Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive: Why bears have the short-end of the character stick -- Long read.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    I read all 13 words

Now, where did you get that Charge idea from? O.o
    I think some zeroes after 13 are invisible

From this warrior who owned me in another game at mid-level, in a desert town, while I was on my archer

But seriously, almost every game I've come across has some sort of Charge or Rush for warriors, it's almost expected. Although Beckon is our distance closing skill, it just doesn't cut it. Too complex. You have to deal with speed of pull, range of pull, Hit/Miss, being pushed back/rooted, too much. We just need to run to our opponents. Lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    I think some zeroes after 13 are invisible

From this warrior who owned me in another game at mid-level, in a desert town, while I was on my archer

But seriously, almost every game I've come across has some sort of Charge or Rush for warriors, it's almost expected. Although Beckon is our distance closing skill, it just doesn't cut it. Too complex. You have to deal with speed of pull, range of pull, Hit/Miss, being pushed back/rooted, too much. We just need to run to our opponents. Lol.
    Hmmm...this warrior must have been extremely talented, dashing and let us not forget the ladies must love him

On a more serious note (although not much more serious) I would agree. An offensive type move would be nice....the move from the unnamed game was very handy to have that kind of semi-ranged attack move, instead of being pure crowd control. Like ya said, Beckon is very powerful...but defensive in nature (at least in PvE).
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Love the suggestions Elly! I feel very strongly for bears too, and I think you are dead on with the skills and all! GO ELLY! lol
    To view this information you need a Spacetime Studios® Gold™ Account

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    Hmmm...this warrior must have been extremely talented, dashing and let us not forget the ladies must love him

On a more serious note (although not much more serious) I would agree. An offensive type move would be nice....the move from the unnamed game was very handy to have that kind of semi-ranged attack move, instead of being pure crowd control. Like ya said, Beckon is very powerful...but defensive in nature (at least in PvE).
    "the ladies must love him", I don't know about that.. I've gotten a few messages from damsels in distress looking for this knight in shining armour, but I doubt they're really damsels

Seriously, you're right, Beckon does seem to be defensive. Even in the unnamed game, the Charge skill did not provide an automatic win for a warrior, just a better fighting chance if used well.

Quote Originally Posted by Survivorfan View Post
    Love the suggestions Elly! I feel very strongly for bears too, and I think you are dead on with the skills and all! GO ELLY! lol
    Thank you! Always good to know a fellow bear enthusiast. These are just suggestions, however, but hopefully the point gets across

Edit : Weird, if I copy a quote it comes off in a different font 0.0
    Last edited by Ellyidol; 08-01-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    378 Posts

I use a Dex bear so several of these problems I don't suffer from, although I have seen taunt fail many times. From my experience I see beckon as a bear's key skill, and none of the other race really have key skills. But as long as bears are supposed to be close range (pure), they need to have a rooting skill like the other two

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elyseon View Post
    I use a Dex bear so several of these problems I don't suffer from, although I have seen taunt fail many times. From my experience I see beckon as a bear's key skill, and none of the other race really have key skills. But as long as bears are supposed to be close range (pure), they need to have a rooting skill like the other two
    Do you mean in PvE? Or PvP?

These problems don't exist for dex bears in PvP because you either kill or be killed. They only truly shine when you have a primary "tank", to be more exact, a meat-shield in front of you. Custom set dex bears with Rage on = win as long as they live.

The only existing issue for dex bears in PvP is the range, which is actually more exaggerated because of how soft dex bears can be. One of the main reasons why I reverted back to being a pure melee bear was exactly this. Dex bears don't have a chance against good birds/mages. With luck, your Beckon + Stomp crits, and you dodge their attacks, you win. If both characters crit, you'd be dead before your Beckon pulls him to you.

But for PvE, oh yes, dex bears are lovely
    Last edited by Ellyidol; 08-01-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

After some testing, added some sections to the OP.

These problems are more noticeable as you progress to end-game. I played at 15 PvP (though this doesn't really count, all classes don't have all their skills yet), 25 PvP, 35 PvP, then jumped to end-game PvP, and played with two mindsets,

1. I am not looking for said problems, everything was balanced.

2. I am looking for the problems, putting myself in the said situations to find a way out.

In a nutshell, I could not help but think of the four problems no matter what mindset I was in. I'll try to take photos on situations that showcase the problems, such as important skills being on cooldown (Beckon, Stomp) but being frozen/rooted in place with nothing to do but stand there.

2. Okay, don't improve bear damage, just make us real tanks. Not a "tank" that relies on dodge to live, neither a "tank" that has to kite to survive. A real tank that's meant to dive in and get down and dirty in the front lines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

bears need more area of effect attacks, right now theres only really 2; beckon and stomp (hellscream is a debuff)

i suggest get rid of that health regen one and one of the slash attacks
    and replace them with charge and an attack where you spin around - tornado slice maybe
    STS SUBREDDIT
    Reddit / Steam have claimed me and my soul. aka less Spacetime games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

think of the combos then! EPIC!!!

charge into a crowd tornado slice, beckon then stomp!

It would look mad if you were soloing
    STS SUBREDDIT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

i like it bravo here have a
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge
    Is the world ready for 2 Simnars...?
    http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x332/simnar/216612_10150255720602333_508677332_7564176_7469545  _n.jpg

Blogger
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

I like my bear but i agree and im kinda a little frustrated i wanted full str for best skill workage but if i go full str my fury set hit % is like 66 well i cant be a tank with 66 hit % you will miss every pull taunt and so on so i think they messed up on the bear

PL) razerfingers, razer, kinglewi SL) deadspace, razerfingers, sharpshooter DL) trueblood, razerfingers, sharpteeth AL) razer, razerfingers, billionaire, donaldtrump

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

am i the only one that has a duel spec int str bear lol
    their stats are quite nice (%110 hit 21 crit 738 health 17 h/ps 10 m/ps)

sorry to hear about your laptop simnar
    STS SUBREDDIT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Barrington View Post
    am i the only one that has a duel spec int str bear lol
    their stats are quite nice (0 hit 21 crit 738 health 17 h/ps 10 m/ps)

sorry to hear about your laptop simnar
    i realy need that corner
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge
    Is the world ready for 2 Simnars...?
    http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x332/simnar/216612_10150255720602333_508677332_7564176_7469545  _n.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

nice thread first of all

now just to clarify my opinions are shortsighted since i dont have a character over lvl 31
    however one thing that struck me from the beginning of the game was what the main stats (str, dex, int) increase

you would think that any melee would have a much greater hit chance than a ranged weapon thus i think str should increase hit % the most and dex should increase hit% the least (i think its the other way around right now, correct me if im wrong)

from my limited experience, bears have terrible hit % when they should be the highest since they are meant to be a melee character

i think this change would resolve a lot of problems, even in low lvl pvp since full dex bears would no longer be viable due to a crappy hit% and most would be forced to go dual build (with mostly str) or full str and then birds and mages might have a chance to actually kite like they are supposed to

because atm the only thing ive seen a low lvl dex bear have problems with in pvp is a well played pally due to some crazy high heals
    PL - Eznite, Tachmonite, Adullam, Kelach
    SL - Adino

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with every thing. In PvP beckon gives a confuse bonus and it pulls the enemy toward u.(if u hav 6 becon stomp and rage the its nearly a 1 hit against mage with 400 hp) bird it just confuses it enough to do damage and the finish it off with a high damage weapon. So bears don't always hav the short end of the stick.(if u play ur cards right)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Well, they also took dodge away from Dex and gave it to Str, which makes absolutely no sense at all.

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdinoEznite View Post
    you would think that any melee would have a much greater hit chance than a ranged weapon thus i think str should increase hit % the most and dex should increase hit% the least (i think its the other way around right now, correct me if im wrong)

from my limited experience, bears have terrible hit % when they should be the highest since they are meant to be a melee character
    This is the one thing that I never understood about bears. You're up close and personal. You should have the inate ability to hit something with a sword, right? I mean, if you're strong enough it's not like you have a problem swinging that thing around.

I guess it would be a different story if you were Mr. Magoo the Barbarian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixking View Post
    Grrr they answer drews question but not mine! That makes me mad,grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    We have leet lv 55-56 players dying at Plasma Pyramid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengotengo View Post
    It's like someone gave me a bag of M&Ms, but there's a handful of candy-coated rabbit turds in the bag somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

The problem is that with that logical explanation, this is still a fantasy game.

Instead of increasing hit%, and AOE attacks (You guys have more than avians, lol) perhaps an upgraded sort of Iron Blood that decreases damage for a short while. The short while would be all that you need, as that's how long PvP matches at end game usually last. A LOT of damage, not some measly 30 armor from Iron Blood.

Like, a self buff/summon armor that absorbs about 150 damage, or maybe reduces damage done to you by about 60 more. That would be great, it would be helpful, I'm not sure it would help very much though. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You have a very valid point. I agree with your suggestions. Very thought out suggestion nicely done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Holding Aggro and a Charge (being able to run faster, much like the pot capability) would level the field quite well without any overbalance. I'm definitely all for that.
    HTC Evo - Evo acting up? Check out this post for tips!
    Cidxesyl 56 Pure Mage | Lysdexic 56 Bow Bear | Sixdelyc 21 Junk Mage