Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elly's Build/Combos/Gear, need opinions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Default Elly's Build/Combos/Gear, need opinions.

Elly's Build/Combos/Gear

Hi all!

This short guide is really my character information. This is not, by any means, a full on general guide, but more of my personal character information.

A few things to establish before the guide:

1. I've divided this guide into different campaigns. This guide was originally made during the Numa Prime level cap, but since that level is no longer the cap, I moved on to Slouch-o. The Numa section for Build/Combos/Gear is still available, but I just put it under a 'Spoiler' tag to avoid having to see it every time. A 'Spoiler' tag is a button that hides the info on it, only users on a PC/Mac can see it.

2. This guide has some reference to my other guide, Attack Commando Guide. Some aspects of that guide are incorporated to this one.

3. Please remember that this is all my personal opinion. I'm not trying to make some sort of Code of Commando to follow, just want to share my experience and hopefully improve yours.

Numa Prime Build/Combo/Gear:

Hi all! I'm new to commando-ing (lol) so I've been tweaking my skills around quite a bit. I may have found a happy medium between what I'm looking for.

Mainly, I do solo OL runs and organised Guardian runs. So I needed a build that works for both.

Without further adieu:

Skills:

1 in each Taunt skill just for Taunt. I don't believe that the Taunt effect increases as skill level does.

Force Hammer - 1 is enough, IMO. It's single-target, not so great damage, so just enough for that Taunt.

Neutron Stomp - 1 again, Taunt and knockdown effect. Damage-gain isn't so great, so it's mainly for those two reasons.

Vigor - 5. One of my key skills for being able to solo OL efficiently. Cut my pot consumption to almost none if I do things right in OL. Pretty good cooldown as well.

Singularity - 6. Best AoE skill of a commando, IMO. Useful alone, or in duo with Gravity Well. Push, Knockdown AND Taunt. No doubt in this one.

Graviton Slam - 1. Very good AoE/Tanking skill actually. That 50% slow is almost essential when tanking melee mobs (I think the slow has an AoE effect too?). A pack of those alien dogs can chase me and I just cast this, all slowed and a cannon can kill them easy. I leave at 1 since damage-gain isn't so great.

Increase Mass - 2. My original build didn't consist of this. At first I kept putting it at either 0 or 6, never midway. I'm still testing this out, whether it's enough, too small and a waste of 2 skill points, or not essential at all. This is aimed mostly for Guardian runs, cockroaches and the guardian itself.

Kinetic Reservoir - 2. Again another key still for OL runs. I chose two because it gave the biggest marginal skill gain. It's at 5 energy regen now, I think it only increases to by 1 at Lv 3. The most bang for my buck (skill points) at 2, IMO. I don't consider the damage buff/debuff. Neglible and it's only a 2 second buff.

Gravtiy Well - 6. The best CC of a commando. It took awhile to get used to, but works exactly like Beckon in PL.

Combo:

AoE:

Gravity Well - Singularity - Graviton Slam - Stomp.

Gravity Well and Singularity both have a small delay before activating. So casting GW then Singularity consecutively works well. It,

1. Brings the pack of mobs towards the target of GW. This isn't like Beckon where everything is brought to you and it's a free-to-cast skill. GW is a single-target skill. GW also causes the highest AoE damage, btw.

2. Once all the mobs are close to each other, Singularity should take effect. Another round of AoE damage along with a push, knockdown, and Taunt effect. Just like Stomp in PL, if used against a wall, the pushback shouldn't be that much of a problem.

3. Since the opponents are still knocked down, and if you do two knockdowns consecutively, it doesn't stack or queue, I choose to use Graviton Slam. It slows them down and has an AoE effect, and Taunts them too.

4. By this time, the opponents should be back up again (if they're still alive). A Stomp would knock them down again, along with AoE damage and a Taunt.

5. I always try to remember to keep auto-attack on, all the time. This is also a key factor in doing loads of AoE damage, IMO, especially with our heavy weapons.

Single target:

Force Hammer - Graviton Slam - Stomp - (Gravity Well) - (Singularity).

Since this is single target based, my goal is really to tank, not to kill. There are only two mobs in the game that 'need' to be tanked anyway, the Vular Roaches and the Guardian himself.

Force Hammer (hopefully) gains aggro, for the roaches, Graviton Slam is awesome. If you get aggro and use the slow effect, he can barely chase you as you kite around and tank. Stomp if he gets too close to knock him down, rinse repeat.

For the guardian, since he's a ranged mob, I stand right next to him and use these skills slowly. I don't think Taunt stacks, so to keep Taunt on him most of the time, I try to use the Taunt skills just as he faces away from me. I try to stand opposite of my team too, so its easy to tell whether you have aggro or not.

I don't like to fully spam skills when tanking because it can get very costly on mana. Let the DPS players kill them quick, just take aggro and tank.

Gear:

I use a full Sandstorm Armour set, The Wastelander weapon, and an Armor implant.

I find the Sandstorm set sufficient versus the plat set. Health, Mana, and Hit % gain (may be small armour loss, have to recheck) on the plat set, but nothing one-shots me, I land attacks often, and higher mana pool doesn't really help me. I'd rather save the plat and go for 2x damage enhancers instead

Wastelander is awesome. Best heavy weapon in-game, I think. I'm still considering switching to a rifle for bosses.

I choose an armor implant for consistency. I think the 5% dodge > armour, but I'm just looking for a more consistent build rather than a chancy one.

End

Like I said, I'm still new So I need your opinions and suggestions on any of the things above. Looking forward to having an awesome discussion on this.

Thanks guys!

(Mobile users, I 'spoiler' linked my Nuri's Build/Combo/Gear to shorten the view of the guide. I don't think you can see it through a mobile device, you'll have to use a full browser).

Slouch Build/Combo/Gear

I've edited my build a bit with the new Slouch campaign. I don't find solo-ing as doable as it was in Numa anymore (maybe not yet), mainly because compared to OL, there aren't maps with that much melee mobs which are easy to kite/kill. There's more emphasis on team play now.

Also, with the addition of the new skill, I allocated more points into that as well.

Elly's Personal Progressive Skill Leveling Build
    Elly's Peronal Skill Build
    Elly's Peronal Skill Map

1. Removed the 6 points from Vigor - I feel I no longer need Vigor in team play since engineers can heal much better.

2. Totally removed Kinetic. Soloing is no longer an effective option in Slouch. Also, credit gain (through liquidation, mob credit drops, and purple/crafting sales) in Slouch is fairly good, easily compensating the use of Mana stimpacks and more. That said, 5 points from Kinetic was placed into other skills to do more damage.

3. 6 points into Crit buff - with the new 30 commando plat armors, I find the added crit from the armors + crit buff extremely good if I want to do damage. Pair it up with a plat rifle/heavy weapon, you'll do so much more damage.

4. 6 points into Backbreaker - highest damage single target skill of a commando, not to mention the combo finisher (Use when the target is 'Knocked-down' to combo).

5. 3 points into Graviton Slam. This skill is my next most useful AoE skill aside from Singularity and Gravity Well (see combo below).
    I find that there is less emphasis on tanking now in Slouch. In Numa, tanking the guardian was a challenge for a commando, taking aggro, taking damage, etc. However, for the droid, I notice that taking aggro is almost nonexistent because of how killing him is based. That said, even if shields are introduced, I don't see the use of them yet. Yet because when pvp comes out, I'm certain that shields are a critical piece to builds.

Combo

Mob Combo: (Buff up before using skills) + Gravity Well + Graviton Slam + Neutron Stomp + Singularity

This combo was changed from the previous one mainly to fully maximise the use of Gravity Well and Singularity. The old combo used to contradict these two skills; GW would pull but Singularity would push back out. This combo works a lot better for crowd control and ultimately better damage overall. I strongly recommend this new combo to fully crowd control and to prevent from being a 'Scatter Commando'. This is how it works:As usual, Gravity Well first to pull the mobs towards you. While they are being pulled, a Graviton Slam is a good skill to add more damage and slow debuff them so they avoid walking away quick after being pulled. By the time they are next to you or pinned to a wall, Neutron Stomp them followed by a quick Singularity. Remember, step back from the wall after GW to give you space for Singularity's blast to push them against the wall, and not push them away from it. The Stomp knocks them down which gives enough time for the Singularity cast-time to kick-in and push them towards the wall more plus knocking them down again.

All this time, you must ensure your normal attack from your Heavy Weapon is ON.
    Normal attacks from a Heavy Weapon is key to doing full AOE damage, especially if they've been well setup through your combo.

Also, if this combo is perfected, the mobs are dead even before they can deal damage, assuming you have a group with you or you have a damage enhancer on.

Boss Combo: (Buff up before using skills) + Force Hammer + Neutron Stomp + Backbreaker + ( 2-3 second pause) + Gravity Well + Singularity + Backbreaker.

Remember, during boss fights, you should switch gear to a Heavy Pistol/Rifle and not a Heavy Weapon. A Heavy Weapon is bad in maintaining aggro/doing damage to a single target, so it should be kept to mob fights only.

The skills before the pause allow you to knockdown the boss, get in a combo, and gain aggro. After two-three seconds, or as soon as you can see the boss switch target from you, use Gravity Well + Singularity + Backbreaker again to knockdown, combo, and get aggro. Rinse and repeat.

Gear (Names are links to photos).

Gear Loadouts

1. Plat Armor + Plat Rifle + Damage Implant

Best dps for a commando, IMO. Especially good versus bosses. I only use it with an engineer in the team, though. This prevents me from having to spam stim packs all the time.

2. Custom Meganaut Set + Plat Heavy Weapon + Dodge Implant

Ideal if I want to do mass AoE and tank at the same time. Maximum dodge (with no pink) and AoE from the HW.

3. Custom Meganaut Set + Plat Heavy Pistol + 30 Mod Shield + Damage Implant

I'm starting to love pistols more, especially when I use a 2x damage enhancer. Although base damage is lower than a Rifle or Loadout 1., I find it enough for quick mob clearing with a full group. Works well versus a boss as well, tanking it is way easier, damage isn't that compromised. This is my favorite set.

4. Custom Meganaut Set + Plat Light Pistol + 30 Mod Shield + Dodge Implant

This is a pure tanking set. Max dodge and armor possible with my gear. This is quite good if you plan on playing as a tanking commando more than a damage-dealing commando. Base damage is lower than Loadout 3, but a lot more dodge too. Again, pure tanking set. With a good engineer, stimpack usage is almost none.

Conclusion

Overall, I don't find Heavy Weapons as effective as they were in Numa. I find the mobs in Slouch more spread-out and harder to fully clump up. Also, I find that the mobs in Slouch are more ranged-oriented rather than melee. That is why I love my Loadout 3, a pistol provides good damage yet good survivability at the same time.

My skill build compliments my Loadout 3 more as well, since I aim to be more of a damage-based Commando first rather than a pure tanking one.

Solo viability in my build is quite decent. Loadout 3/4 is good especially with a damage enhancer on.

Gameplay Video​

I've tried recording how I play to show how I use my combos/gears from the guide. Apologies for the quality, I still haven't found a fully effective way to record my gameplay.

I used my iPad 2's video camera while making it stand vertical on the smartcase, playing on iPhone 4.

Video notes:
    • Build is exactly the same as the one on this thread. Gear is Loadout # 3.
    • Map 3 in Slouch-O Campaign.
    • PUG - I have not met any of these players before.
    • Damage Enhancer on.

Changelog:

8/30/11 - Numa Prime Build/Combo/Gear.
    9/19/11 - Slouch Build/Combo/Gear.
    9/22/11 - Edited Slouch Build.
    9/23/11 - Added photos/explanations/descriptions.
    9/29/11 - Changed Combo section, added Mob - Boss combos. Added an Introduction section to explain the guide.
    9/30/11 - Added Gameplay Video
    10/1/11 - Added Elly's Personal Skill Map, Elly's Personal Progressive Skill Leveling Build, and changed from an IMG to a link for Elly's Personal Skill Build.

Last edited by Ellyidol; 10-01-2011 at 05:11 AM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ellyidol For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Nice.... I'll look forward to testing this out when I level my Commando next.
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    Nice.... I'll look forward to testing this out when I level my Commando next.
    Awesome! Be sure to add me when you do In fact, I don't think I have any of your SL toons added.. IGN?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

My advice: either use Increase Mass 6, or not at all. It has some good armor, but it isn't worth it to add a few points and suffer the large dodge and hit% debuff half the time. And with only a 6 damage reduction for 5 seconds and using mana every time you recast, I'm considering dropping it. well, depending on the last 2 skills.
    Last edited by Nightarcher; 08-31-2011 at 12:06 AM.
    Gandalf—Level 21 Arcane Legends Sorcerer
    Redeemed—Level 12 Sorcerer twink

Nighttrooper - Level 40 Commando [retired]
    Nightarcher - Level 60 Avian Archer [retired]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nightarcher View Post
    My advice: either use Increase Mass 6, or not at all. It has some good armor, but it isn't worth it to add a few points and suffer the large dodge and hit% debuff half the time. And with only a 6 damage reduction for 5 seconds and using mana every time you recast, I'm considering dropping it. well, depending on the last 2 skills.
    Hmm, true points.

I'm considering to remove IM if ever, not for the crit, mainly for the dodge. 15 % base dodge is pretty okay, reducing that for 140 armour is, your're right, very costly.

I still have one point incoming too, when I turn 26. Where do you think it'll go well? I'm thinking of maxing Vigor, then if I remove the two from IM, put them into Kinetic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Another great guide Elly!

The build I made with my limited experience, is almost the same as yours. The only difference is that I don't have any points in Increase mass. The cooldown time just seems to high to me and I don't really miss it to be honest. I've put the points in kinetic reservoir instead, it helps me save some stims. But, then again, I just finished my commando, so I definitely need to experiment a bit more

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    Another great guide Elly!

The build I made with my limited experience, is almost the same as yours. The only difference is that I don't have any points in Increase mass. The cooldown time just seems to high to me and I don't really miss it to be honest. I've put the points in kinetic reservoir instead, it helps me save some stims. But, then again, I just finished my commando, so I definitely need to experiment a bit more
    I wish it was a guide

I've made some changes too. I removed Increase Mass, Night was right, the dodge penalty makes it more costly than beneficial, and I maxed Vigor and one into Kinetic. When I turn 26, I plan to put that last point into Kinetic too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

U can keep agro at guardian? With ur skills it doesn't like u do. Need to test that out with u
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=415&d=1311352096
    Theseus | Mars | Cupido
    Rage of Mages Officer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by themars View Post
    U can keep agro at guardian? With ur skills it doesn't like u do. Need to test that out with u
    Yeah, aggro seems fine. From the few runs I've had with friends, they were either on me or on another commando

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Ive been messing with this since day one of beta and still not sure of the best setup. I agree on the whole dropping increase mass concept. I maxed it the other night and ended up using more health stims han I ever have. Just like PL, dodge>armor.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    Ive been messing with this since day one of beta and still not sure of the best setup. I agree on the whole dropping increase mass concept. I maxed it the other night and ended up using more health stims han I ever have. Just like PL, dodge>armor.
    Hmm. I'm considering getting a dodge transplant now too..

Edit:

Actually, I might wait for more skills in a future update. Gonna check the class skills of the rest too. If there's no support to dodge (hit debuff, etc), I may stick with armour.

Edit squared:

Ops do have that hit debuff! Let me survey if they get it..
    Last edited by Ellyidol; 08-31-2011 at 07:11 AM.

Tournament & Ladder Leader Silentarrow's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Here is my build:

Needs some tweaking though. I focus mainly on damage, so I don't waste points in regen skills . Since I'm not level 25 yet (NOOB lol). I still have to max my pulling and armot increase skil.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Very tanky build, Silent

May I ask if you have a reason in putting two points into Force Hammer and Graviton Slam?

Tournament & Ladder Leader Silentarrow's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    Very tanky build, Silent

May I ask if you have a reason in putting two points into Force Hammer and Graviton Slam?
    Purely to increase my damage output .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

I was playing around with my commando earlier, and I decided to drop force hammer too (used that extra point in kinetic reservoir). I only had 1 point in there for the taunt part, but it doesn't really seem my party takes more damage without it. Definitely needs more testing though.

This is my skill build right now, but as said it definitely needs more testing:

And this is my skill layout:

edit: another reason to drop force hammer was so I don't need to flip my skills layout during intense fights. Ow yes, and I'm cheap (don't want to buy too many stims) LOL

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silentarrow View Post
    Purely to increase my damage output .
    Ah, yeah true!

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    I was playing around with my commando earlier, and I decided to drop force hammer too (used that extra point in kinetic reservoir). I only had 1 point in there for the taunt part, but it doesn't really seem my party takes more damage without it. Definitely needs more testing though.

This is my skill build right now, but as said it definitely needs more testing:

And this is my skill layout:
    Yeah, I can't think of a way to truly test the aggro factor and Taunt. Gonna be uber hard to do so, or try to do so, IMO.

LOL @ layout! Exactly the same, except my first bar is reverse of yours. I go top-down

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Nice job! Im pretty sure even though your new, your better than me at commando xD I specced yesterday with a higher KR. 5 lol. 6 is stupid because all it does is bring up damage. I recover 50 mana. cooL!

Also, you dont wanna use all your skills at once. especially the taunt ones. save Gravitational Slam for after a few second when they start getting back up and targeting your team. Then you get aggro right back!

EDIT: I dont know why people drop Vigor. Its neccesary to have IMO. After runs or a level, you dont wanna start the next one with partial health. So I use Vigor and KR at base to recover it.

EDIT 2: I have only 2 or 3 in Increase mass. Just for when the enemies get back up and I get back aggro. 6 Is not neccesary. I used the extra points in Kinetic Resevior.
    Last edited by Register; 08-31-2011 at 08:45 AM.
    ShadowPlat OneMoreDay RegiLess & RegFree
    My Guess: 177

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If I see this builds it looks like u can't keep agro at guardian its good u got MAx level for vigor and kr but nothing for me cause I really hate bad tanks at guardian

When I reach higher levels I will put points into them but now I prefer taking packs instead of to be called a noob tank.

Lucky in beta we could farm them so I still have 4000 and 3000 packs

But still can't believe it u can keep agro prove it!
    Theseus | Mars | Cupido
    Rage of Mages Officer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Register View Post
    Nice job! Im pretty sure even though your new, your better than me at commando xD I specced yesterday with a higher KR. 5 lol. 6 is stupid because all it does is bring up damage. I recover 50 mana. cooL!

Also, you dont wanna use all your skills at once. especially the taunt ones. save Gravitational Slam for after a few second when they start getting back up and targeting your team. Then you get aggro right back!

EDIT: I dont know why people drop Vigor. Its neccesary to have IMO. After runs or a level, you dont wanna start the next one with partial health. So I use Vigor and KR at base to recover it.

EDIT 2: I have only 2 or 3 in Increase mass. Just for when the enemies get back up and I get back aggro. 6 Is not neccesary. I used the extra points in Kinetic Resevior.
    Yeah, tricky business with Taunt though! I've seen aggro go from have it to lose it in literally a second or two.

Btw, don't you think your IM penalty is too high if not at 6?

Quote Originally Posted by themars View Post
    If I see this builds it looks like u can't keep agro at guardian its good u got MAx level for vigor and kr but nothing for me cause I really hate bad tanks at guardian

When I reach higher levels I will put points into them but now I prefer taking packs instead of to be called a noob tank.

Lucky in beta we could farm them so I still have 4000 and 3000 packs

But still can't believe it u can keep agro prove it!
    I'd agree, but I don't see any difference in a Lv 1 or 6 Taunt skill. I had them 6 before too, but nothing changed.

Prove to me that you keep full aggro at 6, then I'll respec

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I can keep agro at guardian . Can't keep it at normal mobs when eng are all casting transference but guardian is fine when I see u I will add u.

I'm not telling ur build is bad there is no good or bad build just wanted to know if u could tank with that
    Theseus | Mars | Cupido
    Rage of Mages Officer