Thread: Gavry's Great Ideas

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gavry's Great Ideas

As I'm a bit of an ideas guy I felt like putting together a list of my suggestions for this great game and maintaining them in this thread. Kind of like a blog, but I can't write those.

Friends List

As I keep extending my friends list. Pretty bloody crazy how big it is now. I was thinking it would be great to have some statistics and sorting in it. My ideas as follows:

1. Show total number of maps player with each person. Be able to sort listed based on this.
    2. Allow a personal rating, like 1 to 10 stars for each friend. Be able to sort with that.
    3. Show total minutes played with each friend in a map. Sort on that.

etc

Zone Builders

Back in the day, I played, in my opinion, the best text based MUD going around when I was at University. It was called TorilMud/Sojourn and at its peak had a heap of players for that type of game. For those unaware, MUDs, where the forefather to the current MMORPGs that we all love now.

The thing that made TorilMud so fantastic was it had a good group of Zone builders, all ex, or current players, who were continually adding exciting new content to the game, and all unpaid. At its peak there was a new zone being added every other week, and I'm talking BIG zones with extravagant quests, equipment and creatures.

Much like that, I was wondering if Spacetime would ever consider opening up Zone Builder positions? The key points of this would be as follows:

1. Unpaid role. I think there would be quite a few members of the playing community right now who would like to contribute.

2. I'm hoping there is a nice zone building tool that Spacetime use right now to construct their current zones. This would be released to those zone builders who where accepted.

3. Zones Builders would provide their completed zones to Spacetime, becoming their ownership, to sell/give away as they saw fit.

4. Zone Builders would only be able to use the current tile-set and creature/equipment models as the game currently has. Even with what is currently there, there are an absolute multitude of different zones that could be built.

5. Finished zone would be approved by Spacetime before released.

6. Spacetime would add a test phase to new zones. During this period selected players would test the zone for balance and bugs. During testing kill/deaths would not increase when in the zone, as with XP and gold. Any equipment collected would also be lost when leaving the zone. This would make sure everything was balanced before being officially opened.

7. As quests and more tile-sets, creature models and equipment models are introduced by Spacetime the number of different zones that could be built would expand exponentially. Spacetime could then spend time just building models and tile-sets and leave the new zone construction to the builders. Add some Elemental models and air, fire, and water plane zone could be added for example.

8. The added benefit of this is that there would end up being a whole lot of different zones for a particular character level. Everyone wouldn't have to level from 30-35 in the swamps any more.

Skill Overhaul

Full document covering the whole idea here

Equipment Weight & Bags

I don't like the current idea of buying slots. In it place, and I'm afraid this will take a bit of work, I think equipment should have weight. As you hold more in your inventory you get weighed down. The more you are overloaded the slower you move, the lower you AC and damage become. Now to counter this add bags. Standard bags will help a little, backpacks and the like. For Plat, my preference via a quest, allow people to get magical bags. Can carry a lot of weight with no effect. In essence people will buy inventory slots, but not feel like they are just getting ripped off. I'd much rather spend 10P on a bag that can hold 250 items without encumbrance than buying straight out 250 inventory slots.

Group Game Mode

Add a new type of New Game mode. Rules are as follows:

1. You have to start from the first map in a campaign.
    2. You have to play through sequentially.
    3. You can't join a group once its started.
    4. Bosses will ALWAYS drop pink. A selection of items relevant to the boss type.
    5. Sub-bosses ALWAYS drop pink or purple. A selection of items relevant to the boss type.

That way people can still farm, and maybe get the same number of items over the same time, or get an organised group together and play through for guaranteed items.

Expand on this by adding a group equipment pool where all pinks and purples automatically go into, that rather than individuals. Add a random dice option and you have a nice group way of playing rather than the current every-man-for-himself approach.

Plasma Pyramid Map

I propose a nice little change to the Plasma Pyramid map in AO2.

1. Change the Lesser D'Jinn to an Anubis
    2. Add three Lesser D'Jinn spaced out in the early part of the level.

This would add one more pink chance to the end and spice up the tedious slog through the early part of the level.

Group Stash Mode

When you select Group Stash Mode all equipment and money is added to a group pool rather than individuals. When a map, or maps if you want, is complete its time to split the loot. A random player would be selected and they can choose one item from the stash, then the next player is chosen and so on. Each player must be chosen before someone gets another turn. At any time everyone can select SELL. If all players select SELL the rest of the stash is automatically sold and all money is equally split.

Interactive Maps

I would love to see interactive features added to maps. Some of these would be great when quests come in, others could be added now. My ideas are stuff like:

1. Doors
    2. Keys
    3. Traps
    4. Puzzles, high Int characters can solve them, low have trouble.
    5. Teleporters

etc

Enhanced Items

Currently items are all pretty similar. Each new expansions just added a little more H/s or M/s, a little extra DPS etc. It would be great if items had a big overhaul and some cool new features were added to them. Some ideas are as follows:

1. More damage procs.
    2. Non damage spells procs. Rage, Evade, Haste, Stone Skin etc
    3. Heal or Mana procs. Like drinking a pot.
    4. Spell effects you can't get from skills

All these would have low chances of firing, with the chance directly related to the rarity.

Added to this it would be good if when you clicked on an item you got a new window pop up over the right side of the inventory window so more detailed information could be shown. There are already a number of items that have more features than can be shown in the current interface.

Item Rarity Indicator

As this is more of a pick up and play game rather than the hard core MMORP like WoW I though it may be a nice little addition to add some type of Item Rarity indicator.

For those of us who play quite a bit, knowing what is rare and what is pretty common is fairly easy. For those however, who only play sporadically, knowing if an item is rare or not, and its potential value is a lot harder. I'm sure there have been players who have gone through level 5 of AO2 and scored a blaster only to be talked into trading it to a seasoned player as they had no idea of its rarity. Not hard to see why as the stats aren't anything fantastic. I have mocked up my idea in an image below:

Last edited by Gavry; 01-05-2011 at 12:57 AM.
    GAVRY - LEVEL 50 TANK | BAVIAN - LEVEL 50 CASTER
    Gavry's Great Ideas Thread | Pocket Legends Manual Thread | Skill Overhaul Document | Quest Overhaul Document
    To my friends, thanks for the good times. Goodbye

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gavry View Post
    1. Show total number of maps player with each person. Be able to sort listed based on this.
    2. Allow a personal rating, like 1 to 10 stars for each friend. Be able to sort with that.
    3. Show total minutes played with each friend in a map. Sort on that.

etc
    Also, you should be able to sort your friends by how much you play, chat, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by Gavry View Post
    4. Bosses will ALWAYS drop pink. A selection of items relevant to the boss type.
    5. Sub-bosses ALWAYS drop pink or purple. A selection of items relevant to the boss type.
    That would make pinks more common, I realize the rate for each item would stay the same, but still the amount of players getting the item would increase! It wouldn't be as challenging to get a rare item.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the guild system will take care of the whole friends list system if im seeing what ur trying to accomplish here, by allowing you to know who you play with the most.
    The bag things a lil to much for me, i dont wanna be running in a game were half the teams crawling through the sand cause there to cheap to buy room.
    I do like the idea for making people progress naturally through the dungeons, but to me if ur gonna do this you would have to make the boss encounters much more difficult or like Mystic said it would flood the market with pinks. Other than that im up for anything resembaling a raid :P

Izbar-Fnord 45 Enchantress BOO YAH!!!
    Izbart 45 Archer TWEET FREAKING TWEET!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Remember to get to the big boss levels you have to play through 4 or 5 maps first.

In that time you could have farmed the second last map in AO 30 times.
    GAVRY - LEVEL 50 TANK | BAVIAN - LEVEL 50 CASTER
    Gavry's Great Ideas Thread | Pocket Legends Manual Thread | Skill Overhaul Document | Quest Overhaul Document
    To my friends, thanks for the good times. Goodbye

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

I really like the rarity indicator and the extended detail on the items! Good show!

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaldream View Post
    I really like the rarity indicator and the extended detail on the items! Good show!
    I LOVE the Rarity Indicator also!!!
    Nice ideas!

Steve
    ARCANE Level 41 Warrior, Level 41 Sorcerer
    Pocket Legends Level 75 Enchantress, Level 75 Warrior, Level 75 Archer,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

awsome ideas bud!
    Xhell Lv60 Pure bird
    Xhelly Lv 54 Pure tank
    PvpLegend Lv 35 Copp bear
    Infinitymasta Lv 16 Dex bear

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

I really love your ideas Gavry but only one problem I see. This is a game on a hand held device, I don't think we will see such customization until the PC version drops. Spacetime has shown us that devices can be just as powerful as a PC but some do have limits. Iphone works just fine but there are complaints that other devices are preforming slowly as it is. Customer before content.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I didn't even know gavry still played...
    You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need. ~Vernon Howard
    Announcing the Pocket Legend Fan Site!! Become Part of the Phenomenon!!