Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Reduced number of towns result in join-failures

On top of Snowpeak Mountain, tweaking stats
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Default Reduced number of towns result in join-failures

Dear devs, can you give us more information on your new strategy on the availability of towns?

When I started playing SL I noticed that I can rarely join a friend in a town in SL, since those towns are full most of the time. Back to PL: the Nuri lvl.cap.raise update in PL came along. Since 1.7.3 it's nearly impossible to join a friend in Balefort, because most of the time they are in full towns. Nearly 90% of my attempts fail. Did you copy the SL town settings to PL?

Perhaps only a few players noticed this. I am a player that likes empty towns, so I don't use the "Enter Towne" button but I join a town via the join game in world map. There used to be like 12 Balefort towns before the update, a lot with 3-16 players in them. But ever since the update there are like only 6 towns, most of em with 20-22 players in them. So is there a new strategy to host less towns and fill towns up with players, inevitable leading to the failing of the join (town) option? Perhaps you are hiding towns to join which have less then say 15 players?
    Last edited by Suntv; 09-04-2011 at 02:27 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Suntv For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Yeah, and how they have were it says "join" still beside the players name, even if you are in town with them. It's a pain, because you can't tell if you are in a town with them or not. Even in games, too.
    Blah, blah, blah. Whatever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

I'm struggling to join friends in towns too.....

There must be a setting/limit (inside the max of 25) for the maximum number of people in a town to stop random players joining town instances.... I think it must have been lower as the JOIN function for a friend from the friend list is failing quite frequently ATM. IE maybe its set to 24 which means random people can join a town upto 24 then only one person can choose to come into that instance and makes it full. It would be better if this threshold could be lowered.

Is there any chance the setting could be reduced down slightly to allow for a little specify/chosen movement between areas, or is there a reason town need to be fuller will less instances?

Not sure if i'm making it clear, but I'm suggesting a slight change to move slightly away from full towns/less instances towards less full towns/more instances.

Many Tanks
    Last edited by Redbridge; 09-04-2011 at 03:39 PM.
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I remember the maximum for each town unit being 25. Figuring that's all the server could hold without lag.
    Blah, blah, blah. Whatever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

Yes the towne cramming has made it impossible for me to have a guild meeting. We all end up in a different place. Hopefully the guild halls come out this week but it still doesn't address the towne cramming. Devs I am sure you have a logical reason. Care to spill the beans?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

Honestly in many other MMO games they have unlimited spsce in one towne.
    And no multiple townes either, just one towne or maybe one for each channel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah the towns need to be adjusted a little, but to to see if your in the same town as a friend, you could always use the /who command. Its what I do...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

just meet in the sand cave... nobody is ever there :P

but I do agree, i've had trouble meeting up with a few people or them meeting up with me.

I'll usually end up having to go to the world map and join forest haven (for example) more than once until I actually enter the right town they're in..

Last edited by Navygreen; 09-06-2011 at 07:45 AM.
    PL - Navygreen
    AL - Viicks (me), Littlesis (my sis)

10.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #9
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,509 Posts

The goal was for townes to feel populated, so we first try to put you in an existing towne before spawning another one. We can probably fix this issue by spawning a new towne if the other townes are at 3/4 capacity instead of full (leaving room for the people that want to join their friends).

-ALS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by asommers View Post
    The goal was for townes to feel populated, so we first try to put you in an existing towne before spawning another one. We can probably fix this issue by spawning a new towne if the other townes are at 3/4 capacity instead of full (leaving room for the people that want to join their friends).

-ALS
    Perhaps even that is too high now that guilds are implemented. I think maybe 15 would be an ideal threshold to minimize town overflowing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by asommers View Post

-ALS
    I like mostly empty towns. Easier to meet friends and less likely to be spammed with offers and begging :-/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

i love crowded towns! i like to see everyone's gear and increases the chance to make a sell if you're doing that kind of thing.

I like it personally...besides me not being able to join my friends sometimes, but that dosn't happen often enough for it to bug me..
    PL - Navygreen
    AL - Viicks (me), Littlesis (my sis)