Thread: How to keep everyone happy in Seasonal LB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Post How to keep everyone happy in Seasonal LB

I have this little suggestion. Just some very specific change for seasonal LB. The idea was brought so many times, but the StS team didn't change it (I guess it's because the people who farmed those millions of kills still "worked" for it. Would be unfair to devalue their work). I noticed that some players were kicked out of LB. I am not sure if they've been caught as bots, or banned for other reasons.

Regarding timed maps, A player's name should appear only once per Timed LB page. I mean, if your name appears in best timed Rooks Nest and Misty grotto, StS rewards you for Misty grotto timed, and takes the next team for rooks nest timed. Your name can come back in the Enhanced timed LB, or Planar Arena LB, but NOT twice in the Elite Maps Timed LB or twice in the normal Planar Arena. Watcher's Tomb for example:

EX:
    Timed Watcher's Tomb 1
    PlayerA, PlayerB, PlayerC : 30 seconds
    PlayerA, PlayerD, PlayerE, Player F :31 seconds
    PlayerC, PlayerF : 34 seconds

Timed Watcher's Tomb 2
    PlayerF :45 seconds
    PlayerB, PlayerE, PlayerG : 46 seconds
    PlayerA, PlayerC, PlayerE :46,5 seconds

Timed Watcher's Tomb 3
    PlayerA, PlayerB, PlayerC : 59 seconds
    PlayerB ,PlayerE, PlayerG : 1min
    PlayerH : 1min 2

Timed Watcher's Tomb 4
    PlayerH : 1min 23
    PlayerA, PlayerK, PlayeL : 1min 34

Instead of rewarding PlayerA/B/C/F twice, we just rewarded 2 more players in timed LB (PlayerD/E). I say the priority for choosing the best times goes from the highest map (Elite Underhul) down to the easiest maps. This way, the system will try to reward for your best time in Elite Forgotten citadel. If someone beats you, the system will try to reward you for your best time in the previous elite map. Once you're set as best time in a specific map, your name is out and it looks for an opportunity to reward the next team.

The biggest problem is PvE kills, CTF Kills, TDM kills, CTF goals and Top player sections. The Top player section has to stay the same since those players did farm their way up. They did get the APs. If someone is botting, report him and StS investigates then kick him out. The only seasonal LB section must be the PvE/CTF/TDM kills and goals. If people always work their way out in those sections, they will end up fighting over the top player section after a few seasons. This is a good way to give an opportunity for everyone to fight over LB and even encourage them to hit the top player section! This is encouraging!

I also suggest that season last 6 months (unless next expansions will last as long)

The community's arguments:

Quote Originally Posted by Visiting View Post
    But that awards people who don't deserve to be awarded with the *fastest* time in that map, why should second or even third best be awarded for not being the best? This isn't PeeWee baseball, this is AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticklish View Post
    Players are only awarded one banner for each criteria. It does not matter how may pure maps you take, you will only get one banner. That is the reward in itself. Timed LB is the one category you cannot bot, but actually require skill/gear/tactics to do (and sometimes, bugs, but I don't want to go into that). Don't fix what ain't broken

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dragoonclaws For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    541 Posts

But that awards people who don't deserve to be awarded with the *fastest* time in that map, why should second or even third best be awarded for not being the best? This isn't PeeWee baseball, this is AL.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Visiting For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

Players are only awarded one banner for each criteria. It does not matter how may pure maps you take, you will only get one banner. That is the reward in itself. Timed LB is the one category you cannot bot, but actually require skill/gear/tactics to do (and sometimes, bugs, but I don't want to go into that). Don't fix what ain't broken

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoonclaws View Post
    I have this little suggestion. Just some very specific change for seasonal LB. The idea was brought so many times, but the StS team didn't change it (I guess it's because the people who farmed those millions of kills still "worked" for it. Would be unfair to devalue their work). I noticed that some players were kicked out of LB. I am not sure if they've been caught as bots, or banned for other reasons.

Regarding timed maps, A player's name should appear only once per Timed LB page. I mean, if your name appears in best timed Rooks Nest and Misty grotto, StS rewards you for Misty grotto timed, and takes the next team for rooks nest timed. Your name can come back in the Enhanced timed LB, or Planar Arena LB, but NOT twice in the Elite Maps Timed LB or twice in the normal Planar Arena. Watcher's Tomb for example:

EX:
    Timed Watcher's Tomb 1
    PlayerA, PlayerB, PlayerC : 30 seconds
    PlayerA, PlayerD, PlayerE, Player F :31 seconds
    PlayerC, PlayerF : 34 seconds

Timed Watcher's Tomb 2
    PlayerF :45 seconds
    PlayerB, PlayerE, PlayerG : 46 seconds
    PlayerA, PlayerC, PlayerE :46,5 seconds

Timed Watcher's Tomb 3
    PlayerA, PlayerB, PlayerC : 59 seconds
    PlayerB ,PlayerE, PlayerG : 1min
    PlayerH : 1min 2

Timed Watcher's Tomb 4
    PlayerH : 1min 23
    PlayerA, PlayerK, PlayeL : 1min 34

Instead of rewarding PlayerA/B/C/F twice, we just rewarded 2 more players in timed LB (PlayerD/E). I say the priority for choosing the best times goes from the highest map (Elite Underhul) down to the easiest maps. This way, the system will try to reward for your best time in Elite Forgotten citadel. If someone beats you, the system will try to reward you for your best time in the previous elite map. Once you're set as best time in a specific map, your name is out and it looks for an opportunity to reward the next team.

The biggest problem is PvE kills, CTF Kills, TDM kills, CTF goals and Top player sections. The Top player section has to stay the same since those players did farm their way up. They did get the APs. If someone is botting, report him and StS investigates then kick him out. The only seasonal LB section must be the PvE/CTF/TDM kills and goals. If people always work their way out in those sections, they will end up fighting over the top player section after a few seasons. This is a good way to give an opportunity for everyone to fight over LB and even encourage them to hit the top player section! This is encouraging!

I also suggest that season last 6 months (unless next expansions will last as long)

The community's arguments:
    Nope, why should someone not be able to prove that he can have the fastest time in several pure or lixed times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oezheasate View Post
    Nope, why should someone not be able to prove that he can have the fastest time in several pure or lixed times.
    Nah he can, but the reward will be distributed to more people

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts

Nah he can, but the reward will be distributed to more people
    Undeservedly? You gotta be fast and make the effort to deserve the banner, thats why this banner is so coveted, its hard to attain and needs dedication, awarding it to second or third best runs is not the way to go. Will make those that actually put in the time feel like theyre gaining less cuz everybody has it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

+1 from me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

go start killing mobs and u will be on pve lb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Visiting View Post

@Dragoonnab,
    your suggestion does seem fair (imo), it would allow for more players to win a LB banner rather than the same people getting multiple banners.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Schnitzel For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

This seems like a concept for a competition for people who don't like to be competitive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ardbeg View Post
    This seems like a concept for a competition for people who don't like to be competitive.
    Well it gives a chance for people to be in LB. It's giving a chance for more people to win a seasonal banner. Well it brings more people in the competition. Maybe there should be colors for those banners. If you are in the top 1% best times, you get a golden mention on it (like a golden token or special effect on the banner). If you're not in the top 1% but was chosen in the LB reawrds, you get no golden mention.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

Well it gives a chance for people to be in LB. It's giving a chance for more people to win a seasonal banner. Well it brings more people in the competition. Maybe there should be colors for those banners. If you are in the top 1% best times, you get a golden mention on it (like a golden token or special effect on the banner). If you're not in the top 1% but was chosen in the LB reawrds, you get no golden mention.
    But then, it wouldn't exactly be LEADERboards, will it? They do give people other opportunities to win banners, from event LBs, Gauntlet, and even expansion openings. We already have the system rewarding botting/dummy behavior, do we really want rewards for something we're not the best at?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

The leaderboards being referred to with the seasonal suggestion are not the timed boards, as those are already seasonal. The seasonal request is for the other boards that are not currently seasonal - pve & pvp kills / flags / top player etc. They really need to put in a board for elite kills also.

What I have always wondered about timed maps is why hauntlet and arena have multiple slots each, yet all the other maps only have one. Personally I find it more fun running arena and hauntlet speed because there are multiple spots available. I wouldn't be opposed to this idea because of that. The idea isn't really about seasonal boards though - it's about timed boards.
    You never know what you can do until you try
    There are two ways of doing something: right, and again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts

That'd be a lotteryboard not a leaderboard. If there's anything I'd like to see for the timed lb it's elite maps set up so warriors don't miss out, and arena set up so warr/sorc can be competitive. Arena's potential of 25 spots x2 is currently wasted because it's a full rogue setup. There has to be something that can be done that doesn't entail messing with the actual classes.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Origin View Post
    That'd be a lotteryboard not a leaderboard. If there's anything I'd like to see for the timed lb it's elite maps set up so warriors don't miss out, and arena set up so warr/sorc can be competitive. Arena's potential of 25 spots x2 is currently wasted because it's a full rogue setup. There has to be something that can be done that doesn't entail messing with the actual classes.
    Looks like this season we tanks might get a shot in harder elites.