I've been playing for a while and noticed that over the last couple of weeks the market for trading items has quickly turned to sky-high prices of gold. I'm not quite sure why this trend started, nor am I sure what the purpose of having that much gold is.

If you have a bunch of pinks, and then sell them for gold, what are you trying to accomplish? If you want to use it to buy items, why not just trade the ones you have? I do suppose that gold is a common medium which would make it easier to turn pinks of one class into those of another, but I can't see why this alone has pushed prices so high.

Say you do this, and end up with hundreds of thousands of gold. Now what? You're not buying low-level items from the store with it. The only continual need for gold I have is to buy health/mana pots, but I don't need the ~40k that most high-level items are going for. So why do you wealthy players need it?

tl;dr the demand for gold is unjustified because at lvl 35 you can't really do anything with it.