Thread: Lifegiver instead of Arcane Shield

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Lifegiver instead of Arcane Shield

In this post I would like explain why I ditched Arcane Shield and chose to run around with Lifegiver. There plenty of mages out there that say Lifegiver sucks and that it is better to use pots instead, I think thats just plain silly talk. I am going as far as to say that for PVE, Lifegiver is superior to Arcane Shield provided the right build. It was during Jarls housing event that i started questioning AS in my build. What I noticed when soloing Jarl tons of times (Not every mage has luxury of having a good warrior) is that AS made very little difference. When Jarl took a swipe at me 75% of my health was gone, shield or no shield. We know that AS gets better with STR stat so i went and phrchased high str gear, I even dropped some serious gold on fury gems just to boost my shield. That helped a little bit with absorbing initial shock, but now it took 3 times as much time to kill Jarl and the use of pots skyrocketed due to increased battle time. I thought there must be a better way. I spent multiple respec scrolls and even more gold to come up with a build that i find is not only better, cheaper but more efficient while exploring Arlor. Im lvl 48 and in this build I focus mainly on INT. All attribute points go to INT, gear I choose is INT oriented with few points in DEX (adds a little more smack to my lighning spell). To boost health I decided to use nature jewels and a pet that gives STR perk. I found Ribbit to suit my needs perfectly. Skills are maxed fireball, timeshift, lightning bolt and life giver. Passives are maxed knowledge, dexterity, might, armor and damage. Remainder of points go to lighning spell mastery.Mage rifles like luminescers are excellent choice for this setup. This setup requires a change in tactic as compared to shield build. Idea is to kill quick and heal afterwards. When battling a boss, pop uncharged fireball to get his attention than drop charged timeshift in his path, RUUN!!! Drop lightning nukes by triggering Ribbit ability (+40% crit chance) right before lightning spell. Heal with charged lifegiver as soon as your health drops to 40% to 50%. When attacking mobs, use charged fireball to lay em on ground, drop uncharged timeshift on top of them, keep dropping charged lightning nukes and heal with charged lifegiver. I found that when using this set up, my survivalbilyty is higher and use far less gold buying potions. So in conclusion, to make AS worthwhile tons of resources must be spent on specialized gear, when high damage build with lifegiver skills works just as good if not better at much lower cost and without continuous expenditure on health and mana potions.
    Last edited by Angrytyrant; 08-12-2016 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Fixed some typos

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Angrytyrant For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

you do you, sister! that's what i like about this game. if it works for you, then go for it.

lots of the advice found on forums only applies to one segment of the AL population (ppl with arcane n mythic pets n gear). i am part of that segment, but i remember well experimenting with builds that worked with the best pet n gear i could afford at various times. i often lacked the hp and armor before i got arcane pets and that gave me different priorities in using skill points.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    157 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Angrytyrant View Post
    In this post I would like explain why I ditched Arcane Shield and chose to run around with Lifegiver. There plenty of mages out there that say Lifegiver sucks and that it is better to use pots instead, I think thats just plain silly talk. I am going as far as to say that for PVE, Lifegiver is superior to Arcane Shield provided the right build. It was during Jarls housing event that i started questioning AS in my build. What I noticed when soloing Jarl tons of times (Not every mage has luxury of having a good warrior) is that AS made very little difference. When Jarl took a swipe at me 75% of my health was gone, shield or no shield. We know that AS gets better with STR stat so i went and phrchased high str gear, I even dropped some serious gold on fury gems just to boost my shield. That helped a little bit with absorbing initial shock, but now it took 3 times as much time to kill Jarl and the use of pots skyrocketed due to increased battle time. I thought there must be a better way. I spent multiple respec scrolls and even more gold to come up with a build that i find is not only better, cheaper but more efficient while exploring Arlor. Im lvl 48 and in this build I focus mainly on INT. All attribute points go to INT, gear I choose is INT oriented with few points in DEX (adds a little more smack to my lighning spell). To boost health I decided to use nature jewels and a pet that gives STR perk. I found Ribbit to suit my needs perfectly. Skills are maxed fireball, timeshift, lightning bolt and life giver. Passives are maxed knowledge, dexterity, might, armor and damage. Remainder of points go to lighning spell mastery.Mage rifles like luminescers are excellent choice for this setup. This setup requires a change in tactic as compared to shield build. Idea is to kill quick and heal afterwards. When battling a boss, pop uncharged fireball to get his attention than drop charged timeshift in his path, RUUN!!! Drop lightning nukes by triggering Ribbit ability (+40% crit chance) right before lightning spell. Heal with charged lifegiver as soon as your health drops to 40% to 50%. When attacking mobs, use charged fireball to lay em on ground, drop uncharged timeshift on top of them, keep dropping charged lightning nukes and heal with charged lifegiver. I found that when using this set up, my survivalbilyty is higher and use far less gold buying potions. So in conclusion, to make AS worthwhile tons of resources must be spent on specialized gear, when high damage build with lifegiver skills works just as good if not better at much lower cost and without continuous expenditure on health and mana potions.
    Enter elite underhull without shield - die in 1 hit , no heal can save from that XD

Heal is good for easy maps and events , but as you get to the harder stuff , shield will become a must have .
    Last edited by Gouiwaa9000; 08-13-2016 at 04:04 AM.

Ign : Derp - endgame main / Gouiwaa : will be a twink once twinking is back / Derpynuts : lvl1 , my troll account