Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Question?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Default Car Question?

.................................................. ..........
    Last edited by Zeus; 12-21-2015 at 10:12 PM.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Why not see if you can buy the car they gave you for a reduced 'parent' price.. That way you get the sense of responsibility, your folks see you are responsible and they can pay for the servicing...>LOL
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    Why not see if you can buy the car they gave you for a reduced 'parent' price.. That way you get the sense of responsibility, your folks see you are responsible and they can pay for the servicing...>LOL
    :O. That is good. I never thought of that. The thing is though, it still is a car technically given to me by them, and still taken from them. It used to be my mom's and dad's commuter car and I don't want them getting miles on their other cars unnecessarily, so I am leaning heavily towards the Jeep option. That and the SUV will be safer as I'm still a beginner in driving. No worries though Red, I won't be pulling donuts in your parking lot .
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    No worries though Red, I won't be pulling donuts in your parking lot .
    why not? donuts FTW.... oh not donuts...... DOH

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I think paying for the car your parents bought would show them how responsible you are and not have to relie on your parents

SupaProdigy level 32 operative SpaceReaper level 12 .Beastrocity lvl 63
    Supaprodigy level 56 bird Toquickforu level 60 Paladin! Top Shot Mafia. Empty-Space

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Great feeling buying your own car!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

You know, a certain someone I know has a birthday coming up in 3 months and will be able to drive "legally" in half a year from then with his learners permit

Seriously though, I can understand where you're coming from, but remember at the same time you're still a teenager. I'd personally do as red said and pay them off a bit for it. I think of it as normal to have your parents support you (to an extent) up until you're fully into adulthood. Paying them some money for it would show you're ready to start taking on new responsibilities, but aren't quite "jumping out of the nest" entirely. Just my little 2 cents Obviously I'm not quite yet old enough to fully understand it, but I know the satisfaction in buying something you've wanted for a long time, or even paying a fair percentage of it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

BMW r reliable cars.

Oh what I would do for a bmw
    IGN- SCARECROWWOLF

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Honestly, I would keep it until it breaks. You pay the insurance, taxes, maintenance, and any other cost associated with the car. Don't let them pay for anything. If you really want to go away from their link to the car, make sure to get your own insurance (although, it will be quite high for you).

There is nothing wrong with driving a car your parents gave you. It sounds like it wasn't their main car anyhow. If other people stare at you because you are driving a nice car your parents gave you, so what?? Let them stare. It's not their business anyway.
    Zheobird Level 71 Full Dex
    Zheomage Level 71 Full Int
    ZheobearLevel 71 Dual Dex

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So, my mom pretty much paid for a 99 Pontiac for me. About four years later I bought my own car and it is a fantastic feeling to know you purchased your own car. However, I upgraded from that Pontiac to a 2010 Kia. I drive about 60 miles a day on hwy 95 and needed a more reliable car since breaking down on that particular highway is not in my grand plans. Why would you shell out car money for a new car when you have a car that is more than adequate? I would seriously consider something else to spend your money on and save that car money in a different account to gain interest until you truly need a newer car. If you are really concerned about 'earning' it than pay them back by helping out with household finances, doing good in school, paying for whatever you can and not asking for money.

Not trying to sound harsh or anything. I'm just of the opinion that you getting something isn't bad, but taking advantage and constantly expecting to get is. Me personally, I would say thank you and then ensure that my parents never regretted giving me that car.
    Join The Movement-- itgetsbetter.org
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7skPn...e_gdata_player

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Take the BMW fool

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

I'd recommend not buying the car. It's not worth until at least after high school.

You might need the money for college and cars tend to depreciate in value very quickly, especially the luxury car manufacturers like the BMWs, which can lose as much as 50% of their value in 2 years.

The other question is, is it worth thousands of dollars just to get people to stop the stares? They might stare anyways.

Guardian of Alterra DawnInfinity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Parth, we need to talk / catch up.

I'd probably save the money for college. That's what I've done, and we're pretty much in similar situations.
    *Follow my blog, and I'll love you forever *
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaldream View Post
    She's not hot, she's sexy. Sexy steph
    Quote Originally Posted by Arterra View Post
    does it matter? we all praise and adore your presence, may your light fall upon our eyes...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    I'd recommend not buying the car. It's not worth until at least after high school.

You might need the money for college and cars tend to depreciate in value very quickly, especially the luxury car manufacturers like the BMWs, which can lose as much as 50% of their value in 2 years.

The other question is, is it worth thousands of dollars just to get people to stop the stares? They might stare anyways.
    This.

Save your money for kollege. It is more expensive than you would think.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    This.

Save your money for kollege. It is more expensive than you would think.
    Lol - I'm in university right now. I'm not getting a car until after I graduate. Not to mention, if my estimates are accurate, I will be about 50-60k in debt (likely more). Where I live, rent has been going up by about 4-5% per year and tuition always is always going up at a rater faster than inflation. I hear that in my program, Master's degree tuition is really pricey (assuming I choose to go into the Master's program).

The other thing to remember Parth, is that if you are going to university in California, given that the state has been experiencing budget difficulties and that the political system is unlikely to get anything productive done, major tuition hikes would not be surprising.

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Hey buddy,

Coming from a parent's point of view: offer to pay your parents. It will give them a great sense of joy to know they have raised a child with a great sense of awareness and responsibility. If they do no allow you to buy itbfrom them, SAVE IT. You never know what life will throw at you and the earlier you have to become financially secure, the better. You have given me hope for the younger generations!
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    Hey buddy,

Coming from a parent's point of view: offer to pay your parents. It will give them a great sense of joy to know they have raised a child with a great sense of awareness and responsibility. If they do no allow you to buy itbfrom them, SAVE IT. You never know what life will throw at you and the earlier you have to become financially secure, the better. You have given me hope for the younger generations!
    I think that Parth should discuss this with his parents. I don't think that he should buy it from his parents though ... as I mentioned above, he may need the money. Apart from education which is certainly going to command a significant sum, you never know what else life can throw at you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Ok here's the thing, I'm 16 and my dad BOUGHT me a truck, not gave me the family car, but went and bought one. Here's his reasoning:

Getting starter out is hard enough for someone, especially with a new car payment. He gave me this truck to help me get started, and to make sure I had a lifelong dependable vehicle.

The best thing you can do is sit down with your parents and explain to them What you're thinking about. See if you can make a deal with them. Keep the car until you can buy the jeep outright so you're not paying in the long run. And don't forget, you know owe them for that car, take them out for the day, and DEFINITELY say thank you about a thousand times lol.

---
    - Sent from my mobile iDevice using Tapatalk

I'm a wisp of cloud floating around somewhere
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The way I did it way back when I was still a young 'un, I got my parents to buy me a car of their choice, and I paid my parents back in installments plus interest, as you would if you took a loan from the bank.

I figured that it would give me a better sense of how much taking a loan actually means in reality, but at the same time, the money remains in the family.

The reason why I chose to let them pick the car was that I trusted their judgement on reliability more than my own, since they have all the real world experience under their belt.

This signalled to them two things.
    1) That they can trust me in understanding how life really is, and that I was ready to stand on my own two feet.
    2) That I was responsible enough to know my limits as a new driver. No point choosing a car by myself if I don't have the skills to drive it yet
    Traps are my best buds. They always pop up to greet me when I'm near...
    MIXNMATCH: Lv65 INT/STR hybrid TICKLEFEATHER: Lv63 DEX/STR hybrid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Like the others said above save the money for school. A well educated person is very likely to become a successfully businessman. You can pay them back later when you're making serious money.

<(^.^<) <(^.^)> (>^.^)>