Thread: Suggestion: Increase the (gold) start-up cost for a guild.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Default Suggestion: Increase the (gold) start-up cost for a guild.

I'd like to suggest increasing the required gold to start a guild.

Issues with 'guild name stealing/copying' is becoming a more rampant issue because of how relatively cheap it is to start the guild. 250k is a good amount, but enough for a troll to spare to stir trouble.

20 plat is fine, IMO, since plat is real cash.

Starting up a guild should mean something, and not just be able to be done by a single person.

The figure that comes to mind is roughly 500k-1M. Costly, but this would promote more comradery and effort into making a guild, probably weed out those 'stealing' guilds or 'fake' guilds. A group of friends can pool their cash to make this guild, and you'd have the officers right there.

Sensitive issue, so I need your opinions. Agree, disagree? How much more?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Agree x 1000. Great suggestion elly, I would like to see this happen.
    Skavengr - lvl56 dual spec tank/bow bear, Alameina - lvl56 full mega int mage, MegaDooomer - lvl56 full custom dex bird

Skavenger - commando, Skavengr - engineer, MegaDooomer - operative
    Quote Originally Posted by Morawk View Post
    Your Int is only 1. You should not even be able to form words in your mouth lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slush View Post
    They're noobs, what do you expect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Elly 4 prez 2012
    Proud Co-Leader of Infinite Union
    Infinite Union forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

You are only looking at from your perspective as a high level. Newer players should be able to start a guild with other newer players if they want. Newer players don't have THAT much gold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Megabird56 View Post
    You are only looking at from your perspective as a high level. Newer players should be able to start a guild with other newer players if they want. Newer players don't have THAT much gold.
    Exactly why the plat option is there.

I don't suggest raising the plat option since it requires real cash. Players mature enough to not try and do something childish like trolling via guild names probably have the capability to buy themselves some plat, and 20 plat isn't that expensive, IMO.

However, I know some younger players have very limited access to platinum. Unfortunately though, I don't mean to be anti-youth or anything, I have siblings and relatives younger, way younger than me, but usually maturity comes with age, therefore the 'younger' population has more tendency to make trouble. They can't drain 20 plat at will if they don't have quick access to plat, and the high gold cost will make them think twice about trying to do something childish.
    Last edited by Ellyidol; 09-10-2011 at 11:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Hear what you're saying, but I disagree.

Only the elite players would be able to start a guild using gold. For elite players 1mil is not much, but for newer players 1mil seems practically unattainable.

There is no reason to restrict access to guild creation using gold to only elite players.

I could start several guilds without problem for 1 million gold each but a level 25 must spend plat just to start ONE? Doesn't make sense

It would not serve to capture new players
    Last edited by Megabird56; 09-11-2011 at 12:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Maybe sts should hire a guy to review guild names.

It may sound far fetched, but they have to read emails all day anyway so get a guy to go thru the requests each day, put a 24 hour wait on new guilds, like how hard could that be, even if 40 new guilds were made one day (doubt that on a good day), thats like, ten minutes of reading or running thru a search program. Im sure knights of cyd-ION-a would have got a rejection. That is probably never gonna happen, but that would be awesome.
    Proud Co-Leader of Infinite Union
    Infinite Union forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Hear what you're saying, but I disagree.

Only the elite players would be able to start a guild using gold. For elite players 1mil is not much, but for newer players 1mil seems practically unattainable.

There is no reason to restrict access to guild creation using gold to only elite players.

I could start several guilds without problem for 1 million gold each but a level 25 must spend plat just to start ONE? Doesn't make sense

It would not serve to capture new players
    Good point, and I agree to an extent.

Maybe we have different perceptions on what a guild is. Yes, it wouldn't serve good to capture new players, but, IMO, the game isn't about the guild, but the guild is about the game. That said, the game itself should be able to attract the new players with the guild acting as incentive.

I don't know, but the way I see it, guilds (no matter how 'non-elite' it is) should be something to be aimed for, even slightly.

I'm not sure why the low level would create a guild in the first place, if the start-up cost is that much of an issue, versus just joining an established one?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    I'm not sure why the low level would create a guild in the first place, if the start-up cost is that much of an issue, versus just joining an established one?
    Maybe they do not like joining large guilds. Or are an older player who just happens to be lower level as they are a part-time player, and are not going to take "game orders" from someone younger, so to speak.

Have to disagree, Elly. I think your intent is solid, but this is too slanted towards high-end players and if it were to happen, would cause resentment. Plat only to start a guild at lower levels, but gold for high-end players, if I read that right? No, THAT wouldn't cause some screaming.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

The reason a low level would want to start a guild is the same reason a high level would want to start a guild. That's the point i was trying to make.

I respect your opinion but i think we can agree to disagree. lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    Maybe they do not like joining large guilds. Or are an older player who just happens to be lower level as they are a part-time player, and are not going to take "game orders" from someone younger, so to speak.

Have to disagree, Elly. I think your intent is solid, but this is too slanted towards high-end players and if it were to happen, would cause resentment.
    No worries. I just think that is why a plat option is given, for those that do not want to use gold (because they can't afford it or would rather save it).

The reason a low level would want to start a guild is the same reason a high level would want to start a guild. That's the point i was trying to make.

I respect your opinion but i think we can agree to disagree. lol.
    Agreed.

Maybe I'm looking at this from the wrong angle. Maybe not the monetary cost, but actual cost to start the guild, effort put into it, etc.

A low level quest chain?

The point I want to suggest is, whether monetary or not, to increase the effort of making a guild to prevent just 'making' one.
    Last edited by Ellyidol; 09-11-2011 at 12:31 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I suggested low lvl chain quests a while back for guild creation. They could have maps that required switches or something that would require all members to be hit within a short time period. Map ideas like this require players to work together, making it less likely for a lone griefer to cause issues. I'm not in favor of spending piles of gold to create a guild for the same reasons discussed earlier.
    Grimtigrex - "I like people who take time out of there life to help other people. Thank you!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orcish View Post
    I suggested low lvl chain quests a while back for guild creation. They could have maps that required switches or something that would require all members to be hit within a short time period. Map ideas like this require players to work together, making it less likely for a lone griefer to cause issues. I'm not in favor of spending piles of gold to create a guild for the same reasons discussed earlier.
    Agreed.

I admit, increasing the monetary cost for guild creation was a wrong approach, thanks for pointing it out guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Omg Elly...I cant even afford the 250k...You want 500k+?? Your gonna run me broke!

jk, im in a guild

I still think a few trolls will go for it to cause a stir...somebody can steal the name of a super well known guild (Eg: KoC) and be able to impersonate them...IMO thats enough for somebody to give up a lot of time for. Will def. reduce the problem though

EDIT: This really favors players who have a lot of gold....Which is why I now disagree! Not everybody can easily spare 500k to create a guild. Although it will help stop a negative side of low guild costs, it will prevent good future/possible guild leaders who do not have the ample gold from creating a guild that may or may not be a great one.
    Last edited by Register; 09-11-2011 at 03:47 PM.
    ShadowPlat OneMoreDay RegiLess & RegFree
    My Guess: 177