Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Censored guild chat...really?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Flowman, that's how it used to be before the auto-mute system. I doubt they'll go backwards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

ah I stopped playing PL for a few months, don't remember the old chat system.
    Auto muting in general is just too much in my opinion. You can get around the censor so easily by just leaving out 1 letter anyways. I dont even care if normal chat is censored to the point where I can't say anything other than my name, just give me back my guild chat. There is now no way to differentiate between guild personalities. .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Muting in guildchat just absolutley doesnt make any sense to me. I got muted the first line I wrote after logging in yesterday when beta extension hit...I got so mad I logged. Burns me up..
    http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3386/apocr.jpg

Gears of War Officer - Apoc/Apocx/Budlight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

I don't think our guild can function with a censored guild chat...we'll all be constantly muted. We'll have to learn sign language.

Shoot 3 times then spin clockwise for big bug blast runs
    Shoot twice, dance, and shoot again for shut up zbooo

5.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #25
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

This is intended

Profanity and bigotry have no place in Spacetime Studios products. We have a large number of younger players and intend to provide them with as clean and safe of an environment as possible.

If we release a more adult title in the future, we will evaluate our profanity rules for that title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lol. Wow thats going to take some getting used to..I miss the Everquest days when there werent any rules....man oh man how times have changed.
    http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3386/apocr.jpg

Gears of War Officer - Apoc/Apocx/Budlight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

Might as well merge all guilds together now then, because they're all identical personality wise without the ability to use the only means of communication we have to the fullest ability :\ At least put asterisks in place of words in the guild chat...getting muted for 5 minutes and having absolutely no way of telling anyone you're muted is very counter productive. Every game has young players, it's inevitable. As Banned already stated, this game is based off of shooting other humans with guns, and by killing things you occasionally gain a reward. So by that model, killing things is profitable. This was obviously meant to be funny but is actually very true. I think killing things with weapons has a stronger message than someone using language that I'm sure the vast majority of these little kids parents use at home, or even use themselves. Again, censor public chat and private messages all you want. I agree those should be filtered. But if you join a guild, you should know what you're getting in to. If you don't like the language used, leave and join one with different language rules. I've played games with chat filters, and I've played games where moderators can mute you in game permanently for typing around these filters. But I've never, ever, played a game that has auto muting combined with no way to remove the filter.

But I'll have to respect your decision; your game, your rules.
    Last edited by Flowman; 08-03-2011 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

I find it strange that people even think bad language is ok....

I'm no saint in RL but I think auto mute/ban is one of the best features of PL and SL and is a major contributing factor to the high standards. check out virtually all the other MMO environments and the language and offensive behaviour you have to endure.

STS gets my vote on this, sorry folks for disagreeing with many of you....
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    I find it strange that people even think bad language is ok....

I'm no saint in RL but I think auto mute/ban is one of the best features of PL and SL and is a major contributing factor to the high standards. check out virtually all the other MMO environments and the language and offensive behaviour you have to endure.

STS gets my vote on this, sorry folks for disagreeing with many of you....
    How can you think auto mute is beneficial? My phone saves words I use that aren't in the dictionary. I'm 22 years old and I'm not a stay-at-home nerd...my texts are what you'd expect from a 22 year old male. This means my saved words are as well. Lag + tricky touch screen buttons that don't always respond to the speed I type lead to spelling errors, forgotten letters, and auto corrects. How can you say that auto muting someone for a spelling error or the fact that 2 words used in unison combine to form a blocked word. It's not a computer keyboard where whatever we press happens. It's a cell phone for the majority of us, and these damn smart phones have minds of their own O_O

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flowman View Post
    How can you think auto mute is beneficial? My phone saves words I use that aren't in the dictionary. I'm 22 years old and I'm not a stay-at-home nerd...my texts are what you'd expect from a 22 year old male. This means my saved words are as well. Lag + tricky touch screen buttons that don't always respond to the speed I type lead to spelling errors, forgotten letters, and auto corrects. How can you say that auto muting someone for a spelling error or the fact that 2 words used in unison combine to form a blocked word. It's not a computer keyboard where whatever we press happens. It's a cell phone for the majority of us, and these damn smart phones have minds of their own O_O
    Before we embark on what might end in a flaming war.... I'm entitled to my opinion.... but it's just my opinion and unless someone give me some great other opinions or evidence that changes my mine, it's probably gonna stay the same.

We are allowed to disagree. So there no need to argue about each others opinions.

I'm almost twice your age so my approach to this issue is always gonna be more conservative, but as I've said plenty of times before, my 14 your old daughter plays this game and quite simply I don't want her exposed to the kind of rudeness, bigotry, etc that often occurs (and still does to a small extent).

If people can't communicate without someone else with being rude then that's not my problem, and it shouldn't be.

If your saying you should have the right to say what you want to your friends, then suggest a fool proof way of implementing that so the small minority of idiots can't abuse it. I can't think of one...

If your saying the only errors are accidental then that is a combined problem with understanding your phones autocorrect and STS improving the filter. They have always said that they will look into accidental mutes/bans as they have full access to all chat logs and can clearly see what is accidental and what isn't.... Why not contact them directly and help them improve the system, they'd appreciate it...

My wife can testify to my fowl mouth so I'm not anti swearing.... But we are often playing this game with new ppl who might be someone's son, daughter, mum, dad, etc....

I think I understand you want to be able to use your normal everyday language to play a game in your own free time and feel you shouldn't be censored but I just disagree.... It not a problem that we disagree, I just wouldn't have gotten into PL if there was lots of profanity, sexism, racism and homophobia...

We probably disagree with favourite sports teams, celebraties, hobbies, etc. It's honestly no great shakes...

Sorry if you can't see my point of view, but I definitely respect your opinion, I just don't agree that's all.

EDIT: lots of spelling mistakes..
    Last edited by Redbridge; 08-03-2011 at 11:03 AM.
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

I wasn't flaming you, that's just how I type. Like I keep saying, I don't care if normal public chat is filtered. There's no need to run around using offensive language in public, such things are meant for private conversation. However, if a group of people who are chatting in private choose to have a conversation about a topic of interest, I don't think they should be penalized and muted for having a conversation. Pretty sure the word penalized gets you muted as well, so just more fuel for the fire right there haha. There is a foolproof way to allow people to remove the filter and.not abuse it. Keep the filter on, and its the way it is now. Keep a filter in place, but instead of muting, just remove the entire phrase and dot let it be said period. Muting just makes people angry and that's when people abuse the filter. You can say a lot of banned words by simply removing a letter, and you see this a lot when someone is returning from a 5 minute mute. Using asterisks instead of muting can be used. Even have a filter and make the unfiltered version have asterisks instead. Still no bad words being used, but no stupid mutes. Nothing ruins the flow of conversation more than being muted. Mute me in public chat all you want, but keep the mutes out of guild chat. censor guild chat if you really...really have to...but keep mutes out of guild chat. Its easy to avoid seeing offensive language in a game...you're forgetting that real life is far, far worse. Your daughter probably hears things that would get me banned here in real.life from friends and other people...its going to happen. Keep the filter on for her and shell atleast be unexposed in the game...but don't mute the rest of us who don't mind it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I'm really considering starting a ventrilo server for my guild. Like Flow, I 100% agree with filtering and muting public chat, but filtering and muting guild chat is a bit extreme. It's like if you were kicked out of a restaurant for talking profanely with your friends, going to you car to finish the conversation, and still having the manager come tapping on your window telling you to zip it. You had every right to control my language in your restaurant, but what is said in my own car is my business, no one else's. Bad metaphor, forgive me, but my point still stands. STS should do everything they can to control language in public chat, but honestly, guild chat should be policed by the leaders of said guild, and no one else. This is just my opinion, and STS has the right to do anything they want with their games, but I strongly ask them to please reconsider this decision.
    Last edited by skavenger216; 08-03-2011 at 12:05 PM.
    Skavengr - lvl56 dual spec tank/bow bear, Alameina - lvl56 full mega int mage, MegaDooomer - lvl56 full custom dex bird

Skavenger - commando, Skavengr - engineer, MegaDooomer - operative
    Quote Originally Posted by Morawk View Post
    Your Int is only 1. You should not even be able to form words in your mouth lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slush View Post
    They're noobs, what do you expect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

No problem... its difficult to tell in typed conversations whether its gonna get heated or not..LOL

I do understand some of the points you raise and agree that some stuff doesn't make sense like allowing swearing via one letter missing words but yet muting stuff like 'boobs' (unsure if this is one or not)

can we agree to disagree....LOL

I like the system as it is and you clearly think it could do with a few alterations. We're actually not miles apart... I like the asterisks ideas for minor stuff. i think it used to be like that but unsure why it wasn't incorporated into the current system. I'm sure they said somewhere. It would prevent the muting frustration that occurs for minor stuff. I can also see for the section of younger adults that the everyday language they use isn't permitted. It probably frustrating too.

Its actually an interesting subject and I'm not sure there is a right or wrong... It's probably a difficult one for STS to try to find a balance... It would be great if someone from STS could write an article highlighting the issues they have encountered whilst on the journey to implement this kind of system and what sort of things they have had to consider and how they came to their conclusions. I think much of it has to do with needing to automate the issue to reduce the amount of emails/reports which were being handled everyday.

Apols for any drama from my side...

PS - There is every possibility I could be wrong... It does happen but don't tell anyone...LOL
    Last edited by Redbridge; 08-03-2011 at 12:27 PM.

NorthEast Ohio on the #1 Trout River next to Lake Erie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I love this filter. They make around a extra 100.00 - 150.00 a month because of it from me. My kids and there buddies play this game.
    ((pree))I would like to say about real life and what kids hear. They probably do hear some wild stuff. It doesnt mean im gona put my kids in a GAME where you can run around and swear and sexy talk. It is nice to let the kids play a GAME and I dont have to worry as much about some freak talking weird to my kids. I dont have to worry for the most part about the chat they use or read.

Your sitting here fighting for something that can get you a trip to jail here in the USA. Did you know they can give you tickets in the usa for swearing? If one person tells a cop you said F@$# and it bothers them. The officer can ticket you or even take you in for a night or two.(Disorderly conduct)

(((my opinion)))Keep the filter on every where.
    """""""""There's a sucker born every minute" P. T. Barnum"""""""""

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts

Default I agree, leave filter on

Being a parent myself, and the age limit to play the game is 14....I agree.

There is no reason for vulgar language. Its a game, if you want to talk that way,
    then get off the game, and let everyone else have a good time.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=54483&dateline=131136  6901
    PL-Ghosts | SL-DL-AL- Ghost | SL-DL-AL-Octavos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Being a parent also I agree that public chat should be filtered. But if a group of consenting adults start a guild with the intention of it being an adult oriented guild, they should be able to speak freely. I feel wierd cause I'm on both sides of the fence here, lol.
    Skavengr - lvl56 dual spec tank/bow bear, Alameina - lvl56 full mega int mage, MegaDooomer - lvl56 full custom dex bird

Skavenger - commando, Skavengr - engineer, MegaDooomer - operative
    Quote Originally Posted by Morawk View Post
    Your Int is only 1. You should not even be able to form words in your mouth lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slush View Post
    They're noobs, what do you expect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I understand you mean good by this, and I'm sure it's something we all know, but why give those who don't know, a way around the filter? (Though, I'm sure, EVERYONE knows.) You can have a good time, without the language.

Instead of stretching out, or dropping letters. Try, alternatives, like "dang", "crap", etc. If you really feel the need to express your thoughts, in that matter.

Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by Haikus; 08-03-2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Now my post look silly!:(
    Blah, blah, blah. Whatever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Teehee sorry for making your post look silly haikus =)
    Last edited by Conradin; 08-03-2011 at 02:42 PM.
    RIP Twinktastic

AEO is the way to go~now recruiting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

Thank you skav, you're one of the few who actually understand that im talking primarily about GUILD CHAT. Do whatever with public I hardly ever use it unless some kid needs a verbal beatdown by my witty remarks, otherwise all I use is pm or guild chat. If you have a child and you don't want them around swearing, don't let them be in that guild. The restaurant metaphor was actually perfect; exactly the point um trying to make. I don't know what Podunk farmer towns you guys live in, but around here 14 year olds are sleeping with eachother and drinking alcohol.

To the remark about getting arrested...im sorry but that's just stupid. You can get arrested for just about anything. Using that as an argument is pointless. I got arrested at a concert in new hampshire for transporting alcohol as a minor when I was 20. Apparently in the fine state if new hampshire you're not allowed to have alcohol in your car if you're not 21 regardless if anyone in your car is 21 or older, with the exception of a parent. My two 21 year old friends got arrested as well for allowing me to transport alcohol. We were released an hour later on $40 bail with nothing our on records. Apparently this "LAW" is only enforced in that one town in the entire state. Point is, you can be arrested for anyything, and that argument is weak.

What I don't get is, why was guild chat not muted for weeks? The entire actual beta period we had unfiltered guild chats, and I can't think iof one person who complained in my guild about the language, or anyone at all really. It was actually a lot of peoples favorite thing about guilds. Now all of a sudden its not allowed?
    Last edited by Flowman; 08-03-2011 at 03:07 PM.