Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Engineer's Survival Guide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by noneo View Post
    I posted my skill setup in my main post. I am not 100% loving it though, and will be doing a respec soon.

As far as yours goes, I do like the very high Empathy and Transference, but honestly, I don't really find it necessary to have them both maxed out. I rarely ever find myself with less than half health (and that is with only using Empathy). I think buffs are far more important though. I use both Force Shield and Protection like they are going out of style . I also have a few points in Wither and Pain, but I am leaning towards the removal of 1 or both of them, the HoT spells seem to do a lot of damage as they are.

That is just my opinion though, if you build works for you, keep it! I'm not trying to tell you it is bad or anything, just expressing my views.

p.s. Thanks for the compliments!
    Thanks for your thoughts. I can see lots of different build ideas, especially early on in the game when the max lvl is low and there aren't many points to distribute in skills. I missed this stage of the game in PL, so its interesting to see how ppl decide to spec their engineer. Personally, 6 in Empathy and Transference may not be needed, I just went that way cause they seemed the most useful skill, and I wanted to test them at their max potential. The armour buff is pretty good, however I wasn't completely sold on the Force shield. Only took it up to lvl 2 tho before respec'ing. Leech seems good but as it was a self heal, I decided to put less points in it. My build was basically to assist and heal a party, so I wasn't really worried about pain or wither. Suppression seems useful solo, but didn't like it when in a party. I agree that HoT seems to do enough damage, which was another reason I went for 6 in Transference. Thanks for the feedback. I'm not gonna respec or worry about it too much until release. Keep the updates coming!

SL: Horsethemando - 25 | Horsetheneer - 20 | Horsetheop - 20
    PL: Horsethebear - 48 | Horsetheelf - 45 | Horsethebird - 15

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I'm gonna be honest, this needs to be stickied. And I love the text animation at the top! It's so glitzy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Hey Noneo,

hope you don't mind but I've added this to my new list of SL guides - http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...f-in-one-place

sweet, thanks
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roasty View Post
    I'm gonna be honest, this needs to be stickied. And I love the text animation at the top! It's so glitzy
    Thanks! I had to remove the animation though, it kept bugging out my post and not showing up. I will make a new one by hand in Photoshop in the next day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    Hey Noneo,

hope you don't mind but I've added this to my new list of SL guides - http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...f-in-one-place

sweet, thanks
    Thanks for the add, and I don't mind at all!
    Lol (Star Legends) - Noneo (Pocket Legends)
    Star Legends - Engineer's Survival Guide!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

Lvl 20 Engineer

6 empathy
    6 force shield
    1 revive
    3 protection
    3 transference

Only way to fly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flowman View Post
    Lvl 20 Engineer

6 empathy
    6 force shield
    1 revive
    3 protection
    3 transference

Only way to fly.
    I briefly tried this build and liked how it felt so far. Force field definitely seemed more effective than leech for saving myself. Plus the added mana regen is a bonus. Will have to see how the 3 less points in transference hold up in the harder parts of Delta.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Horsethe View Post
    I briefly tried this build and liked how it felt so far. Force field definitely seemed more effective than leech for saving myself. Plus the added mana regen is a bonus. Will have to see how the 3 less points in transference hold up in the harder parts of Delta.
    I'm not a fan of DOT skills at the moment for 3 reasons:

1. The mob dies so quickly now that most of the time the DOT skills never even take effect.
    2. The best strategy would be to target one mob, use pain, for example, and then target another and let the skill do some work. Unfortunately the touch pad system is still a little buggy so sometimes this doesn't work.
    3. DOT skills and skill with 3 second delays are only good against high HP mobs, which are only seen in vast quantities on maps I wouldn't try to solo in the first place.

So thats why I like my setup.

NorthEast Ohio on the #1 Trout River next to Lake Erie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
    So a mostly solo Engineer with virtually no points in Protection. Interesting. Certainly different. Lots of kills but the death count is pretty high.
    sorry im late to respond. I been out of town the last few days. My death count is high because I go in blazeing as fast as i can. If I went in single pulling and cared about my death count. I could have it way lower.

Im just a farmer. Got to get paid asap. lol
    """""""""There's a sucker born every minute" P. T. Barnum"""""""""

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

I see.

Ok post respec I like this:
    6 Empathy
    1 Res
    1 Force Shield
    5 Protection
    5 Transference
    1 Pain

I'm not 21 yet, nor will I be so before beta ends and level cap goes up soon after, but would probably max Transference with that point. I find I only get to use one DOT before stuff dies from my party members pounding it, so I figured I'd only get the strongest one, and it heals. The only time I solo is helping others on considerably lower level stuff, so I don't need anything else. I can kill stuff, but unlike my Mage I designed my Engineer to lean more toward support for now. Engineer desperately needs an instant cast AOE, as very often by the time I cast one skill (Usually transference or Pain) stuff is dead before I could cast a second, or it's not worth the time so I auto attack instead. Would be nice to be able to help clear stuff out better. We need a good instant cast AOE, but I realize that might be counter to the theme.

Set 1: Pain, Transference, Empathy
    Set 2: Res, Protection, Force Shield

Some tips:
    I typically go into a fight with Set 2 open, cast anything I need to, then switch to Set 1. This works for me because although I use the first one more often, going in with the second one visible means I can buff when a fight starts then heal throughout while still being able to use attack skills. If I miss I have a problem, but usually not. Really wish all the skills could be shown at the same time.

Protections stacks ONLY if people have different ranks, otherwise they just retime each other. I have 5 because most people max it, so in a party with me and another Eng, we are almost guaranteed to have at least 2 of it.

Suppression and Pain might be good complementary skills at some point when there's more skill points to throw around. Currently this seems to be the most viable "combo" if SL ever gets combos. Think about it. Suppress three to five guys, then use Pain on one. Pain explodes unopposed because it stuns the main target and they all take damage. Nobody wakes up because main Target is stunned (Wakes up but can't attack) and others don't wake up until Pain explodes so it will not break Suppression too early. Repeat, and if you get good at this you can avoid taking damage at all. Solo strategy of course, and will remain useless in parties forever because people are impatient. Doing this in 1v1 PVP might have some utility, and expect Suppression and Pain to get nerfed at some point if people get too good at doing this. Except for cooldowns, there's no way for the opponent to not be stunned or asleep.

Speaking of which, Pain deals a small amount of undocumented damage when it is first applied. This is easiest to notice on enemies with low health, like if you go to Dynastar. Dunno if this initial damage goes up with rank, but somebody feel free to test it and report back.

Hope this is useful for the guide.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 07-18-2011 at 03:06 AM.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I see.

6 Empathy
    1 Res
    1 Force Shield
    5 Protection
    5 Transference
    1 Pain

I'm not 21 yet, nor will I be so before beta ends and level cap goes up soon after, but would probably max Transference with that point. I find I only get to use one DOT before stuff dies from my party members pounding it, so I figured I'd only get the strongest one, and it heals. The only time I solo is helping others on considerably lower level stuff, so I don't need anything else. I can kill stuff, but unlike my Mage I designed my Engineer to lean more toward support for now. Engineer desperately needs an instant cast AOE, as very often by the time I cast one skill (Usually transference or Pain) stuff is dead before I could cast a second, or it's not worth the time so I auto attack instead. Would be nice to be able to help clear stuff out better. We need a good instant cast AOE, but I realize that might be counter to the theme.

Great build! I've been tweaking my Engineer using ideas in this guide as well as experimenting my own. Your build is identical to the one I am currently running. I also agree with the added point in transference at 21. It is by far our best damaging spell, with the bonus of a heal.

EDIT: I think transference is an instant cast AoE, it just doesn't do as much damage as were used to in PL with an enchantress. Personally I think its better though because of the heal effect.
    Last edited by Horsethe; 07-19-2011 at 08:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Thanks! It's a great setup that hasn't let me down yet.

Sorry, let me rephrase what I meant by instant cast. We need an instant damage AOE that does all it's damage on the first hit (Like mages) because almost always the non Engineers (And even sometimes other Engineers) will kill the enemies before the DOTs do their full damage. Or grant any heals in the case of Transference and Leech.

Transference would be so much better if it was a point blank 12 radius AOE that applies it's DOT to all enemies in range. Or a 12 distance cone. Whatever is the same range as right now, but without needing a target. If the primary target dies, it also stops damaging the enemies around it. It's a targeted AOE DOT that ends if the primary target dies and basically makes the cooldown longer than it should be if you just wasted it. So although it is instant cast, it isn't instant in the sense that it is still a damage over time. But making it not be dependent on the draf/alive state of the primary target would definitely improve it.

Again, I realize that this would be counter to the theme, but I don't think adding one instant damage AOE to the skill list would hurt the theme that much. Make it like 6 second cooldown or so. This would help even out the class a bit with the other two.

Also am I the only one who thinks we should get a skill to summon a Turret to shoot a laser at the same target as it's owner that follows it's owner until killed/resummoned? Ranking would increase the damage and health of the pet. Maybe give it a shield at ranks 5 and 6 (Rank 6 should have about 1.5x more shield and 1.5 shield regen if they give it a shield) that regens shield over time. It should be healable with the heal skills but should not recover health on it's own, only it's shield. Let's show some of the technological ability the class has. Wishful thinking, though.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 07-19-2011 at 12:36 PM.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I immediately thought of building turrets when I saw that engineers would be a class in SL, and there are still a few skills that havent been revealed yet so there may yet be hope for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flowman View Post
    Lvl 20 Engineer

6 empathy
    6 force shield
    1 revive
    3 protection
    3 transference

Only way to fly.
    Since writing my post, I have respecced to a build similar to this and I really like it!

Currently I am:
    0 0 5 1
    6 0 3 3

Essentially I took 1 point away from empathy and put it into Pain. Pain IMO is essential for boss fights. With the 3 second stun (regardless of whether or not it actually blows up) that gives the whole team a safe time to unload their damage dealers onto the boss.

Force field definitely seemed more effective than leech for saving myself. Plus the added mana regen is a bonus.
    I was hesitant at first because at a low skill level, my force field is a big waste of time. But at higher levels it is really effective against all mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by grayfox99 View Post
    I immediately thought of building turrets when I saw that engineers would be a class in SL, and there are still a few skills that haven't been revealed yet so there may yet be hope for that.
    That is EXACTLY what I thought too! I am really hoping we will be able to "build" some sort of secondary attack source with our higher level skills. That would be so incredibly fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I see.

6 Empathy
    1 Res
    1 Force Shield
    5 Protection
    5 Transference
    1 Pain
    This is a very nice looking build, I will have to try it out.

The only thing I am hesitant about is the 1 point of Force Shield. This seems a little pointless IMO since FS (Force Shield) only gives you the buff/armor when it is active. The second a mob hits you and you loose the shield, it goes away, and with higher leveled mobs they can take the level 1 shield away in one hit.

I upped my force shield to 6 for 2 reasons; First, it doesn't matter what any other character is, it always stacks on top of all other buffs with a +20 armor per level (up to 120, which is larger than BOTH level 5 and 6 protection skill combined). Second, it provides you "invincibility" for as long as the shield is up. If you are a high level, the shield can take FAR more damage, and remain up longer, in turn giving you a better armor buff than protection ever could. Also, most other players have Protection maxxed/lvl 5, so even if you had protection 5 or 6, it would be useless in a run for others already give you the buff for that level.

These are just my thoughts, and I am in no way trying to bash your build, just trying to have experienced conversations to better the class

Currently this seems to be the most viable "combo" if SL ever gets combos. Think about it. Suppress three to five guys, then use Pain on one. Pain explodes unopposed because it stuns the main target and they all take damage. Nobody wakes up because main Target is stunned (Wakes up but can't attack) and others don't wake up until Pain explodes so it will not break Suppression too early. Repeat, and if you get good at this you can avoid taking damage at all. Solo strategy of course, and will remain useless in parties forever because people are impatient. Doing this in 1v1 PVP might have some utility, and expect Suppression and Pain to get nerfed at some point if people get too good at doing this. Except for cooldowns, there's no way for the opponent to not be stunned or asleep.
    This is incredible! I never thought of it like that, and will be used hardcore in PVP, and in turn cause a whole new generation of complaining that "Engineers are overpowered ZOMG, make them easier to kill!!11". Until then, awesome observation

I will add this to my guide, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The only thing I am hesitant about is the 1 point of Force Shield. This seems a little pointless IMO since FS (Force Shield) only gives you the buff/armor when it is active. The second a mob hits you and you loose the shield, it goes away, and with higher leveled mobs they can take the level 1 shield away in one hit.

I upped my force shield to 6 for 2 reasons; First, it doesn't matter what any other character is, it always stacks on top of all other buffs with a +20 armor per level (up to 120, which is larger than BOTH level 5 and 6 protection skill combined). Second, it provides you "invincibility" for as long as the shield is up. If you are a high level, the shield can take FAR more damage, and remain up longer, in turn giving you a better armor buff than protection ever could. Also, most other players have Protection maxxed/lvl 5, so even if you had protection 5 or 6, it would be useless in a run for others already give you the buff for that level.
    I have tried force shield at 6 points and even then, while the extra armour is significantly higher, the amount of damage it could withstand imo was quite poor. The reason I place 1 point into force shield atm is to gain that 1 regen per second in between fights. Stack that with the revive buff and the need to use potions during a run is minute. While the amount of armour gained from Protection is less, it has 2 advantages, the first being that it is a party buff, then second being that it lasts for the entire duration of the buff, with no chance of removal.

NOTE: I currently run with the same build that bronislav84 listed.

PS: This is also just my thought, it's fun to debate and learn different ideas and ways of thinking.
    Last edited by Horsethe; 07-23-2011 at 12:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

I presume you are making the gear setup area, so I simply suggest that you don't include Plat items, or make it a separate gear setup since lots of players can't afford it.
    Also, there will prob be pink items around or so after beta, so wait a while for it heh.

Frankly that's all I can say... Great guide indeed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

great guide. including the advantages and disadvantages of the engineer is very useful.
    thanks.

with regards to the +armor skills, maybe the devs might change it such that the higher level skill will override the lower level skill.
    Last edited by hidden_lantern; 07-27-2011 at 01:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

These are just my thoughts, and I am in no way trying to bash your build, just trying to have experienced conversations to better the class

This is incredible! I never thought of it like that, and will be used hardcore in PVP, and in turn cause a whole new generation of complaining that "Engineers are overpowered ZOMG, make them easier to kill!!11". Until then, awesome observation

I will add this to my guide, thanks!
    Horsethe basically explained the reasons for everything. Also I noticed you still take damage with Force Shield up. Either the description is wrong, or the skill is bugged and isn't taking all damage directed at the player while it is up. I went to Dynastar, agroed three guys, activated shield, and let them shoot me. My health was still going down but I had both the buff and the visual effect of the shield, still.

You're welcome on the rest. The combination of Suppression and Pain is generally not possible right now with limited Skill Points, and probably not in the release build, but someday.

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...l=1#post353687 Could this post I made somehow be useful to the guide by the way?

It's a bit too late now, but it might have been better to have reserved a couple more posts. Now if the OP gets top long you'll need to remake the thread, especially when more people start posting/explaining their builds. When the level cap goes up sometime with official release, I will likely post an update for 25 and possibly 26 if that stays long enough for me to get to it, lengthening my explanation.
    I have tried force shield at 6 points and even then, while the extra armour is significantly higher, the amount of damage it could withstand imo was quite poor. The reason I place 1 point into force shield atm is to gain that 1 regen per second in between fights. Stack that with the revive buff and the need to use potions during a run is minute. While the amount of armour gained from Protection is less, it has 2 advantages, the first being that it is a party buff, then second being that it lasts for the entire duration of the buff, with no chance of removal.

NOTE: I currently run with the same build that bronislav84 listed.

PS: This is also just my thought, it's fun to debate and learn different ideas and ways of thinking.
    Couldn't have said it any better.
    Quote Originally Posted by hidden_lantern View Post
    great guide. including the advantages and disadvantages of the engineer is very useful.
    thanks.

with regards to the +armor skills, maybe the devs might change it such that the higher level skill will override the lower level skill.
    They better not do that. I don't believe different ranks of Protection stacking is a bug. You NEED the armor in this game, as players have less starting stats than PL. It could be an oversight, but seriously I believe it is needed because although everything has less health, including players, in PL terms everything is doing more damage than PL. You need every advantage you can get.

Also if Protection couldn't be used with Force Shield that would just be bad. No no.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 07-27-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Nice guild, here are my stats
    didn't respec so all my skills are on lv 1 when they are not i will mention them here:
    6 empathy
    6 protection
    2 Transference

I think its a very good skill build to solo or playing with a team, hope it helped a little bit
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=415&d=1311352096
    Theseus | Mars | Cupido
    Rage of Mages Officer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Long time Pocket Legends player (although haven't played in a while).

Thanks a ton for the guide. I just installed the beta and had no idea which class I wanted to start with. The 30 plat instant upgrade made me do some research and I your guide talked me into an Engineer.