I'm about to buy a Flameforged Hexstone staff for my lvl 52 Sorc.

I have a question regarding how having a weapon like this with an OP proc does or doesn't affect your skills or skill usage. What I mean is, if I had a basic staff with high damage and no proc (say a Beetleborn Antenna), I wouldn't go out of my way to autoattack. I would always prioritize my skills, and only autoattack when skills were on cooldown.

Now I've seen this Flameforged Staff in action with its Wildfire proc, and obviously it's in my best interest to get in at least one or two autoattacks early, perhaps right after I cast my first spell. But am I going to want to autoattack a lot? From what I've both observed and read, Wildfire seems to have a high proc chance, and it also seems to spread on its own without having to keep autoattacking. But once I've spread Wildfire to a group, would autoattacking more do anything to spread it faster or increase the number of stacks?

My current build is shield/clock/fireball/lightning, with clock mastery, int, str, dmg, crit passives, and remaining points into fireball mastery. I have always charged my spells and prioritized using them as soon as they come off cooldown. I've been using a Glint Gun, which I've grown tired of. I don't consider its proc to be good enough or have a high enough proc chance to be worth prioritizing autoattacks, and I rarely get an autoattack in prioritizing my 3 damage spells.

I am wondering if maybe I should even replace lightning with heal, if I'm going to want to be autoattacking more now anyway.

Thoughts?