Thread: Continuity of Lore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Continuity of Lore

Many large-scale MMOs exist on the market today, and offer a variety of features, themes, and game play styles. Common to many of these games, however, is a deep and consistent lore. EVE Online, World of Warcraft, and many others have taken the time to develop a back-story that provides context to the endeavors and accomplishments of players in-game as well as an opportunity to monetize ancillary products (books, movies, etc).

Having a rich and rewarding world surrounding the game does not mean that Pocket Legends has to give up its tongue-in-cheek vibe, however. As long as the themes, quests, enemies, and NPCs in the game are consistently tied into an ever-evolving world, the whimsical style of prose and jokes can be maintained.

Although the game is on a "casual" platform, the developers have shown us through their technology road-map that their plan is ambitious and anything but "casual." The lore surrounding the platform should reflect this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Meh. If I wanted to have a consistant storyline with an ever expanding lore, I'd read a book series of some sort. I like the way it is right now. Since it doesn't have a set storyline, it opens up the chance to have anything added to the Pocket Legends universe. Alien Oasis is a good example of that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Banned View Post
    Meh. If I wanted to have a consistant storyline with an ever expanding lore, I'd read a book series of some sort. I like the way it is right now. Since it doesn't have a set storyline, it opens up the chance to have anything added to the Pocket Legends universe. Alien Oasis is a good example of that.
    I'm not entirely sure I understand how the set storyline precludes adding something like Alien Oasis. World of Warcraft added a strange space-faring race mid-stream and no one seemed to think this "broke" the lore.

I think it's important not to confuse a basic structure of consistency with a "forced" story progression.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I agree with this. There isn't much of a story in the game at the moment and you are consciously aware and want to level up/find new loot, which is why you purchase a dungeon campaign. In most successful titles, leveling up becomes subconscious, and the entire game becomes a rhythmic journey which you enjoy discovering and engaging. This can be aided via cut scenes and such, even simple ones like static images along with some good narration can yield a dramatic effect to the development of the story.
    MEMBER OF THE LEGENDS CLAN

DO CHECKOUT MY SALE THREAD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJax View Post
    I'm not entirely sure I understand how the set storyline precludes adding something like Alien Oasis. World of Warcraft added a strange space-faring race mid-stream and no one seemed to think this "broke" the lore.

I think it's important not to confuse a basic structure of consistency with a "forced" story progression.

Well, that's the WoW community. Over here on the PL side, we already had people complaining about how Alien Oasis was going to break the consistency.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, that's the WoW community. Over here on the PL side, we already had people complaining about how Alien Oasis was going to break the consistency.
    ... which is exactly why I suggesting that there needs to be some underlying story that "ties it all together" .. Alien Oasis can make sense, given the proper context. I think we're expressing the same basic opinion from two different sides of the coin. I respect that many people will want it to be "casual" and not participate in the lore -- that's their option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

... which is exactly why I suggesting that there needs to be some underlying story that "ties it all together" .. Alien Oasis can make sense, given the proper context. I think we're expressing the same basic opinion from two different sides of the coin. I respect that many people will want it to be "casual" and not participate in the lore -- that's their option.
    I guess they could add some special expansions that flesh out the PL lore. These campaigns would have cutscenes, NPCs, and story specific quests. I dunno, these are just ideas off the top of my head to appeal to the hardcore and casual sides.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I guess they could add some special expansions that flesh out the PL lore. These campaigns would have cutscenes, NPCs, and story specific quests. I dunno, these are just ideas off the top of my head to appeal to the hardcore and casual sides.
    Absolutely. As long as it made sense in the "context" of the story-line, I think everyone would be happy. No pink elephants from outer space landing in the middle of the forest to reinforce the King of Hearts or something crazy. Well, even that type of tongue-in-cheek lunacy would be fine, if it made SENSE. i.e., an artifact were discovered in Alien Oasis that made it possible to communicate with said extraterrestrial space elephants, and the King of Hearts called them to his side ... blam, that campaign is "redone" and "rebalanced" for level 40-45, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Absolutely. As long as it made sense in the "context" of the story-line, I think everyone would be happy. No pink elephants from outer space landing in the middle of the forest to reinforce the King of Hearts or something crazy. Well, even that type of tongue-in-cheek lunacy would be fine, if it made SENSE. i.e., an artifact were discovered in Alien Oasis that made it possible to communicate with said extraterrestrial space elephants, and the King of Hearts called them to his side ... blam, that campaign is "redone" and "rebalanced" for level 40-45, etc.
    That is possibly the best campaign idea I have ever heard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That is possibly the best campaign idea I have ever heard.
    You, my friend, have a very similar sense of humor to mine. I think we'll get along quite well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

You, my friend, have a very similar sense of humor to mine. I think we'll get along quite well.
    Yes. I think we will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

If your interested in a PL story check my sig.

Its made by using in-game facts from campaign descriptions and NPC conversations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dizko View Post
    If your interested in a PL story check my sig.

Its made by using in-game facts from campaign descriptions and NPC conversations.
    Very cool idea! I'll be checking this out for sure over the next few days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Thanks man. New chapter comes out every few days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dizko View Post
    Thanks man. New chapter comes out every few days.
    I'd better start reading, then! Hehe.