Thread: Newbie questions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Newbie questions

hi community!

i have been reading this forum for a while and have a few newbie questions. firstly though id like to say sorry for any wierd spellings. writing from my phone.

Can you have several specs? i keep reading about dualspec and whatnot but im not sure what you guys mean. and im not in the mood of spending plats incase i do something wrong.
    reason i ask is because im tempted to try out a dex mage.
    also i would like to know if lvl35 is too low for a bow mage. and do a dex mage run in int gear and a bow or do they wear leather?

also i bought one of the zones and it drops purp/pink weap from all the bosses and the trend i saw was that pinks in general doesnt mean i will smack stuff harder. i got plenty of them that have much lower dps then my greens. also that staffs (atleast at my lvl) have lower or same dps as wands. will this change later?

do staffs do aoe dmg on autoattack?

do weapondps affect (effect?) your spells damage?

i have more questions but cant remember them right now. ill try and add them to this thread when i do.

br.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

dual spec is when you have enough points in 2 different attributes to wear 2 types of gear. I have a level 57 bear that has 145 str and 144 dex which is enough to equip both level 56 str items and level 56 dex items. Dual spec was changed a lot with this last update and I'm not sure if it's possible at lower levels anymore. Maybe someone else would know.

Typically a dex mage runs in dex gear. The advantages of being a dex mage is the high crit you get with dex gear and your blessings of might spell. This allows you to do large amounts of damage to a single target. The disadvantages are 1) you lose lots of armor, 2) you're spells are weakened when you take points out of int and put them into dex. This is esp noticeable with "heal".

35 isn't too low to be a bowmage if that's what you want to do. I would suggest buying the "shivering" gear which is the dex gear dropped at frozen nightmares. My mage, however, is pure int and I always recommend to mages that they go full int. If that's what you decide to do then I would buy brain freeze equips (the int gear from frozen nightmares) or get the voodoo set (which is a little bit better but a lot more expensive). Either set you get will see you through to level 45.

The zone you bought that drops a lot of purp/pink weapons is probably skeller krunch returns. I myself never found much useful drops there. I'd recommend getting shivering gear (if you decide to go bow mage) or brain freeze gear (if you decide to go nuke mage) and farm swamps while you level. If you get a pink from swamps try to equip it to see if it makes you stronger. If it doesn't go to the CS and sell it. Many items from swamps such as voodoo, fishing/casting poles, banjos, frog legs, swamp juices, swamp rats, copperhead, etc. still sell for quite a bit and you can make lots of gold there. I turned my xp gain off and farmed swamps until I made 1 million gold then I moved on. Btw, if you can get your hands on a mamboza fire pin definitely do it. The last time I checked they were running about 90k gold but you can use it up to level 50. This wand will do more damage than any staff you can find and it will allow you to equip a doll, bracer, or eye to increase your armor.

some staffs do aoe damage but I'm not sure which ones. I never worried about it much myself since most of my kills came from spells.

weapons definitely affect your spell damage. In general staffs do more skill damage than wands. After you equip a weapon go to ur skill page and look at ur damage then equip the next weapon and go check. You can see how the damage changes.

If you have any more questions feel free to post!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thank you! was very informative. i checked the auction and none of the items you talked about where up at the mo.

ill stick full int for now. had a really nice session at the alien oasis where i felt strong again. the ice place and swamps really got me wondering if i enjoyed this game enough to push through.

me and a friend bought that elite frost dungeon. he is a bear. also have a brother that plays a bird and once or twice every week we are all free and can play together. question is. is it worth slowly killing mobs in there for possible drops?

also how does xp work? blue yellow red quests. everything gives me 1 xp per kill or completion. only place where it was diff was in the bonus swamp where i got two xp per mob.

br.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

you're welcome.
    frozen nightmares is an elite dungeon and you'll have trouble completing it with 2 or 3 level 35 characters. A whole party of 35's are able to do it but you'll still get wiped occasionally. It surprises me that you can't find and brain freeze drops in CS. Search for "brain-freeze" (include the hyphn) and see if that helps any.

I'm not sure exactly how xp works beyond that red gives the most.

Alien Oasis is really easy. Swamps is my favorite. The pinks there sell for tons. If you get any voodoo items keep them for yourself. Sell the rest!