Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Star Legends Beta Leaderboards to be Wiped for Launch

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gluttony View Post
    If the LB is filled with boosters then why not just get rid of the LB completely? It serves no real purpose except for self gratification. Most agree that the kdr doesn't make the player and since there is no real way to determine if the kills were farmed in FH or repeat CtK runs we can all agree that it's not impressing anyone once they find out how it's done. I know that when I had no deaths, I was accused of being a coward and just exiting the map before I could be killed; so I was booted from multiple games because of my kdr. There is never really going to be a way to prove just how the LB status was achieved, so why bother even having one?
    The purpose of this thread was to bring some meaning to the leaderboards, so your question was automatically answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Diodge View Post
    Have you ever played a MMo other then this? Twinking is a big huge part of almost all mmo.

high level farming -vs- low level farming - (Who can spend more time farming?) There nothing special about getting boards. It shows you have alot of time to farm.

....These games are small. very small because of what we play them on. People find ways to enjoy games. Twinking is a way.
    ((low level gear made me tons of money))
    I've played quite a few MMOs - Everquest, MS, La Tale, EVE, and a few free ones and "twinking" only exists as a very, very small subset population (less than 3-5%) of all players. It really isn't a huge part of all MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
    So XP locked farmers will be screwed over for kills while still being able to get deaths. I really thought you'd be reasonable about this. I am sorry, but I do not like this change.

A good level 51 pink drop in PL appears once in a week usually. The kills while farming for it were the only good thing to come out of that session. Why oh why do deaths have to count if kills don't while XP locked? It's severely unfair to those not abusing the XP lock for kills.
    You represent only an extremely small fraction of players that farm a specific dungeon, with locked XP, for lower-leveled pinks, which from what I understand is really used for:
    1. To rip people off by tricking them into thinking they are lv 55 pinks
    2. For dual specing, even though AO pinks can be used for loadouts (they are thousand-folds cheaper)

Is there any other major game-breaking advantages to farming lv 51/53 pinks over 55s? Because I really don't see any advantage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    To present a fair playing field for everyone, we will be wiping the Leaderboards for the launch of Star Legends: The Blackstar Chronicles. This means that your kills and deaths will be reset to Zero.

To accompany this change, we will also be changing how PvE kills are tallied. If the monster is appropriately leveled to you, or you are otherwise gaining experience from killing it, it will count toward your kills. If you disable XP or the monster is too low level to give you XP, it will not count toward your kills. Characters who are at the level cap and gain no further experience will still gain kills from monsters who are appropriately leveled against the character. For example, a level 21 character would still gain kill counts from monsters that were level 20, even though they no longer gain experience because they are at the level cap. To recap:
    • Players receive no kill count if the victim can never give xp.
    • No kill counts granted if the victim is too low level.
    • Players will receive no kill counts if they have disabled xp gain.

To be clear, we are NOT wiping the Pocket Legends leaderboards. However, in the future, you can expect the change to not allow kill counts to accrue when XP is disabled to make its way to Pocket Legends.
    YES!!! LOL. I always thought that it was kinda stupid to be able to get kills when xp is disabled. Now that has happened. Because its easy NOT to die in the beginning levels and while getting kill after kill.

Awesome good news
    MisterChris (Level 51 DexBear)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Conradin View Post
    Great job. I was hoping this would happen. And. Love the no xp no kills motto.
    I agree ;D completely
    MisterChris (Level 51 DexBear)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    To present a fair playing field for everyone, we will be wiping the Leaderboards for the launch of Star Legends: The Blackstar Chronicles. This means that your kills and deaths will be reset to Zero.

To accompany this change, we will also be changing how PvE kills are tallied. If the monster is appropriately leveled to you, or you are otherwise gaining experience from killing it, it will count toward your kills. If you disable XP or the monster is too low level to give you XP, it will not count toward your kills. Characters who are at the level cap and gain no further experience will still gain kills from monsters who are appropriately leveled against the character. For example, a level 21 character would still gain kill counts from monsters that were level 20, even though they no longer gain experience because they are at the level cap. To recap:
    • Players receive no kill count if the victim can never give xp.
    • No kill counts granted if the victim is too low level.
    • Players will receive no kill counts if they have disabled xp gain.

To be clear, we are NOT wiping the Pocket Legends leaderboards. However, in the future, you can expect the change to not allow kill counts to accrue when XP is disabled to make its way to Pocket Legends.
    That is awesome. Off to a good start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Am I the only one who already had their Stats wiped ? yesterday i was about 3k kills, & today after some lvling (trying to get 21) i was at almost 1.5k -__- i was like woah o.o.
    PL - Enchantess (Numballz) lvl 63
    Avian (Numball ) lvl 65 =]

SL - Engineer (Numbazi) lvl 39 >:]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    Assuming 2 Leaderboards were to be implemented.

How do you determine what twink level leaderboard versus end-game leaderboard would be?
    It wouldn't be based on a specific level, but on whether your XP gain was disabled or not. Kills and deaths while your XP gain is disabled would count for the twink leaderboard, kills and deaths while your XP gain is not disabled would count for the other one.

Possible issues with this idea:
    - someone aiming for the non-twink leaderboard could disable their XP during difficult dungeons, to make the deaths not count. (They probably couldn't do it just as they're about to die because it takes a bit to get to the menu.) Then again, I'm not sure this is such a bad thing. It would give people who are aiming for the leaderboards a way to take risks and join inexperienced groups they might otherwise have stayed away from.
    - people at the level cap could get on the twink leaderboard by disabling XP. But since it's usually harder to get a good ratio on a high-level character, this probably wouldn't happen too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    I have no idea how "twinking" has become so popular in this MMO as I have never seen this phenomenon expand so much in others, but all-in-all "twinks" and "leaderboards" should be completely segregated from each other. A low-leveled 'twink" grinding endlessly at Forest Haven is not a leader.
    Agreed. I've never been terribly impressed by forest haven grinding either - but some leaderboard twinks do use more challenging maps to level in (or at least they used to; not sure what the leaderboards look like now). As for why twinking is so popular, I think it gives people something to do when they're all geared up and at the cap. People basically create their own end-game content. And if someone is willing to grind a boring low-level map to get on a twink leaderboard - well, at least it keeps people in the game. And yes I agree that those folks should get their separate leaderboards from those at the cap.
    Last edited by Kalielle; 08-01-2011 at 05:42 AM.
    Kalielle - level 56 mage | Kaley - level 55 roundup bear | Clusterstorm - level 55 rush paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by noobmigo View Post
    Clusterstorm? Pshh, he merely leads the fastest games ever.
    Pocket Legends Video Tutorial

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Who said deaths won't count? Ugh they better bc you just opened a new can of worms -- locking xp to avoid deaths would be the new fad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emannyv93 View Post
    Am I the only one who already had their Stats wiped ? yesterday i was about 3k kills, & today after some lvling (trying to get 21) i was at almost 1.5k -__- i was like woah o.o.
    na bro your the only one.

ZERO COMMANDO
    Follow me on Twitter @Zero_SLegends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I still got my 23k kills =) maybe u looked to one of your other chars instead of the char with 3k kills?
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=415&d=1311352096
    Theseus | Mars | Cupido
    Rage of Mages Officer

I'm enjoying playing classical blues on my double bass
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Hmmm that's beta for you!
    Proud member of COT

NorthEast Ohio on the #1 Trout River next to Lake Erie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by themars View Post
    I still got my 23k kills =) maybe u looked to one of your other chars instead of the char with 3k kills?
    u wont for long. hehehe Did you change your name?
    """""""""There's a sucker born every minute" P. T. Barnum"""""""""

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yes lol, I like this name more themars stands for theseus and Mars. Cause I don't play PL anymore I thought I could better take another name.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=415&d=1311352096
    Theseus | Mars | Cupido
    Rage of Mages Officer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lesrider View Post
    Who said deaths won't count? Ugh they better bc you just opened a new can of worms -- locking xp to avoid deaths would be the new fad.
    True, I guess deaths should actually always count for all leaderboards.
    Kalielle - level 56 mage | Kaley - level 55 roundup bear | Clusterstorm - level 55 rush paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by noobmigo View Post
    Clusterstorm? Pshh, he merely leads the fastest games ever.
    Pocket Legends Video Tutorial

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lesrider View Post
    These are only rumors - I highly doubt this will be implemented. Deaths should count no matter what, in any instance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    You represent only an extremely small fraction of players that farm a specific dungeon, with locked XP, for lower-leveled pinks, which from what I understand is really used for:
    1. To rip people off by tricking them into thinking they are lv 55 pinks
    2. For dual specing, even though AO pinks can be used for loadouts (they are thousand-folds cheaper)

Is there any other major game-breaking advantages to farming lv 51/53 pinks over 55s? Because I really don't see any advantage...
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but farming lvl 51pinks is not to rip people off or trick them (and it's not for dual specing). It's to sell them to people who want to use them for the time it takes to get from 51 to 55. For example, a lvl 51 sewer king cap, scarab, and leather is only 4 armor and 9 damage less than the 55s but otherwise has the exact same stats (dex, hit, crit, regens). They can be used 25k xp earlier than the 55s. Thus, there's a market for them. Some people will pay a lot for them; some people think it's not worth the money. But the market that does exist is not a result of the farmers trying to trick people or rip them off.

End hijack.
    PL -- Azifaiarah - Lvl 66 Mage; Ilikealot - Lvl 70 Bird; Wachuneed - Lvl 61 Bear
    AL -- BrokenCry - Lvl 25 Warrior; Zeezom - Lvl 20 Sorcerer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherAzi View Post
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but farming lvl 51pinks is not to rip people off or trick them (and it's not for dual specing). It's to sell them to people who want to use them for the time it takes to get from 51 to 55. For example, a lvl 51 sewer king cap, scarab, and leather is only 4 armor and 9 damage less than the 55s but otherwise has the exact same stats (dex, hit, crit, regens). They can be used 25k xp earlier than the 55s. Thus, there's a market for them. Some people will pay a lot for them; some people think it's not worth the money. But the market that does exist is not a result of the farmers trying to trick people or rip them off.

End hijack.
    That's what I don't understand though - these items don't even make set bonuses, and they are so overpriced it weirds me out. I have seen a handful of players confused as to why their lv 51 and 53 gear did not make sets, only to find out they would have to sell it eventually. But, if people want to drop dough on such overpriced gear, I guess that's the current market trend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Another already explained it isn't a rip off so I'll explain the rest.

The low level 51 pink market caters to people who have a ton of ingame money to spend and want to have as painless as possible leveling experience from 51 to 55/56. They tend to vary from item to item, but while they are generally weaker than level 50 sets, they are somehow still cheaper than both level 50 set items and level 55 set items. For some people it's saving money because they can't afford level 50 sets, and for some people it's about "pinping out:" You wouldn't believe how slow the "last couple of levels" can feel without elixirs to somebody who just wants a capped character. On top of that, a low level pink can be put back into circulation immediately at 55, as opposed to level 55 ones which only get removed from the market because people want to wear them at the current endgame.

Oh, and while level 53 and 55 Brown/Purple items are 99% worthless, level 51 versions are also hot because they have the dame stats as their higher level counterparts for only slightly less armor/damage.

So yea, it isn't just for dual speccing, but that is one use.

I hope you understand now Physio. Oh, and locked farmers have been on the rise lately from what I've seen. STS really should implement deaths not counting while locked, too. If kills counting while locked is stupid, deaths counting while locked is moronic.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 08-02-2011 at 10:15 AM.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

so the first to get a kill gets on leaders? That's gonna be me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
    Another already explained it isn't a rip off so I'll explain the rest.

The low level 51 pink market caters to people who have a ton of ingame money to spend and want to have as painless as possible leveling experience from 51 to 55/56. They tend to vary from item to item, but while they are generally weaker than level 50 sets, they are somehow still cheaper than both level 50 set items and level 55 set items. For some people it's saving money because they can't afford level 50 sets, and for some people it's about "pinping out:" You wouldn't believe how slow the "last couple of levels" can feel without elixirs to somebody who just wants a capped character. On top of that, a low level pink can be put back into circulation immediately at 55, as opposed to level 55 ones which only get removed from the market because people want to wear them at the current endgame.

Oh, and while level 53 and 55 Brown/Purple items are 99% worthless, level 51 versions are also hot because they have the dame stats as their higher level counterparts for only slightly less armor/damage.

So yea, it isn't just for dual speccing, but that is one use.

I hope you understand now Physio. Oh, and locked farmers have been on the rise lately from what I've seen. STS really should implement deaths not counting while locked, too. If kills counting while locked is stupid, deaths counting while locked is moronic.
    The reason sewer pinks and purps are used as boosters over ao is for a second or possibly third kit (12 stat points vs 8) however not counting deaths would be worst idea since Greedo shooting first. Can already see people locking before a boss to avoid a death. But IMO no matter what's done the people on the board will be populated by those that find the easiest path or spend the most plat on defense and attack elixirs.
    Just my 2 plat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kraze View Post
    The reason sewer pinks and purps are used as boosters over ao is for a second or possibly third kit (12 stat points vs 8) however not counting deaths would be worst idea since Greedo shooting first. Can already see people locking before a boss to avoid a death. But IMO no matter what's done the people on the board will be populated by those that find the easiest path or spend the most plat on defense and attack elixirs.
    rlly?