In pvp you dont just rely on your DPS and attck speed, if you have the highest DPS doesnt mean you will get a big chance to win, in avian(archer) for me is quite powerful enough but agree on its luck of survival, but then again, a good balance of stats and order of skills and every movement you will do inside the arena, every use of your mana is vital. Skills is very important since your skills has the most chance not to miss, weapons attck are just a secondary blast since they miss alot in pvp, yes bows are very reliable on mobs, but players dont have same stat with mobs.
I play with few good players, and i find it so fun, believe me, if pvp will always be like that,gee its a hell of a fun. I play with mage, used int archer, and the fight last for 10mins, which is so cool. Since he balance his stat well and use his skills pretty wise, also the same thing with bowbear vs intbird-intbear vs intbird.
And i do agree hybrids are not an issue in this game, hybrids are just a unique class just like if you do a SUB-CLASS... But in PL's case hybrids been born because full str bear elope with full int mage and int bird is born and so on...

JKA avian level 40
xjkax bear level 40