Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why Force Shield and Protection are a waste of points

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shannong:405924
    For example, I'm amazed at how many engineers I've encountered who are level 25-26 doing guardian runs and I never see them pop a Transferrence. What-What-What??? At least half the engies I've ended up in PUG groups with from 16 onward (with my commando and operative) would use only empathy to heal and would answer "no" when I asked them if they had Transferrence. (Shakes head.)
    I was about to agree with you completely and give another example of an Engineer dropping the ball. In fact, I was about to get all "IKR!" or "OMG!", or even "GTFO LOL etc..." in this here thread, but then I thought of my own humble beginnings (still pretty humble, actually).

So let me offer a different example, instead; an example of an Engineer picking up the ball and running with it!

So there I was (all great stories start that way! ), playing another PUG xp run in Outer Limits. I had just been abandoned, due to my faster-than-preferred speed, by all but this one Engineer named Ruler of Awesomeness (whose name has been changed to protect their identity). I cautioned about the risks of carrying on, asked if R.A. would like to continue, and the answer came..."Sure". Now bear in mind, I was running my Op at the time, so I was feeling a bit exposed, to say the least! I told R.A., "stick close and spam Empathy", and off we went. We proceeded to have about four more fast, safe, and successful runs. And R.A. did not spam Empathy. Rather, it began to be used precisely when I would have used it myself. Oh, and it was a dark and stormy night.

What I hope I have conveyed by the harrowing tale above is this: Given the chance, the information, and the encouragement, most players will rise above and shine. Some will even become great; the next generation of legendary players, as it were. Of course, some will not; however, I believe that number of players will be fewer. Remember, be patient and carry on.

The vast majority of us on the forums are fairly well equipped with knowledge, experience, and skill. Unfortunately, I also believe the vast majority of players in the game are not active on these forums. We share our knowledge, experience, and skill here, so why not share it in-game, as well? I'm sure many of you already do. I am also sure your sharing has occasionally been rejected or refused. However, I believe the times it has or will be absorbed make all the effort worthwhile. Besides, how else are we supposed to get the word out (to players and devs alike) about Protection being ineffective in live play?!

Again, great thread and thank you all for sharing!
    Last edited by thequickone; 09-07-2011 at 07:10 PM.

PL: Thequickone warrior, Torrenz archer, Faebronia enchantress/main
    SL: Thequickone commando, Torrenz operative, Faebronia engineer/main, Helpdesk <PiF> engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ya good story. When leveling up my oper and commando, after 16 I'd always encourage the engies I ran with in PUGs who obviously didn't yet have/understand tranferrence to give it a try.
    SL: Katsumi/Katsumii/Katsumiii | Knights of Cydonia
    PL: Ohanadesu | Knights of Cydonia

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Know this thread has been open a while and I'm new to SL. However, just wanted to say thanks, and ask if the revive regen is a group buff? If so, then the effective party mana regen rate could be far higher than Force Shield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts

Who the.. I never seen this SG before. Lol. I agree that force shield is a waste, but 60+ armor makes a huge difference.
    A true Star Legend...
    |SL: Eng-Artstar, Op-Demoneyes, Comm-Skullflower|

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

Because this thread is from September of 2011 lol He's looooooong gone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Well, armor when quantified can be...useless but through experience I have learned that what you expect never tends to be the outcome. For example, transference I have always thought to be useless in a pvp setting because it just does a small range of damage and a small heal but when I use it in a match it improves my gameplay immensely.

I have not tried experimenting by sorting out force sheild and protection points for my pve build but one thing is for sure, those armor buffs are inevitably necessary in pvp. If you don't have them consider yourself dead......

~TheRajX

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts

Ahh necro'd thread!
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes! -Billy Connolly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I agree that the force shield is useless. As a full pvp engi (Zeonaloz) when fighting other engi, i pop thier shield in seconds. However, i do use protection. As a pvp engi there isnt a better place to put my points. I could get the purple thing (forget what its called) but that is a single strike skill. :/ however, if the other engi decides to run, and regen i lose. My engi deal more dmg but i cant operate for as long (lack or force sheild) so i chase and the other runs :/

@TheRajx Woooo!!! I defy ur statement!!!
    Last edited by Ucazhaus; 07-14-2012 at 12:24 PM.