Thread: Is engineer for me?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is engineer for me?

Just kinda wondering because I have been enchantress since I joined PL and looking at some of the posts it looks like I'll be putting out more buffs and heals and maybe a few dots here and there than actually doing healing and dps...I love doing lots of damage but I have always been a kinda mix between damage and healing sometimes I want to go near healing more and less healing but more to the point is engineer damage okay? Or is it kinda disappointing and more focused on healing? Because I kinda wanna get to know the classes a little before it comes out for iDevices...
    55 enchantress (Dex Mage)-Keasha
    35 Archer (str bird)-Mkcecil
    36 Warrior (pure str)
    35 enchantress (pvp mage)-Kittenkaster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

You basically answered your own question. Doesn't play like a PL mage, so no. Not that I PVP, but I have no idea how there expecting Eng to be any good at it with skills being damage over time. Looks like PVP is going to be all Ops and Coms.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Tournament & Ladder Leader Silentarrow's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Engineer does dp damage if thats what you are asking, but as said above they do damage over time and heals over time. They are also mandatory for groups because of all their buffs, one example of this is their M/S buff which will be very helpful to commandos and operatives who constantly run low on mana.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also played a mage in PL. I've got my engineer up to lvl 20 and I find I play the character similar to my other rpg mages. Lots of kiting, lots of buffing. Not sure if you've heard but there are lots of doors that can only be opened by certain classes. It's handy to be needed for once. Engineer is the way to go if you enjoy supporting. As far as pvp, I'm sure that will get balanced once it goes live. Heck, I've still got 3 skills I can't see yet, who knows what they are?

Ashidon

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I disagree with everyone saying Engineers will be useless in PvP. In PvP, healers are tanks. People need to target you because if they don't you keep your team alive. If they DO target you, they have a hard time killing you because in addition to your normal heals you have another self only heal that also does damage. Also, if they are attacking you that means your teammates have the freedom to kill their dudes. If you are 1v1 then run and find a teammate! Also, don't underestimate the damage you can do. Engineer damage isn't as low as many seem to think.
    All my posts are automatically +1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silentarrow View Post
    Engineer does dp damage if thats what you are asking, but as said above they do damage over time and heals over time. They are also mandatory for groups because of all their buffs, one example of this is their M/S buff which will be very helpful to commandos and operatives who constantly run low on mana.
    The mana per second buff is Res by the way, and is in PL too. The effect on alive team mates makes Res actually worth using besides to get others up in both games. People just hardly notice one point to armor/dps/mana regen in PL. In SL it makes a difference because stats don't give regen. The effect lasts for 1 minute, does not stack with other people's applications, doesn't not show an icon, and does not improve with rank. Buffs are actually useful in SL, whereas in PL the Mage buffs benefit the user more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derajdefyre View Post
    I disagree with everyone saying Engineers will be useless in PvP. In PvP, healers are tanks. People need to target you because if they don't you keep your team alive. If they DO target you, they have a hard time killing you because in addition to your normal heals you have another self only heal that also does damage. Also, if they are attacking you that means your teammates have the freedom to kill their dudes. If you are 1v1 then run and find a teammate! Also, don't underestimate the damage you can do. Engineer damage isn't as low as many seem to think.
    Good points, but Engineer is definitely looking at a huge disadvantage 1v1. The damage doesn't suck, but the other classes just deal it better (Yes even the "tank" Commando), and would just take us down before the DOTs tick down. It's impossible to heal if you're already floored.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 07-13-2011 at 12:31 PM.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The mana issue needs to ba addressed IMHO. Spam potting similar to Balefort Sewer opener, only we make no money to support it here. Overall, I like the game. Engineer is much different than PL. Not sure yet if I will stick with it or continue on Com or Op.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmm looking to go more op or commando because damage is a big deal for me if I'm forced to heal and do so little damage from what you guys are saying, I think I'll try engineer first before I just up and abandon it for my first character...
    55 enchantress (Dex Mage)-Keasha
    35 Archer (str bird)-Mkcecil
    36 Warrior (pure str)
    35 enchantress (pvp mage)-Kittenkaster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
    The mana issue needs to ba addressed IMHO. Spam potting similar to Balefort Sewer opener, only we make no money to support it here. Overall, I like the game. Engineer is much different than PL. Not sure yet if I will stick with it or continue on Com or Op.
    What mana issue? You're obviously doing something wrong if you're spamming mana pots. Res buff and NOT skill spamming would be a start. I haven't bought one mana pot yet and actually gained more than I use from quests. And no, I don't go farming for pots. Not yet, anyway. It's good to have health pots for emergencies though, and I've used some of those early. Still only bought any pots one time so far. They were health pots.

Also no idea what what you're talking about Sewer opener. I do every Sewer level without using any.

General Advice: Learn to conserve pots and let mana regen on it's own. Only pot when you need to cast and can't. Learn to not run ahead of the group, ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

It could be just getting used to the different skills. Only have Commando to lvl 5 or 6 at this point.I do tend to be a bit aggressive. Patience isn't really a strong suit of mine.The sewer opener definitely had an mana issue and stats were changed.
    * To clarify. My original post was in response to Silentarrow and I was referring to Com not Eng. Sorry for any confusion.
    Last edited by Maynard; 07-13-2011 at 05:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Ah, Com do sometimes have mana issues with heavy skill use and needing to pot. Join a guild and conserve the heck out of pots like I do. Applies to all classes really. Also you'll appreciate a Engineer using Res on you when you're alive.

I'm still not sure what you mean Sewer opener, sorry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
    Learn to not run ahead of the group, ever.
    That's what makes one a good player, doesn't matter on which class. If you run ahead, it makes the whole run fast as everyone will try to catch up to you, thus making a run much faster. Every good party has to have a good leader. Have you seen Slushie play on his bird? U can barely catch up. Surely he might be using a lot of pots, but to me personally standing back and being afraid of wasting couple of pots is just not fun at all. I boot people like that.
    It was fun while it lasted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blindmaster View Post
    That's what makes one a good player, doesn't matter on which class. If you run ahead, it makes the whole run fast as everyone will try to catch up to you, thus making a run much faster. Every good party has to have a good leader. Have you seen Slushie play on his bird? U can barely catch up. Surely he might be using a lot of pots, but to me personally standing back and being afraid of wasting couple of pots is just not fun at all. I boot people like that.
    In pl as a pally i become a tank and its difficult i need alot of mana pots i think i have consumed 300 pots and im barely just level 20
    When there is too much

Don't forget

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

You people are complete weirdos, the PL paladin player less so because of less mana regen.

So Blind, you WANT the Engineer to agro everything for you and die? Or the PL cloth wearing Mage to agro everything first and also die? What planet are you from? Good player? It makes you a dead player is what it does. The guy who runs ahead and dies should be booted if he's not a bear. Sorry, but learn to play. Wow. Just wow. Asking the Mage in cloth or Engineer with few attacks to run first. Lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Update. Really not trying to hijack. As my com and and op levels increase, I use better gear, and slow just a bit, pot use has declined. Thanks all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts

Duh...bronislav, have u ever seen me playing on my mage? No? I'm sorry to inform you but i can stay ahead and tank better on pure intel mage than most bears in the game. Or have u seen Aeryol(aka yosharu) play on mage? Seriously man don't post if u don't have anything useful to say.

NorthEast Ohio on the #1 Trout River next to Lake Erie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Just walk away from the no feeding sign. There is bad info going around.
    """""""""There's a sucker born every minute" P. T. Barnum"""""""""

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Derajdefyre:348313
    This.

Dosumn (26) Engineer
    Kelmud (26) Commando
    Levay (25) Operative