Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Balefort Sewers Bear Duel Tournament

Tournament & Ladder Leader Silentarrow's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

IGN: Silentslash.
    Great tournament idea Elly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Joined. targetpracticebear name is Paleriderz
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

All in! Thanks guys

Btw, I'm hoping that when I start the tourney, the feature auto-randomizes the match-ups. If not, I'll have to do it myself when the tournament starts. I won't reveal yet how, just letting everyone know

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    Welcome guys!

That's true. You mean too many players for a single elimination would mean a really lengthy tourney right?

Double elimination means two brackets? Much like the East vs West NBA finals? I thought it meant all players play each other twice, double elimination sounds best if I was wrong!

The only issue I see now is if we end up with an odd number of participants. If that's the case, I'll join in
    The explanation will be rather lengthy. Want me to pm it to you or post here for all to see and provide feedback?
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    The explanation will be rather lengthy. Want me to pm it to you or post here for all to see and provide feedback?
    You don't have to I'm hoping I understood it from your winner-loser explanation. Basically split all players into two brackets, the winners of those brackets face each other for finals, semi finals are the matches before that. Yes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Yes and no. I'll keep it short:

Making a bracket is like working a math problem: each player must always have an opponent and end the end there can only be one. For now,you're planning for 50. When building a bracket, your total start number needs to be a MULTIPLE of 2. The reason for this is ensure "pairs" always exist. However, you will need to do backwards math in deciding your total number of entries. Using your currentfinal number, let's do the math:

50/2 = 25

As we see, there is a problem. Everyone gets to play in the first round but the second round would have to have a bye because of the odd number. This equals problems. Now, use reverse math. Again, we knkw we need to have one winner, now we just need to know how many bears to rock this party. Remember, multiples of 2:

2 - 4 - 8 - 16 - 32 - 64 and so on.

So basically, you take the last number and multiply by 2. This will ensure a equal number of opportunitys for all involved. For a good visual of this, google the NCAA Basketball Championships brackets. This is a 64 team bracket which couod give you a template to use.

Hope this helps!
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Yes and no. I'll keep it short:

Making a bracket is like working a math problem: each player must always have an opponent and end the end there can only be one. For now,you're planning for 50. When building a bracket, your total start number needs to be a MULTIPLE of 2. The reason for this is ensure "pairs" always exist. However, you will need to do backwards math in deciding your total number of entries. Using your currentfinal number, let's do the math:

50/2 = 25

As we see, there is a problem. Everyone gets to play in the first round but the second round would have to have a bye because of the odd number. This equals problems. Now, use reverse math. Again, we knkw we need to have one winner, now we just need to know how many bears to rock this party. Remember, multiples of 2:

2 - 4 - 8 - 16 - 32 - 64 and so on.

So basically, you take the last number and multiply by 2. This will ensure a equal number of opportunitys for all involved. For a good visual of this, google the NCAA Basketball Championships brackets. This is a 64 team bracket which couod give you a template to use.

Hope this helps!
    I get it! Genius

Will check the edit options when I get home, I'll make the number close enough since I can edit it anytime anyway. 32 sounds a lot while 16 sounds too little though..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I get it! Genius

Will check the edit options when I get home, I'll make the number close enough since I can edit it anytime anyway. 32 sounds a lot while 16 sounds too little though..
    I agree then I got the idea of groups.. Not teams with 2v2 still 1v1.. It's like soccer tournaments.. U start out in groups with 4-5 players in each. Every player in each group must fight each other once and each win is gaining a number of points and the two best ppl in each group (the two with most points) are moving on into this "tree" as Crimson described. This strategy makes the numbers as 20,24 and 25 available.. This might make the tournament longer instead of starting out with the "tree"..

But this is just an idea..
    Hello peeps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Yeah true

I'll wait a bit more to let more people in, worst case is we'll have to do the groups thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I like "group" idea (it is used in soccer World Cup tournament) because it allows even the worst player to play at least a game against any other in his group, instead of being eliminated after the first game. More fun for noobs like me!

<edit> This is why it is used in soccer World Cup; Europe and South America soccer teams are much better than others, but emerging country can show on themselves.
    Last edited by Tamino; 08-05-2011 at 07:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah true

I'll wait a bit more to let more people in, worst case is we'll have to do the groups thing.
    Just one question.. How familiar are you with those ways to make tournaments?

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamino View Post
    I like "group" idea (it is used in soccer Word Cup tournament) because it allows even the worst player to play at least a game against any other in his group, instead of being eliminated after the first game. More fun for noobs like me!
    Haha, true, true.. I'm not the greatest PvP'er either only beat a bird with the name "Generalriggs" once 7-1 to me.. I used my melee tank outfit .. And he used his Dex outfit but me Dodge % seemed to be a prob for him lol.. My PvP score are like 55 kills 115 deaths haha
    Last edited by KaotiicxDream; 08-05-2011 at 07:33 AM.
    Hello peeps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Making them, not so much experience. Played in them countless times though, been competing in soccer since I was a kid

Totally random grouping though right? I don't see a way in how I can determine a fair grouping other than random.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

I like the World Cup style grouping! You woukd need either 4 or 8 grouos with too two advancing from each group into a singke eliminatiin bracket. I think 32 would be a great number as 16 is a little small. I like how everyone is pitching in.

And yes, just group us randomly. With the crew who have signed up now I dont forsee any issues regarding "fairness".

Tournament & Ladder Leader AbsolutePally's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts

That was you last night?? LOL We could NEVER die! lol
    ha! yes, it was fun. My build is pretty wicked, idk how I will fair vs bears however. Not much experience in that field. May need to move a ring over from my pally.
    You better believe that my guild members bears will enter too. Jcolt and Debowe. They share my build Good luck to all.
    Retired: Alwaysdt 71 Mage. Legends never die, they just fade away.

Revelation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Making them, not so much experience. Played in them countless times though, been competing in soccer since I was a kid

Totally random grouping though right? I don't see a way in how I can determine a fair grouping other than random.
    I can help you making this tree if you want just pm me :-)
    I can help you randomize unless you got a good way to do it yourself ;-)

I like the World Cup style grouping! You woukd need either 4 or 8 grouos with too two advancing from each group into a singke eliminatiin bracket. I think 32 would be a great number as 16 is a little small. I like how everyone is pitching in.

And yes, just group us randomly. With the crew who have signed up now I dont forsee any issues regarding "fairness".
    The two from each group that are moving, their matches are now randomized again for the "tree".. I'm glad u liked the idea :-D
    Hello peeps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

So no matter what type of method I use, I would still need the same numbers right? 16 or 32, since the backward maths would still explain everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Alwaysdtf View Post
    ha! yes, it was fun. My build is pretty wicked, idk how I will fair vs bears however. Not much experience in that field. May need to move a ring over from my pally.
    You better believe that my guild members bears will enter too. Jcolt and Debowe. They share my build Good luck to all.
    Sounds good! Please tell them to enter via forums, since only the people registered here then the tournament will be able to participate

Quote Originally Posted by KaotiicxDream View Post
    I can help you making this tree if you want just pm me :-)
    I can help you randomize unless you got a good way to do it yourself ;-)

The two from each group that are moving, their matches are now randomized again for the "tree".. I'm glad u liked the idea :-D
    I will definitely need help if I can't do it alone! Thank you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

My bear... Bluexninja
    Currahee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So no matter what type of method I use, I would still need the same numbers right? 16 or 32, since the backward maths would still explain everything?

I will definitely need help if I can't do it alone! Thank you
    The numbers 16 or 32 aren't the only way if you choose to use the group method.

I'll be here at anytime to help you out ;-) Just send me a pm here on forums or pm me in-game.. I'll add ur bear in PL if alright? Ellyidol is your bear's name right?
    Hello peeps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KaotiicxDream View Post
    The numbers 16 or 32 aren't the only way if you choose to use the group method.

I'll be here at anytime to help you out ;-) Just send me a pm here on forums or pm me in-game.. I'll add ur bear in PL if alright? Ellyidol is your bear's name right?
    Do you mind explaining on the thread about the numbers possible for the group?

It'd help if everyone got a chance to read why, IMO Hope it's not too much to ask.

Since we're grouping and its 1v1, I'd assume groups need to be either 4 or 8 people? Then at least 2, 4, or 8 groups too?

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

I don't PvP at all but this sounds like a good excuse to try it out, especially on my silly pure str bear.

Sounds fun!

drewcapu / drewcapu

I'm on the west coast. Mon & Tue will be the toughest days for me to get any playing time
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixking View Post
    Grrr they answer drews question but not mine! That makes me mad,grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    We have leet lv 55-56 players dying at Plasma Pyramid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengotengo View Post
    It's like someone gave me a bag of M&Ms, but there's a handful of candy-coated rabbit turds in the bag somewhere.