Thread: How is the fireball mastery of the mage?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default How is the fireball mastery of the mage?

Well, just found out how potentially overpowered this skill is and its mastery. So I maxed out fireball skill 5/5 + 10/10 for its mastery.

And basically this is what I got:
    Name:  Screen shot.png
Views: 399
Size:  808.1 KB

and

Name:  Screnshot 2.png
Views: 370
Size:  792.2 KB

So I tested this on the Elite Misty Grotto and Elite Southern Gate mobs. And got like 1500-3500 dmg(initial hit from the fireball // average damage 1900-ish per hit(not crit)) and around 300-500(burning damage for 5 seconds + avg dot is 300-400(not crit), so total of 1750-ish overall).

So if we combined 1900+1750 it's 3650. If you manage to hit the group of mobs 3x every 3 seconds you'll do over 10k damage. Also, damage varies on difficulty of the mobs, sometimes I do 4k initial damage randomly and do like 500-600 burning damage for 5 seconds for easier elites.

So this got me asking myself? Is this mastery potentially worth upgrading? I've been using this on elite lately and it's really, really gooooood. Knocking 11 enemies within 7m, stunning them, and reducing their hit chance by 25% for 5 sec every 3 second -- for me is really dang good!

This is my skill build btw:
    Fireball - 5/5
    Clock - 5/5
    Arcane shield - 1,2,4,5.
    Lifegiver - 1,2,3,4. (I know, I am a nab and cheap for using this skill, but this is what I am comfortable at.)

Passives:
    Durable 5/5
    Knowledge 5/5
    Agility 5/5
    Might 5/5
    (Skill attributes are all on int)

Mastery
    Clock 7/10 (It's enough to freeze the mob imo)
    Fireball 10/10 (3 sec cooldown and targets hit increased by 11)

Discuss your opinions on this! Would want to know your thoughts!

Edited: Also, if you have 1300dmg+, you'll have bigger initial dmg and dot!
    Last edited by Zevile; 08-08-2016 at 12:30 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    237 Posts

This is mages best mastery. It increase your raw fireball damage output by 25% in PvP and far more (over 200%) in PvE. A must have for all mages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts

For PVE only, I chose to go with Clock and Frost mastery rather than Fireball/Cock. I run a 4 skill build rather than 2 as you are doing which changes things.

I found the frost mastery to be more beneficial overall due to its ability to freeze bosses and single target damage. (Fireball only gives burning damage to bosses - no apparent stun that I've seen).

Additionally, it's rare that I'm hitting upwards of 7 mobs at a time - Underhul and Planar tombs the exception.

Running with four skills, the cool down with fire mastery didn't help because of skill rotation (the extra second gained is a waste because I'm still firing other skills long after its cool down)

Just a suggestion for you, drop mana restore and increased rage on Heal and pick up Light for boss fights. (Or better, drop Heal entirely). As it stands now, you have only 1 ranged attack for boss fights.

That said, for me, FB mastery is extremely useful in PVP.

IGN: Cryformana, Drizzitty
    IGN:

Rogue: Drizzitty
    Mage: Cryformana

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Otahaanak View Post
    For PVE only, I chose to go with Clock and Frost mastery rather than Fireball/Cock. I run a 4 skill build rather than 2 as you are doing which changes things.

I found the frost mastery to be more beneficial overall due to its ability to freeze bosses and single target damage. (Fireball only gives burning damage to bosses - no apparent stun that I've seen).

Additionally, it's rare that I'm hitting upwards of 7 mobs at a time - Underhul and Planar tombs the exception.

Running with four skills, the cool down with fire mastery didn't help because of skill rotation (the extra second gained is a waste because I'm still firing other skills long after its cool down)

Just a suggestion for you, drop mana restore and increased rage on Heal and pick up Light for boss fights. (Or better, drop Heal entirely). As it stands now, you have only 1 ranged attack for boss fights.

B-but... mana and heal pots are really really, expensive. And people rage at me if I don't have lifegiver as a mage.

If I do the drop the lifegiver skill, should I go for lightning or frost? Frost seems to be both better at mobs and bosses, tho' I do not have the pts left for the mastery to be even more effective. So I am thinking on getting lightning skill since it's OP enough even without the mastery skill. Thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts

This is nothing compared to clock shift mastery, a stunned enemy is a dead enemy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zevile View Post
    B-but... mana and heal pots are really really, expensive. And people rage at me if I don't have lifegiver as a mage.

If I do the drop the lifegiver skill, should I go for lightning or frost? Frost seems to be both better at mobs and bosses, tho' I do not have the pts left for the mastery to be even more effective. So I am thinking on getting lightning skill since it's OP enough even without the mastery skill. Thoughts?
    If you drop heal, that's four points available. So take 3/5 Frost (2 and 3 upgrades) and light. That way you have both

It's too lengthy to into, but if you drop durable as well, add 15% extra dam and crit bonus on light , that gives you 3 points to put elsewhere- like damage passive (since it now stacks).

And if you get trouble for not using heal , just ignore them, they know not what they are doing.

IGN:

Rogue: Drizzitty
    Mage: Cryformana

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Otahaanak For This Useful Post:

Are you a stalker? Awesomeness: ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    248 Posts

What I see is if you reduce the cooldown with 1.0, then the "seconds" shouldn't have "s" right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Otahaanak View Post

Yea this is true. +1 to this.

Also the typo had me dying xD you know what typo i'm talking about