Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should Death have Consequences?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Would you take the same risks if deaths actually had consequences?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist View Post
    I would... As pointed out in my prior post plenty of cowards already
    Just my 2 plat

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Consequences = lack of leaders. We already have tons who duck before entering a room, bears who can't crowd control, and tons of players with no concept of skill usage. These consequences would lead to an increawe of individuals running from mobs instead of attacking.

Should also point out it would be easier to leave and remake following a death which would lead to a decrease in team numbers. Again, leading to more deaths. A vicious cycle PL doesn't need.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Your idea would just create a generation of auto-attack cowards. Great idea, let's make the game worse and the general skill of the general population lower/risk-aversive.

Respectfully...one of worst ideas I have seen on forums (in general, not directed at anybody)
    Last edited by Moogerfooger; 08-17-2011 at 03:56 PM.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    Your idea would just create a generation of auto-attack cowards. Great idea, let's make the game worse and the general skill of the general population lower/risk-aversive.
    Respectfully...one of worst ideas I have seen on forums.
    Nope. I have had worst ideas

The problem I currently see is that players who spend no time improving skills or strategy can easily achieve the exact same results as players who spend the time and try and improve their gameplay. If deaths have no consequences I do not know how to fix this... Perhaps this is all good for everyone except me as well so I may be on my own on this. No big deal, the game is still fun. lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes I am ok with all this. Games should not be designed after lag-spikes and phone calls.
    This would be true if the game was not played on a phone...
    If i lost hours of work because my phone rang and i died, while playing a game ment to be played on said phone, i would deleate that game as it would be even more of a time waster then it is.
    PL - BreadKeeperzz - 55 Bear -=- BreadKeeper - 53 Mage -=- SirKeeper 10 Bear
    SL - Keeper - Commando -=- SirKeeper - Engie
    Guild - Atomic Legends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

I understand what Stomp is saying. Deaths mean zilch to most people, so people have no self preservation instinct beyond just pot spam. Some people don't even do that. You know, there's more than that. You could just, I dunno, run to reset the mobs to try again.

And people say low/zero death players don't try. Some of us try MORE than people who just let their character die instead of attempting to survive to fight again or run and gun (Kiting).

Incentivise self preservation, I say. How about the more kills you get between deaths, the more bonus XP or money you can get? Dieing resets the bonus counter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraze:385079
    Quote Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
    Con's idea ain't bad, but I think it should be for all gear on both games. K/d isn't enough of a consequence for the majority of people who play. Oh wow, I died. Back to the fight to die 20 to 50 more times, but at least the boss is dead. That's how the majority play. This consequence means nothing to them.

The k/d count only bothers rankers or people who hate dieing, like me. I hope to rank in SL but would be perfectly satisfied with just a clean death count.
    Uh idk some people seen to have lost their minds about deaths (iOS player so forgive pl only reference) but today in a fight against queen in a party of 4 birds 1 bear one of the birds switched to an auto bow and would only auto attack because he didn't want to waste pots or risk a death...I've never wished I was the host more >8^(
    Do you remember what his death count was? Maybe be was just tired? I do that with my bird too, but only if a mob is close to expiring. Why waste mana on a near dead mob?
    Last edited by bronislav84; 08-17-2011 at 06:47 PM.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

In a game like PL I don't want to be constantly tiptoeing around... Fine for solo, but that is a reason I don't solo xD
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

]Do you remember what his death count was? Maybe be was just tired? I do that with my bird too, but only if a mob is close to expiring. Why waste mana on a near dead mob?
    I don't care what his death count was or if he was tired switching to a xbow and auto only on an entire boss fight because you don't want to die is not ok. But some players are so worried about the almighty ratios the leave the whole team hanging out to dry. As this is already an issue making deaths mean something would only make the issue worse.
    Just my 2 plat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

I understand what Stomp is saying. Deaths mean zilch to most people, so people have no self preservation instinct beyond just pot spam. Some people don't even do that. You know, there's more than that. You could just, I dunno, run to reset the mobs to try again.

And people say low/zero death players don't try. Some of us try MORE than people who just let their character die instead of attempting to survive to fight again or run and gun (Kiting).

Incentivise self preservation, I say. How about the more kills you get between deaths, the more bonus XP or money you can get? Dieing resets the bonus counter.
    Not directed at you personally, but in general.

You are fooling yourself if you think that this will inspire the general PL player, many many of whom (some very good) are not on the forums or are purely casual players, into some kind of drive to become better players. I'd be willing to bet good money that a much higher percentage will just turn into run-around-and-don't-die-screw-my-runmates or auto-attacking zombies more concerned with not getting aggro or dying in general to preserve their precious k/d ratio (or not to lose gold) than trying to get better. I see it in PUGs all the time as it is now. Sure, some players might strive to get better, but again...bet you way more wouldn't. And it would deter a lot of casual players who nonetheless spend plat. If you think STS, especially in light of recent plat developments over the last few months, will do a single thing to risk discourage the casual player from playing or continuing to play/spend plat, I have an excellent bridge with a waterfront view in the Sahara Desert to sell you especially not just to satisfy an unfortunately small group of hardcore players.

I do kinda like your bonus XP idea though....hadn't ever seen anyone directly mention it that I can remember (although I forget my own phone number sometimes).
    Last edited by Moogerfooger; 08-17-2011 at 07:03 PM.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

The problem with xp bonus idea us by nature the "hardcore" are min/maxers. Most bang for smallest effort. And this would be easily exploited.
    Just got done doing some vl runs for totems. Still don't think this is a good idea however it did make me realize there should be a penalty for killing your team when you aoe traps and barrels. Something like a loss of 100 cool points or an auto boot/time out for 5 minutes to think about what you just did. Just my thought
    Last edited by Kraze; 08-17-2011 at 07:56 PM.
    Just my 2 plat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kraze:385366
    ]Do you remember what his death count was? Maybe be was just tired? I do that with my bird too, but only if a mob is close to expiring. Why waste mana on a near dead mob?
    I don't care what his death count was or if he was tired switching to a xbow and auto only on an entire boss fight because you don't want to die is not ok. But some players are so worried about the almighty ratios the leave the whole team hanging out to dry. As this is already an issue making deaths mean something would only make the issue worse.
    I agree it's not ok to do that, especially for birds who's job it is to break armor for the party. Probably was badly geared or a full attack bird who didn't wanna draw agro in a random group, when he's used to a bear drawing agro for him. Otherwise no clue. Why am I defending this guy? *shuts up*
    Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger:385367

Not directed at you personally, but in general.

You are fooling yourself if you think that this will inspire the general PL player, many many of whom (some very good) are not on the forums or are purely casual players, into some kind of drive to become better players. I'd be willing to bet good money that a much higher percentage will just turn into run-around-and-don't-die-screw-my-runmates or auto-attacking zombies more concerned with not getting aggro or dying in general to preserve their precious k/d ratio (or not to lose gold) than trying to get better. I see it in PUGs all the time as it is now. Sure, some players might strive to get better, but again...bet you way more wouldn't. And it would deter a lot of casual players who nonetheless spend plat. If you think STS, especially in light of recent plat developments over the last few months, will do a single thing to risk discourage the casual player from playing or continuing to play/spend plat, I have an excellent bridge with a waterfront view in the Sahara Desert to sell you especially not just to satisfy an unfortunately small group of hardcore players.

I do kinda like your bonus XP idea though....hadn't ever seen anyone directly mention it that I can remember (although I forget my own phone number sometimes).
    Don't worry, I usually don't take things personally, or ask if it seems personal.

As for STS, it's their games. We just play and are suggesting things. Who knows? They may like it. As long as they don't make plat required, I'll be happy. I'd like to stretch my plat as far as I can.

But yea, I figure add a positive incentive to keep a character alive. I think it should be both XP and money though, cause then it would be worthless to capped characters. Doesn't have to be these, but having X kills between deaths giving some kind of bonus is a nice incentive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraze:385393
    The problem with xp bonus idea us by nature the "hardcore" are min/maxers. Most bang for smallest effort. And this would be easily exploited.
    Just got done doing some vl runs for totems. Still don't think this is a good idea however it did make me realize there should be a penalty for killing your team when you aoe traps and barrels. Something like a loss of 100 cool points or an auto boot/time out for 5 minutes to think about what you just did. Just my thought
    Ok cap it at like 20% to 50% bonus to XP and money. Nothing too overpowering. Good? It isn't realty exploitable since it wouldn't be as strong as elixir. Just something to make people wanna not let their character die besides k/d.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 08-17-2011 at 08:26 PM.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    It ain't broke. Leave it alone. This is not WoW.
    I agree. I might be ok with some exp loss if it is not too harsh. Nothing more.
    Raulurfixit (engineer) <Serenity> guild member