Thread: If It Ain't Broke....(chat)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default If It Ain't Broke....(chat)

...don't fix it, a wise man once said. Why the change to the chat functions? It was working just fine IMO. There are two rather annoying problems with the chat now. Firstly, you can't shrink the chat window to one line anymore. For those of us playing on phones, screen real estate is precious. Before, I liked that I could expand the chat if I wanted to, and get rid of it when I didn't need it. I personally only ever used the full chat window and the smallest one-line window, never the three-line one that is now standard. Maybe that's just a personal preference, but to me the three-line chat window is a little pointless. Big enough to be in the way, small enough that it doesn't really help with following the chat if that's why you're trying to do.

Which brings me to the second issue, the fact that you can't expand the chat window to full size without entering the typing screen. The two functions are essentially one and the same now. Previously, you could check the chat while you were moving, running around town or maps or whatever. Now you have to stop everything just to look at the full chat. Particularly annoying if you want to look back at something someone said while you're in the middle of a run, where you usually don't want to stop.

Did people ask for these changes? I'm just curious. I don't think I'm alone here, but if it's just me that liked the old chat functions better, I'll be quiet. I almost hate to complain, because STS does a fantastic job overall. I have nothing but respect and appreciation for everything the devs do. Just seems to me that there was nothing wrong with the chat to begin with, and while I know the intentions were good, it's quite the opposite of an improvement.
    Last edited by McBain; 09-14-2011 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

While the new chat is semi-easier to use since there's more of it when typing, the fact that we can't have a bigger chat or small chat while it isn't open is absolutely horrible.

Fix the chat. Bring back the button and controlling the amount of lines. Taking away both the button and lines amount control was too much of a change. Would be better to just have the chat get wider like now, but allow changing amount of lines shown and activating with a button again. The quick chat button is lonely now.

Bring back emotes button there all the the time.

Everything else can stay. I rather like the shortcuts filling the whole screen now.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

I second mcbain i really dont like the feel of it...I don't know maybe its just because im not use to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I agree 100%.

The font of the text got bigger and the chat box can no longer be expanded making it harder to cope up with messages.
    Anybody can sacrifice a queen. The real trick is getting away with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I support this suggestion and didn't like the removing of the chat box adjusting button. Hope you guys add it back
    Arcane Legends: Hyun

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Yes the chat didnt need a fix...

It was good... now its just bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kakatoa91 View Post
    Yes the chat didnt need a fix...

It was good... now its just bad.
    Exactly. Can't stand it now. Most of the other things I could get used to (even if I don't like them right off the bat) but the chat window changes were no bueno. I don't care if 'new user testing' liked it...the vet players generally do not seem to.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

On a similar note, this is just in SL right?

Edit:

Yeah, I found it weird. Funny how I couldn't even reply to a friend that said hello. Lol.
    Last edited by Ellyidol; 09-15-2011 at 06:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol:417167
    On a similar note, this is just in SL right?

Edit:

Yeah, I found it weird. Funny how I couldn't even reply to a friend that said hello. Lol.
    Lol I type sooooo slow now. I tried getting to emotes and accidentaly exited the game I created. >.<

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Mainly, I'm not fond of it at the top of the screen. That's straight ahead for me when running a map and if I'm trying to cover ground (like I was stupid and died and need to run back), it limits how far ahead I can touch at a time without opening up a reply window. At the bottom, it's near my feet and as long as my char isn't chewing gum or dancing, I really don't need to look at them. ;-)
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

They fixed it! God bless your hearts, devs.