Thread: Two skills an engineer should max

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Two skills an engineer should max

Protection and empathy ... two skills that an engineer should Max out, but I've seen to many people who only put a few points into them. Some don't even have protection. I only put one point into the personal energy shield because with one hit its gone. Useless. So I'd rather buff up my armor by 60 points for two minutes. Also Max empathy does 88-96 health points during Max heals. Sometimes less, but it does put up big numbers. And one more thing, if you don't have revive don't play an engineer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Force Shield is far from useless because it gives m/s, and Protection no longer stacking makes some people not want to take it.

You wanna talk about useless? Suppression is dang near unusable in groups.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Transference and empathy imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I don't even suppression anymore. Pain is much much better

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Also I don't like getting a ten armor buff when I can deal out the 60 the higher up should negate previous buff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Pain plus suppression is unrestricted boom when solo.

You don't get shield for the armor. You get it for the m/s. And if they made shield and Prot not stack I'd say worst blunder ever.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Pain immediately followed by suppression works wonders... Transferrence once explosion happens is solid aoe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

Also, would like to add,
    Just because an engineer is on doesnt mean u rely on him/her on healing you up at all times,
    Engies also like everyone else have to wait for each of their skills to recharge. Health pots are admittedly expensive
    but so are manapots , one of the main reasons i stopped playing my engie, so many ppl telling me to heal more heal faster
    Lol all the while rushing about aggroing everything in sight :|
    Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

the way to change the world is by doing one act of kindness at a time, care to buy some cookies?

PL: Zaltiar Lvl66| SL: Hellcharger/Alibi Lvl 41Com|Zaltiar Lvl38 Op| Warbringer 38

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bronislav84:392849

You don't get shield for the armor. You get it for the m/s. And if they made shield and Prot not stack I'd say worst blunder ever.
    He's talking about if some nub has 1 point in protection his maxed protection should negate it. Force shield is wasted points imo. 1 mana pot > points in force shield "for the m/s".
    Proud Co-Leader of Infinite Union
    Infinite Union forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arischal View Post
    Protection and empathy ... two skills that an engineer should Max out,...
    I agreed with you right up to the update where Protection no longer stacks. Engineers started dropping it, or worse, putting one or two points in the skill. Those who kept it would cast their weak Protection buff, give the team 10 armor and lock out my maxed skill. It became a Protection race every two minutes, which is not worth it to me.

Now I think an Engineer should have either max Protection, or have no Protection at all. I have taken the no Protection route, instead maxing Force Shield. I love it so far. At higher levels it gives 2 m/s. At max level it provides 120 armor and absorbs 75 damage. That's usually 2-3 hits. Sure you can't tank with it, but it will save you in a pinch and it only needs to be active 5 seconds to return the mana you spent. At level 1 it has to be active 10 seconds to return its cost, and it blows in one hit, which is a lot of wasted mana.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

To me, the issue with protection is an overall problem of communication. If you are running w 2 or more engineers I think asking what lvl protection to find out whose is higher would work wonders. I often find myself not knowing whom has the better(w/o stopping to look at the buff). Granted I keep mine at 5 b/c that equals an armor implant, so only some are going to be better.

Concerning suppression, no one seems to make a point that more points equal more mobs stunned(7 at max rank, if i remember correctly) solo or not that's kind of a big deal. I don't have it maxed b/c there just aren't enough points to go around but I have tried it. if your going to go that route, it's probably best to be the 2nd engie.

My summary: we aren't just clerics, or healers. Our class description says we control the enemy. Stun and mez work, it's the perception of other classes about what we should be doing where the problem lies. No apologies.

Final note: all things considered, not having 1 rev, and at least one of the heals(trans or emp) fully maxed makes you less useful, but ignoring all the great utility abilities(pain, sup, prot) is pigeon holing us which is always bad.
    Last edited by GigaBits; 08-25-2011 at 09:25 PM.
    You may call me bits or giga...just don't call me at dinner time
    Gigabits-engineer(main)-Bitsoarmor-commando-bitsopain-operative-Bitsohelp-engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reggin:392850
    Pain immediately followed by suppression works wonders... Transferrence once explosion happens is solid aoe
    I'm sorry but this is reversed. Suppression followed by Pain is the correct order. It keeps other mobs from moving away from the explosion AOE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebalere:392892
    Quote Originally Posted by bronislav84:392849

He's talking about if some nub has 1 point in protection his maxed protection should negate it. Force shield is wasted points imo. 1 mana pot > points in force shield "for the m/s".
    Well yes, higher ranks should negate it definitely.

If you're rich and don't mind spending 20k pots (Exaggerated naturally) per run, be my guest. I for one use a max of like 5 pots each, if that. When my mana is half way I use Shield and Res and it's back up in less than a minute. No pot waste.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 08-25-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arischal:392834
    Protection and empathy ... two skills that an engineer should Max out, but I've seen to many people who only put a few points into them. Some don't even have protection. I only put one point into the personal energy shield because with one hit its gone. Useless. So I'd rather buff up my armor by 60 points for two minutes. Also Max empathy 0does 88-96 health points during Max heals. Sometimes less, but it does put up big numbers. And one more thing, if you don't have revive don't play an engineer!
    The conversion for armor to reduce damage is roughly what? 53 armor to minus 1 damage so is an extra 60 all that important? That means an extra point of damage every second without it, even at Guardian its his initial punch that kills you and not this extra one point per second.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Protection is not as important as it seems as was pointed out above.

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...a-Prime-Study!

I know I'm respecing later when I get to 25. Check out kamikazee's attack engi build.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Engies without protection maxed are just slighty tougher but lower damage ops. If you want damage, just go play op and be better at it. If you go attack engie, you'll be burning both health and mana pots, and have all of the aggro.

Suppression and shield both are wasted points imo. Better off to add those 2 points in revive to get better range and lower power cost.
    Raulurfixit (engineer) <Serenity> guild member