Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the "hardcore level" really hardcore anymore?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

Exclamation Is the "hardcore level" really hardcore anymore?

Hello,
    I would like to propose some discussion upon this subject.
    After every update, there would be a new level cap, and then the so called "hardcore" cap.
    In the newest update, this would be level 61. The Developers clearly stated, "and level 61, (for the hardcore)" in the last patch updates.
    But now with 4x EXP Elixirs, can we really consider level 61 as hardcore?
    Within a full day, many players have already reached the basic level cap and are quickly arriving at the "hardcore" one. These elixirs are given the power to reduce the amoun of EXP needed, all the way down to 4 times. The price is simple, 20 platinum for 30 minutes, etc.
    So, I ask you, if this is the hardcore level, why should elixirs be allowed?
    This simply takes away ALL the meaning to being hardcore, but rather just buying your way to the "hardcore level". Sure, it is still around 25,000 EXP or so, but that isn't much!
    The REAL hardcore is 80,000+ EXP ALL from real hardcore grinding.
    Elixirs are there to enhance leveling and speed process; sure, from level 1-60 they are plausible.
    But to use them for the "hardcore" level totally takes away the definition.
    So I was thinking, ban EXP elixirs for the "hardcore" level and we can see who is ACTUALLY hardcore and who actually deserves the "Crown of Persistence", or these days, "The Crown Of Elixirs".
    All other elixirs, go ahead use them. But to those who spend time to earn their rightful level and proudly display such; a simple one day can easily match up to that honor with the help of a few hundred Platinum.
    I believe this should stay in General Discussion; it is a more general topic among levels rather than a suggestion itself. I would like to see some opinions, and thoughts on what Elixir Use actually is to you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

I think a player can be hardcore, especially if they are spending plat. And spending 20 plat on something like an elixr when there's tons of other things to spend plat on, I think I can consider them hardcore. They're spending REAL money on a game they like to play to make it all the way to the level cap. What's more hardcore than that?
    Last edited by Navygreen; 09-06-2011 at 07:58 AM.
    PL - Navygreen
    AL - Viicks (me), Littlesis (my sis)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

no, its already enough people spending tons of plat just to reach 60. thats their choice, you can always do it the way you're supposed to without elixers which then would be an elite level. I'd say keep it as it is.

the way to change the world is by doing one act of kindness at a time, care to buy some cookies?

PL: Zaltiar Lvl66| SL: Hellcharger/Alibi Lvl 41Com|Zaltiar Lvl38 Op| Warbringer 38

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Elixers are a big part of sts's income at least i would assume

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

If sts didnt use the word 'hardcore lvl' would this b different for you? They should have use the words 'time consumming' for me but thats less appealin to players.
    If there wasnt a forum, no chat ig where you could read people reachin rapidly cap or you couldnt read/view the lvl of the avatar ig would this change your point of view, not knowing who is where and at what lvl?

Reachin a cap should b just personnal imo, just dont mind others, focus on your own goal at the rythm you like or able to give.
    For me it doesnt change a thing if someone else like a plat leveler reach the cap b4 me.
    It also doesnt give any advantage to cap first here in this game, it only give more cash $$ to sts thats all.

I cap 56 in April/may and did like 3/5 without plat. Everybody was saying new map soon, hurry up, get the crown b4 its gone, blabla... so I did the rest with plat, yes the boost was quite impressive.
    But I wouldnt have done it if I knew it was september lol.
    I only used b4 plat gears, upgrade account, more avatars, vanities or maps when it was needed it to play last year.
    For my part, I admit that sometime Im a bit envious on people having this luxury of '"time to play'". Got work, family, friends, gf, work, social life, other hobbies and work. (yea im typin this at work, lunchbreak..)
    Will I use plat elixir to 61? Maybe, maybe not, its just an option I got.

Anyway, playing n enjoying at my own rythm with plat or not. Thats the balance I need and try to keep, thats my way of having fun with PL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

I think being a hardcore fan of the game means doing what you have to to reach the end of the game and enjoying every bit of it the whole way through. I'm nowhere near the level cap for the game and i've used elixrs before and I would consider myself a hardcore fan of the game. Am I not included because I spent the plat, that I bought WITH MY MONEY, on elixrs? I'm enjoying the game and working hard just like everyone else.

Im starting to think it's become a jealousy issue with some people who dont have the money to spend on platinum. I'm sorry if this is not you but i'm just making a general assumption based on some of the comments i've read here. It's not like people are cheating. It would be cheating if it wasn't included as an actual item that you can purchase. STS made it available to those who would like to spend money to advance a little quicker. It's not like you pop an elixr pill and you automatically shoot to the next level. You still have to play the game and kill the badies before you get anywhere with it. And not to mention, do it quickly before your money (that you spent), aka elixr, runs out.

Sorry I just have a difference of opinion. I'm spending plat this weekend. It's payday for me and STS I guess. lol... I''m doing it because I like what plat has to offer and I also love supporting the game and the development team. I would absolutely consider myself a hardcore fan of the game.
    Last edited by Navygreen; 09-06-2011 at 07:55 AM.
    PL - Navygreen
    AL - Viicks (me), Littlesis (my sis)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Wait a sec, it's only 25k xp from 60-61!?!?

Proud Member of AEO (PL) and Sparkling Pwnies (SL)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would have to agree with you. Going from 60 to 61 without using elixirs would be truely hardcore.

But STS needs to make their money as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beanmachine View Post
    Wait a sec, it's only 25k xp from 60-61!?!?
    with an 4x xp elixir. without 100k
    Lobstie - L55 full dex archer

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Whirlz, elite is in the eye of the beholder. You may think grinding to 61 on elixirs is not elite, but what about those who have 3-4 toons at the same cap. It does not matter how much grinding is performed, for a mobile game designed mainly for those with limited time, 61 is an achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanmachine View Post
    AHh phew makes much more sense now lol. Whats the reward for reaching lv61?
    Unknown as of now. Hoping the info for this is released soon!
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    471 Posts

All enemies give 1xp per kill. I clearly remember then capped characters playing the newest campaign getting about 2-3 xp per kill, as if to encourage you to buy elixirs. This is hardly a pick up and play game anymore, unless you get the 4x elixirs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedRyder View Post
    All enemies give 1xp per kill. I clearly remember then capped characters playing the newest campaign getting about 2-3 xp per kill, as if to encourage you to buy elixirs. This is hardly a pick up and play game anymore, unless you get the 4x elixirs.
    Discount elix prices, or higher versions (5x, 8x, ect but yes different plat costs too) of elix would help greatly ...dont mind spending the plat, but I want to get there fast, I want one capped toon, i have 2 others i want to level
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=54483&dateline=131136  6901
    PL-Ghosts | SL-DL-AL- Ghost | SL-DL-AL-Octavos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

Exactly, the game just wants to get lazier?
    To be off-topic, I wonder how much time someone would need for 1-61 on 8x elixirs?:P

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlzap View Post
    Exactly, the game just wants to get lazier?
    To be off-topic, I wonder how much time someone would need for 1-61 on 8x elixirs?:P
    Hard to say as it seems like they changed the curve again. Going from L55 to L56 isn't even the expected 8384 xp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixking View Post
    Grrr they answer drews question but not mine! That makes me mad,grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    We have leet lv 55-56 players dying at Plasma Pyramid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengotengo View Post
    It's like someone gave me a bag of M&Ms, but there's a handful of candy-coated rabbit turds in the bag somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Whirlz, the question is purely theoretical because STS generates so much money off elixirs, they aren't going anywhere. Are there people that grind from 55-56 or 60-61 with no elixirs, sure. but they are very much in the minority. I would have made it without elixirs (I ended up halfway there on bear) if I didn't decide instead to have 3@55 and then go from there. Oh well, I personally don't want to spend plat to reach an elite level, but there are LOTS of people who do I also have accepted that the amount of time I spend playing might just keep me from ever being "hardcore" in some peoples minds
    Duped - Lvl 65 Mage
    Conanursan - Lvl 65 Bear
    Isniped - Lvl 65 Bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I actually think 4X damage and armor pots are an even bigger problem than XP pots. I'm lucky to have a group of friends who all potted 3 and 4X and invited me to come along when the maps first came out. I bought a plat XP elixir and joined... and I've rarely been so bored in my life. I couldn't wait for my pot to run out so I wouldn't feel guilty about leaving.

The highest level maps available should not feel like running Forest Haven on a level 45, but that's exactly how they feel with people potting. It used to be that people would pot 2X and that felt overpowered but not insanely so. And even those who had lots of money would look twice before potting 3X or even 2X with gold, and the pots wouldn't last forever. Now I've seen a ton of people potting with plat, making themselves 4X more powerful for the entire time they're playing.

You might say, well if you don't like those pots don't use them (and I don't) - but it isn't that simple because this is a multiplayer game, so you can't just ignore what others do. Already I've seen threads of people who are potting plat getting together to form their own "harcore" team... It used to be that the players who were in high demand were those with the best (looted) gear, or who could play well, or who had earned enough gold in the game to pot after months of play. Now the new elite are going to be those who pay plat to pot, because no gear or skill can even come close to matching the advantage of 4X stats. And the new gold pots at 1.5X barely do anything. This game used to pride itself about not selling power, but that's what it's doing now - and such insane power too. It doesn't even feel like a real game anymore once several players in a team pot 3 or 4X. Oh and if you die, just respawn instantly for 1 plat. You might as well sell over your God Mode for a fee.

Most of all I'm dismayed that nobody seems to understand what my problem is. My friends point out that I have enough plat to pot, which is true. I've been conservative with spending plat just because I'm a conservative spender in real life, but if PL forced me to pay the same subscription fee as WoW for instance, I'd gladly pay it and wouldn't complain, because I'd know I'm paying for content. But suppose I potted plat and bought more plat to pot, what do I have to feel proud of? That I'm good at the game after making myself 4X more powerful, resurrecting instantly after deaths, and leveling to some "hardcore" level that it took me a lot less time to reach than it would take some kid who can't afford plat?

But it seems I'm in the minority and most people will gladly pay money for an "I am rich" type of app where you pay money to instantly be labeled leet. I don't blame STS for taking full advantage of it. I just mourn the game I used to know and love, that is no more. I hope that once the next campaign comes out and PL made enough money out of the elixir craze, there will be some rebalancing of the kind of power that's available for plat purchase to make the game feel like a challenge again.
    Last edited by Kalielle; 09-03-2011 at 07:25 AM.
    Kalielle - level 56 mage | Kaley - level 55 roundup bear | Clusterstorm - level 55 rush paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by noobmigo View Post
    Clusterstorm? Pshh, he merely leads the fastest games ever.
    Pocket Legends Video Tutorial

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Lv 60 with Cyber Gear with 4x Platinum Elixir >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lv 60 with full Glyph set + Skillz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kalielle View Post
    Most of all I'm dismayed that nobody seems to understand what my problem is. My friends point out that I have enough plat to pot, which is true. I've been conservative with spending plat just because I'm a conservative spender in real life, but if PL forced me to pay the same subscription fee as WoW for instance, I'd gladly pay it and wouldn't complain, because I'd know I'm paying for content. But suppose I potted plat and bought more plat to pot, what do I have to feel proud of? That I'm good at the game after making myself 4X more powerful, resurrecting instantly after deaths, and leveling to some "hardcore" level that it took me a lot less time to reach than it would take some kid who can't afford plat?

But it seems I'm in the minority and most people will gladly pay money for an "I am rich" type of app where you pay money to instantly be labeled leet. I don't blame STS for taking full advantage of it. I just mourn the game I used to know and love, that is no more. I hope that once the next campaign comes out and PL made enough money out of the elixir craze, there will be some rebalancing of the kind of power that's available for plat purchase to make the game feel like a challenge again.

I think that you are going to have to come to terms with the idea that PL is no longer a "casual" game. It is as time-intensive as a PC game (especially if you want to level up the conventional "slow" way).

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    I think that you are going to have to come to terms with the idea that PL is no longer a "casual" game. It is as time-intensive as a PC game (especially if you want to level up the conventional "slow" way).
    Agreed. All free MMOs turn out like this. Every. Single. One.

And if they don't, the company eventually flops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I like the elixirs... And I think you just sound sore whirl. You can get to 61 the way you want to, if you think without elixirs is better, why bother us?
    Xazic -- That random warbird.