Thread: Suggestion: Taunt effect to skills (not all) of a bear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Default Suggestion: Taunt effect to skills (not all) of a bear.

After coming from SL, where you have heaps of aggro-gaining skills through Taunt, coming back to PL with a bear only having 1 Taunt skill actually makes it difficult to tank.

It embarasses me being the bear having to chase down a boss aggro-ing a bird/mage, and only getting aggro for a split second after Taunt. Even worse if they die, we know how hard some of those bosses can hit.

Since that whole aggro-theory based on DPS thing is still very ambiguous, I tried doing a DPS setup to tank, although it's slightly more effective, it is also very much riskier for myself, DPS gear isn't tank gear.

That said, I wanted to suggest on adding the 'Taunt' effect on some bear skills. This will only work in PvE of course, so I don't see the harm in it. To be specific, I wanted to suggest Taunt to be added to the slashes of the bear. The regular AoE Taunt is more than enough to tank mobs, IMO. It's the single target boss that the Taunt isn't sufficient to tank with.

To prevent the result of breeding 'laziness' to birds/mages when a tank is there, that 'Oh I won't die, tank is sure aggro' mentality, maybe a % chance of Taunt in the slashes instead.

That's all, let me know what you think.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts

I Very much agree with you there. Today; me, and a few birds were fighting the lion tamer dude, and i taunted him... the boss faced me for MAYBE 3 seconds, then started wailing on the poor little birdie. I think this has been said by (you maybe?) that bears' taunt should have a guaranteed aggro that lasts! Us poor bears got a lot of troubles IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Agreed. This would help me a ton. Some bosses can't be pulled with beckon so there's no way for me to pull them off mass or birds. Sometimes I can only get agro for a second or two, and I consider myself a pretty good tank.
    RIP Twinktastic

AEO is the way to go~now recruiting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Hank, yup I'm I'm that situation pretty much most of the time, especially if we want to do quick runs where birds/mages fully unleash their DPS skills.

Con, exactly. Bears used to be able to 'wall-lock' a boss before, it did well in trying to get them off birds/mages. Although I can see the advantages of not being able to Beckon bosses, it also makes us less effective.

The way I see it is this, a bear can go tank gear (str gear) and still not successfully tank (aggro factor), but still not be as good as a bird for DPS. However, if a bear decides to go DPS (dex gear), he is only then able to gain aggro more effectively, but he's not a tank anymore, dex gear armor/dodge is low. Lol.

In other words, we're opposite what we want to be during boss fights. Want to tank, you can't. Want to DPS, you become the tank. Lol.
    Last edited by Ellyidol; 09-05-2011 at 12:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

An other taunt action add on the slashes would be greatly appreciated.
    At least one, like on the first less usefull slash.
    That would give us an other chance to regain aggro.

Taunt vs boss atm only usefull for dodge boost, pretty funny to c other dancing 3-4 times and not my bear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

ahaha Elly...Im guessing you like playing ursan a lot?
    ShadowPlat OneMoreDay RegiLess & RegFree
    My Guess: 177

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Register View Post
    ahaha Elly...Im guessing you like playing ursan a lot?
    Nah not really, I play it the least

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Also...I kinda like the no taunt in skills. I kinda want it to be different from Star Legends. Maybe reduce CD of taunt? Or only put it HIDDEN in the slashes! That would be cool. Like it wouldnt say in the descreiption so only we would know

And elly.....I know why you play it the least! Because you hate playing it so much! Thats why you have so many suggestions!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Register View Post
    Also...I kinda like the no taunt in skills. I kinda want it to be different from Star Legends. Maybe reduce CD of taunt? Or only put it HIDDEN in the slashes! That would be cool. Like it wouldnt say in the descreiption so only we would know

And elly.....I know why you play it the least! Because you hate playing it so much! Thats why you have so many suggestions!
    You have a point, I do agree that it shouldn't be made to follow SL.

I guess the underlying suggestion here is that bears need to have a better way of controlling aggro. Ancient topic too..

I'm sure I can find stuff to suggest if I play the other classes enough too.. Hopefully, though, my suggestions for bears are understood and agreed upon by the birds/mages as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I agree at least on one observation: Nuri maps are bad for bears! Most bosses and mini-bosses are immune from beacon, and taunt works less than previous maps. Beacon/stomp stun factor was the key for regaining aggro when lost, and it is gone! Beacon is also less effective on regular mobs (higher dodge factor?).

At the end, with current situations I find really hard to do the bear job - I was pushed back to be a scatterbear!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts

IDK if you have noticed but along with being immune to beckon, the skills on other races that could normally be used to help pin a boss are ineffective too (Ie: Repulse & Firestorm). I am really hoping this is just another one of the multitude of bugs in Nuri's Hollows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TANKKAAR View Post
    IDK if you have noticed but along with being immune to beckon, the skills on other races that could normally be used to help pin a boss are ineffective too (Ie: Repulse & Firestorm). I am really hoping this is just another one of the multitude of bugs in Nuri's Hollows.
    I've noticed it too, and I think it wasn't a bug but an intended behavior for strengthen the bosses. The problem with Beacon/Stomp (Repulse/Firestorm aren't relevent for this purpose) is that after stunned the boss loses its aggro state, thus allowing a Taunt to be more effective. If beacon stunning does not work anymore, taunting fails most of the times. This enforces Ellyidol request: please, give to bears an effective way to do their job!
    Last edited by Tamino; 09-06-2011 at 03:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

I don't know about you guys but to be honest, I usually don't have a problem with holding agro. The problem I have is staying alive to keep the agro.

I think its mainly due to the amount of damage i'm putting out in addition to Taunt which already shoots my agro level way past anyone who's doing damage. Then again though, I'm not wearing tank gear, I'm wearing destructo bear gear and I hammer smash things all day long, hahaha :P

But in all seriousness, even when I do lose agro, all i have to do is hit taunt and throw my slashes and then the boss will continually look at me till I die or leave.

I think a good remedy to the issue would be to make taunt have a lower CD time and to make it stackable, if it already isn't (which I feel like it is).

-------AEO-------

Tournament & Ladder Leader AbsolutePally's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts

I agree. Aggro getting pulled off of an aggro skills dedicated to the tank class is like heal being taken away from a mage. It was not until I played with the bear class that I noticed how underpowered yet fun they really are. The way things are now with the lowering of gear requirment was a substantial victory to bears. It made them relevant and as effective as the two other classes, where as before they were a free kill essetially for the most part for mages and birds. With that said it would be a equal and just improvement to make aggro stick to bears instead of the squishy mages.
    Retired: Alwaysdt 71 Mage. Legends never die, they just fade away.

Revelation

Alaska, Left the heat on & melted my Igloo...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I totally aggree, Taunt is more than sufficiant for tankin trash. On the boss front though, we bears are in need of some aid. As Tankaar stated Beckon is useless & unless your group lets you build up aggro for a second or two before they DPS you loose it quickly.
    Proud Officer of Infinite Union
    Downloads -36 Commando * Http -36 Operative * URL -36 Engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    You have a point, I do agree that it shouldn't be made to follow SL.

I guess the underlying suggestion here is that bears need to have a better way of controlling aggro. Ancient topic too..

I'm sure I can find stuff to suggest if I play the other classes enough too.. Hopefully, though, my suggestions for bears are understood and agreed upon by the birds/mages as well.
    Yeah I know why you see this. This IS a party based mmo. To be a good bird and/or mage, you have to understand every class. I find myself getting aggro on bosses very easily sometimes. But thats what makes it fun to me! Its funny thinking back at how I find myself taking a huge chunk of damage just before bears taunts and I spam hp pots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Agree. It would be awesome if they can make one of the slashes having taunt effect. If my memory serves well, this issue has been brought up when BS came out as well.
    So nothing happens so far. But at least they make taunt working 100% now. Taunt didn't work well on some of the bosses in BS, but now it works 100% as long as it didn't miss the target.
    As the way it is now, our bears have to wear gears that have high crit,dodge,damage to try to hold aggro off bird, with a siginificant sacrifice on our armor. So we have to spam health pots in the boss fight coz nowdays i would say 3/10 mages will cast heal if their own health is full.
    Jirouniu lvl61 wierd Bear
    Jirouniuniu lvl61 Dex Bird
    Jiroununu lvl61 dex/int mage