming, "a very long and steady grind", all I ask is that you indeed make the experience steady, because I don't feel as though it is, and it shouldn't take an event like this to make it so. Especially given that you guys are raising the stakes by creating a new tier, which makes the grind that much longer without really changing the snails pace of drops that we currently face when there isn't an event going on.

The numbers don't lie, if it takes 2,187 cracked to make 1 Noble.

How long do you think it will take an average player to achieve this through farming, just once even?

Cause I can tell you the task feels nearly impossible, unless of course you buy up pieces through the CS while going bankrupt in the process, and even then the trade off to try and sell it later isn't worth the expense.

There just has to be something they can do to make this more casual, 2k pieces for one 'grand' jewel is just not ideal, and certainly not when the goal is to TRICKLE jewels into the game.
    Last edited by Sorcerie; 02-29-2016 at 02:12 PM.
    Lvl 46 Mage - Sorcerie|Lvl 46 Rogue - Noxbolt

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sorcerie For This Useful Post: