Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: staking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default staking!

After leveling and making cash for the items i have, there are no reason to make cash now. You dont lose items. It would be fun to stake, like player puts up 5k and the opp-nent dose too, winner gets the other persons cash. IF this cant be an update, im thinking about making a clan for staking, there will be host, for palyers who wanna stake, they will give cash too, winner of the fight goes to host and picks up their cash, will help with no scamming. (exp- I wanna bet 5k opponent bets 5k, we both give to host, after fight host give the cash to the winner) after awhile im sure host will get bored so host keeps 10percent of what is staked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

I don't think gambling no matter what you call it is allowed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

It's not gambling, it's just a mini tourney.

I suppose if that's a gamble, then Player Run Tourneys are Huge Gambling Schemes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noobmigo View Post
    It's not gambling, it's just a mini tourney.

I suppose if that's a gamble, then Player Run Tourneys are Huge Gambling Schemes.
    Not quite the same thing as a tournament. But eh I don't have the tos memorized and hey if it's not against the rules have fun. Can already see the "we were highstake staking and the host took of with our gold" threads

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kraze View Post
    Not quite the same thing as a tournament. But eh I don't have the tos memorized and hey if it's not against the rules have fun. Can already see the "we were highstake staking and the host took of with our gold" threads
    It could be secure, like it would not allow you to leave during the match, or if you left, it would take your gold. But hey, I guess I didn't see your side. I get it now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

how is that gambling? you are fighting
    Adam Baumann

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frozensummer View Post
    how is that gambling? you are fighting
    It can fall under the category of gambling, however JustG has said befor that it sounds like "good, clean fun" so we may be seeing it in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

okay i understand, i just want some challenges and fun to pvp. leveling gets boring and just pvping for nothing... Also their could be dual maps, and you could use platinum to purchase these, then space studios would make profit.
    Adam Baumann

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noobmigo View Post
    It could be secure, like it would not allow you to leave during the match, or if you left, it would take your gold. But hey, I guess I didn't see your side. I get it now.
    You know what your on to something if we take out the middleman and let the money be handled by the game and set a timer of 15s between kills (to prevent rushing) then this could work

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frozensummer View Post
    okay i understand, i just want some challenges and fun to pvp. leveling gets boring and just pvping for nothing... Also their could be dual maps, and you could use platinum to purchase these, then space studios would make profit.
    In other mmo's that support pvp there rarely is a reward system. Lineage II is probably the most extreme pvp of any game. The awards are during castle sieges trying to take it away from another clan and its alliance. But single pvp there is no reward. PK is also very big in that game. Huge mobs are killed by cooperation of hundreds of players. When mob dies good gear and weapons drop. Pl is not hardcore its casual. The maps don't support huge tournaments where prizes are obtained.

PL Characters Timbabird-55 Oldsillymage-55 SL Character Oldblaster-20
    Timbabird lvl 55 Oldsillymage lvl 50+

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

uh we can do that now we just a need someone to hold the cash lol its not hard
    let the name simnar echo trough time
    http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/...ncostume-1.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Staking - "Money or property risked in a wager or gambling game. Often used in the plural. See also 'bet'.

I suspect the principle of staking may not be the real problem but it could still possibly be linked to a mild form of gambling by definition, and gambling is something the devs have repeatedly said they will NEVER code into the game.

I'm thinking the issue would be how to securely implement this to ensure any player can't be exploited in any way. Again there are plenty of previous discussions on this and if memory serves me right they generally can be summarised in many people liking the idea, some disliking it and a general agreement that it's best to self manage as it's not likely to be fully implemented in game any time soon.

You could always organise a PvP challenge for a stake? Say, best of 5 matches and make it an epic battle...

I know little to nothing about PvP but I'm loving the soon to be introduced league and competition functionality that will allow for competitions like this for anything from 2 or more players...
    Last edited by Redbridge; 07-19-2011 at 02:23 AM.
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    Staking - "Money or property risked in a wager or gambling game. Often used in the plural. See also 'bet'.

I suspect the principle of staking may not be the real problem but it could still possibly be linked to a mild form of gambling by definition, and gambling is something the devs have repeatedly said they will NEVER code into the game.

I'm thinking the issue would be how to securely implement this to ensure any player can't be exploited in any way. Again there are plenty of previous discussions on this and if memory serves me right they generally can be summarised in many people liking the idea, some disliking it and a general agreement that it's best to self manage as it's not likely to be fully implemented in game any time soon.

You could always organise a PvP challenge for a stake? Say, best of 5 matches and make it an epic battle...

I know little to nothing about PvP but I'm loving the soon to be introduced league and competition functionality that will allow for competitions like this for anything from 2 or more players...

the only problem is: WHAT IF THE CASH HOLDER RUNS WITH YOUR MOENY YOU CANT REPORT HIM OR COMPLIAN ON FORUMS CAUSE THE DEVS SAID NOOOOOO BUT YOU DID IT ANYWAY!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simnar View Post
    the only problem is: WHAT IF THE CASH HOLDER RUNS WITH YOUR MOENY YOU CANT REPORT HIM OR COMPLIAN ON FORUMS CAUSE THE DEVS SAID NOOOOOO BUT YOU DID IT ANYWAY!!!
    Very good point... However you look at it everyone, will have various different opinions, as there is no right or wrong. But, anything like staking will always have an element of risk and/or luck, and in my book that brings it into gambling territory, which makes me uncomfortable for various reasons.

Firstly, as you have highlighted, the safety/security of the stakes. This could be included int the code of the game but would the devs then be seen to be condoning a mild form of gambling?

Secondly, is there actually any amount of luck involved and is it gambling? Debatable.

Finally, what are the benefits of introducing this into PL? Or, would you be opening up a can of worms. Even, without anything staked currently, I would suggest PvP attracts the majority of drama in game and on the forums. Imagine if gold or items were stakable? What sorted of additional problems would this cause if it was formally introduced? Would the resource required to code this and police it be of any commercial, or other, benefit to STS and it's community?

I know it's a bit of a cop out, but my gut feeling is it's not worth introducing into game. Also, I think it's risky to stake on a PvP match. Probably best avoided if you are not 100% comfortable with the people involved...
    Last edited by Redbridge; 07-19-2011 at 02:41 AM.
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redbridge View Post
    very good point... However you look at it everyone, will have various different opinions, as there is no right or wrong. But, anything like staking will always have an element of risk and/or luck, and in my book that brings it into gambling territory, which makes me uncomfortable for various reasons.

Firstly, as you have highlighted, the safety/security of the stakes. This could be included int the code of the game but would the devs then be seen to be condoning a mild form of gambling?

Secondly, is there actually any amount of luck involved and is it gambling? Debatable.

Finally, what are the benefits of introducing this into pl? Or, would you be opening up a can of worms. Even, without anything staked currently, i would suggest pvp attracts the majority of drama in game and on the forums. Imagine if gold or items were stakable? What sorted of additional problems would this cause if it was formally introduced? Would the resource required to code this and police it be of any commercial, or other, benefit to sts and it's community?

I know it's a bit of a cop out, but my gut feeling is it's not worth introducing into game. Also, i think it's risky to stake on a pvp match. Probably best avoided if you are not 100% comfortable with the people involved...
    exactamundo!!!
    Last edited by Simnar; 07-20-2011 at 11:59 AM.

None of your business, creeper... Geez...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simnar View Post
    it's called "staking" for a reason. either way, you're gambling
    Expert pvp builder and tester, horrible execution XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Register View Post
    I was trying to be optimistic. Thanks for eating my fries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That should be a new activity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sounds epic I bet 50k fighting lv 2....lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

As Phys once said, and others here, it is gambling for one (and most would agree to some extent) and it would cause drama. I think he used an example like this...

Player One: *lags out*
    Player Two: "I win!!!!" Ze Gold is mine!"
    Player One (logs back in): "Hey I lagged out, can we go again?"
    Player Two: "No! I won!"
    Player One: "Not fair, I am reporting you and flaming you on the forum"!

Staking = eventual drama, guaranteed....this is just a silly example.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    As Phys once said, and others here, it is gambling for one (and most would agree to some extent) and it would cause drama. I think he used an example like this...

Player One: *lags out*
    Player Two: "I win!!!!" Ze Gold is mine!"
    Player One (logs back in): "Hey I lagged out, can we go again?"
    Player Two: "No! I won!"
    Player One: "Not fair, I am reporting you and flaming you on the forum"!

Staking = eventual drama, guaranteed....this is just a silly example.
    LOL How about this one...

Referee: 'thx for the gold guys'
    *ignores* and *removes friend*
    Players: O.o

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!