Thread: Dragon Hunter Staff vs. Flame Forged Staff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts

Default Dragon Hunter Staff vs. Flame Forged Staff

As of right now, the Dragon Hunter Staff and the Flame Forged Staff are one of the best weapons that a mage can use. They both make mages an absolute one-man army and can decimate enemies if mages are well-protected. So,I will do a comparison of the weapons in every aspect possible. Also,I chose Hexstone for Flame Forged Staff because it is the one that I have and it has that "Brutality" style of stats that the Dragon Hunter Staff also has.

Dragon Hunter Staff
    •Stats:228.9 DPS,41 STR,72 INT,4.10% Crit,164 Health
    •Procs:
    -Normal Attack:Chance on normal attack to apply DoT that lasts for 5 seconds. Ticks every second and deals damage at a set % of enemy health per tick.
    -Charged Attack:Casts Consecration. Consecration deals damage,buffs damage and crit, and provides 25% damage reduction when standing in a Consecration pool.
    •Normal Attack:Hits 5 enemies
    •Consecration (Charged Attack):Hits 5 enemies and deals 2x damage

Flame Forged Staff of Hexstone (Level 51)
    •Stats:257.4 DPS,32 STR,57 INT, 55 Armor
    •Proc:Chance on normal and charged attack to apply Wildfire. Wildfire is a DoT that increases in damage over time.Wildfire has a tick rate of 1 second. Enemies that are under the effects of Wildfire have a chance on taking damage to either:
    1.Extend the duration of Wildfire by resetting its timer.
    2.Spread Wildfire to nearby enemies. When it is spread, enemies will take multiple ticks of damage depending on how many enemies Wildfire spread to.
    3.Also,multiple Wildfires can stack.
    •Normal Attack:Hits 4 enemies
    •Charged Attack:Hits 4 enemies,deals roughly 2.5x damage,and chance to stun.

Now that I showed you what the weapons do,here is a comparison of stats that I get (this is with the Dragon Hunter Staff equipped by the way):
    STR:-9
    Health:-299

DEX:0
    Dodge:0
    Crit:-4.10%

INT:-15
    Bonus Dmg:-8
    Mana:-150
    Dmg:+101.22

DPS:+130.15
    Armor:+58

Now in my opinion, the Flame Forged Staff has better stats overall. It gives waaaaaay more damage and can make up for lost health by supplying armor. Now that we got that out of the way,lets compare the procs.

•Dragon Hunter Staff:
    -Normal Attack:Chance on normal attack to apply DoT that lasts for 5 seconds. Ticks every second and deals damage at a set % of enemy health per tick.
    -Charged Attack:Casts Consecration. Consecration deals damage,buffs damage and crit, and provides 25% damage reduction when standing in a Consecration pool.

•Flame Forged Staff:Chance on normal and charged attack to apply Wildfire. Wildfire is a DoT that increases in damage over time.Wildfire has a tick rate of 1 second. Enemies that are under the effects of Wildfire have a chance on taking damage to either:
    1.Extend the duration of Wildfire by resetting its timer.
    2.Spread Wildfire to nearby enemies. When it is spread, enemies will take multiple ticks of damage depending on how many enemies Wildfire spread to.
    3.Also,multiple Wildfires can stack.

First off,Consecration is a very useful defensive skill and is a great support "mini-skill". The 25% damage reduction can really save your behind if you are trying to get away from a huge and angry mob of enemies. Though,the REAL comparison is between the DoTs they both have. The Flame Forged Staff's DoT can absolutely shred through health,especially if you have an extremely big mob of enemies. The Dragon Hunter Staff's DoT can shred through health too,but not in the same way as the Flame Forged Staff's DoT. Because the Dragon Hunter Staff's DoT only takes away a % of an enemy's health, it isn't too good against weak enemies,but against the very tough enemies, this is a beast. So to sum it all up,the Flame Forged Staff gets stronger the more enemies there are. The Dragon Hunter Staff is gets more practical to use the tougher the boss is.

I actually own both weapons and tried both out on the new Cryostar boss. Having a team of a Warrior with a Glintstone Aegis to tank the enemies,a Rogue with Dragon Hunter Daggers to stun the enemies,a Sorcerer with a Flame Forged Staff to deal damage on the enemies, and another Sorcerer with a Dragon Hunter Staff to deal big damage on the boss might be the best possible combination that I can think of against the Cryostar boss,but thats not really the topic of this kinda lengthy post that I've made. The topic of this post is to show what the strengths and weaknesses are of these two awesome staffs are and I highly recommend owning both staffs because they really are both awesome staffs and while it is pretty pricy to own both staffs, it definitely is worth it.
    Last edited by Kaziscate; 05-29-2016 at 01:44 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaziscate For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    769 Posts

I've currently got the Hexsteel staff (no hate, I'm broke), gotta say, it makes elite Wilds quite fun to watch your enemies get roasted by stacked wildfires (and the blur of crits is a nice addition)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Flame on elit underhull
    Make it rock in rolla~

Cya jams

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    385 Posts

I have also owned both staffs (not at once), and am currently using the flame forged staff.

I personally prefer the flame forged staff, since even if the enemy is tough, it can melt em (if hits both heston and preston with wildfire they die in under 10 seconds I'm pretty sure). However, I am considering purchasing a dragon hunter staff again due to the fact that the cryostar boss, and the underhul worms cannot be hurt by wildfire, and I think I'm gonna need the health boost for elite underhul.
    Ign - Coolguymage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts

nice thread
    but are you sure about hex staff hit 2 enemys?
    when hex staff got the wildfire effect ( before 2 weeks )
    I noticed that it hit to 4 ( normal attack )
    check again, I think they changed the enemy hit
    are you using 47 or 51 ? because ik you have the 47 type
    anyway

I am loving the hex staff, it's deadly
    but when you proc on big group of mobs and dot spread
    the enemys have aggro on you lol
    so proc when your shield is up

arcane staff is good for bosses who have 100000000 health
    but not good for weak enemys

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

Great analysis thanks for sharing.

Member Arlorian Realtors Association

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saud View Post
    nice thread
    but are you sure about hex staff hit 2 enemys?
    when hex staff got the wildfire effect ( before 2 weeks )
    I noticed that it hit to 4 ( normal attack )
    check again, I think they changed the enemy hit
    are you using 47 or 51 ? because ik you have the 47 type
    anyway

I am loving the hex staff, it's deadly
    but when you proc on big group of mobs and dot spread
    the enemys have aggro on you lol
    so proc when your shield is up

arcane staff is good for bosses who have 100000000 health
    but not good for weak enemys
    I haven't really noticed it,but I will update the thread. Also,I used to have lvl 47,but I now use lvl 51.
    Last edited by Kaziscate; 05-29-2016 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Great comparison, thanks for sharing this kind of knowledge with us!

Enviado de meu XT1523 usando Tapatalk
    IGN: Granitoide