Thread: Why Force Shield and Protection are a waste of points

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's easy enough to test IBNobody's numbers and theorycrafting. I'll do some consecutive Guardian runs where I do it my current way, and then do some more where I just don't cast FS at all. If I don't notice a *significant* difference in my power reserves and I don't need to drink any power pots, then IBNobody is right. I'll test and report back when I've been able to do about 4 runs for each trial.
    SL: Katsumi/Katsumii/Katsumiii | Knights of Cydonia
    PL: Ohanadesu | Knights of Cydonia

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxSteele View Post
    I love the stats, and thank you for the number crunching, but I disagree. Force Shield and Protection are very helpful.
    I'm interested in hearing why. You can't just leave us hanging!

Quote Originally Posted by shannong View Post
    It's easy enough to test IBNobody's numbers and theorycrafting. I'll do some consecutive Guardian runs where I do it my current way, and then do some more where I just don't cast FS at all. If I don't notice a *significant* difference in my power reserves and I don't need to drink any power pots, then IBNobody is right. I'll test and report back when I've been able to do about 4 runs for each trial.
    It's very theorycraftish. In practical use, you'll likely not be able to achieve those gains I listed because of the slop inherent in the system. You lose 0.5 seconds or so in latency alone. Then you have the lag of switching skill pages and of using multiple skills.

Still, if you are focused on optimizing energy regeneration, consider putting 4 points in FS and 3 points in revive. That would give you 1.94 energy per second, best case. You may have to wait 'till Sloucho to do this.

Keep in mind, though, that even these energy gains are short-term effects. Skill costs do not increase, but your energy reserves and recovery rates will. If you are already seeing a potionless benefit at 4.12 energy per tick (+2 natural, +1 implant, +1.94 FS/REV), wouldn't a future +3 implant or enough INT to grant +4 natural fill the gap better than these skills do?
    Last edited by IBNobody; 09-05-2011 at 04:57 AM.