Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Regarding Buying Names

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

Default Regarding Buying Names

Ever since I started playing AL I've wanted a cool name. However due to them all being taken, all my characters have random letter names that mean nothing.

Due to the recent release of names, I would be interested in buying a name that I could use. This unfortunatly is banable. So how do I get a name that someone is willing to let go for a cost without both of us getting banned?

I remember seeing name "contests" in the contest section which, in my eyes, is basically buying names. Is this against TOS?

For me having a cool, original name is more important then having a cool vanity or good gear. Now that people have rare names, I want to get my hands on one I like before they're all gone. I'm guessing many people will get banned for the sale of names since many others want cool names but were unable to get them after they were released and people are always looking for a way to get rich quick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

It's supposedly against TOS, then again the majority of people hoard names to sell. I'm going to stare clear of this "trap" myself.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gatzoo5505 View Post
    It's supposedly against TOS, then again the majority of people hoard names to sell. I'm going to stare clear of this "trap" myself.
    I would never risk being banned just to get a name. But if there was a way I could get a cool one whithout being banned, I would do it. Not sure why its banable in the first place but I guess we just need to follow the rules.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Deeds were a good idea, such as tavern deed..the only reason sts ban name selling is because it can't be done within the trade window and makes people prone to scam.

So if a player could have say a name deed saying "name deed - (name here)" then people could sell there names with no risk. Whilst also being able to change there names to there other toons without the risk of someone else snatching it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Probationer View Post
    Deeds were a good idea, such as tavern deed..the only reason sts ban name selling is because it can't be done within the trade window and makes people prone to scam.

So if a player could have say a name deed saying "name deed - (name here)" then people could sell there names with no risk. Whilst also being able to change there names to there other toons without the risk of someone else snatching it.
    Good way to sell names but I'm afraid it will make the life of scammers easier, at least the non-platinum users. Scam a few people and easily rename after word got out that he/she is a scammer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

Just use a bit of thinking. A few days ago, I created a new character. It took less than 5 minutes to name it: Coxin. I did not even have to dip into my file of name ideas.

Star light, star bright...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    236 Posts

I've never heard of anyone banned for selling or buying names.

8.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #8
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tatman View Post
    I've never heard of anyone banned for selling or buying names.
    It happens. We can't protect against scams, and it is not uncommon to get scammed like this.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

I don't get this fetish with buying short names for millions either: if you play like a toddler, the name god won't save you from being excluded from the party in the long run.
    I have seen a ton of longer names which make me giggle everytime i think of them. Use your imagination guys!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ardbeg For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ardbeg View Post
    I don't get this fetish with buying short names for millions either: if you play like a toddler, the name god won't save you from being excluded from the party in the long run.
    I have seen a ton of longer names which make me giggle everytime i think of them. Use your imagination guys!
    I dare you to use the name - fluffyredbunnyx or wakajunqiaso for a month...which are pretty much like the names on offer as most have been taken.
    You have a 6 letter name which sounds decent, so I doubt you'd know.

Also, I've never understood you and avaree... Who follows who? Are you allowed to stand on avaree? Cause most aren't without being banned.

Curiosity always gets the better of us.

As for names worth millions, it's simply a vanity and a gold sink once there's nothing else to buy...you of all people should know that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrce View Post
    Just use a bit of thinking. A few days ago, I created a new character. It took less than 5 minutes to name it: Coxin. I did not even have to dip into my file of name ideas.
    So cool, I have one similar except it's Cozin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by To be or not to be... View Post
    I dare you to use the name - fluffyredbunnyx or wakajunqiaso for a month...which are pretty much like the names on offer as most have been taken.
    You have a 6 letter name which sounds decent, so I doubt you'd know.

Also, I've never understood you and avaree... Who follows who? Are you allowed to stand on avaree? Cause most aren't without being banned.

Curiosity always gets the better of us.

As for names worth millions, it's simply a vanity and a gold sink once there's nothing else to buy...you of all people should know that.
    1) It is not the number of letters which is important. You can always abbreviate that for convenience while having a long funny story as a name.

2) The incident you mentioned was a bit more then you make it seem now. It was an organized mobbing action which led to an account review which brought up more sinister things which led to a ban. Ask Gary about this as he handles these things now, but dont believe or spread the idiot version!

3) A Gold Sink is when the gold created out of nothing in the economy gets used up for pots, cs fees and leaves the economy, helping avoid inflation. Players moving gold for names has nothing to do with that, as the gold stays in the economy. It is just diverted unjustly to the players online at the right time and with enough criminal energy.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ardbeg For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

1) It is not the number of letters which is important. You can always abbreviate that for convenience while having a long funny story as a name.

2) The incident you mentioned was a bit more then you make it seem now. It was an organized mobbing action which led to an account review which brought up more sinister things which led to a ban. Ask Gary about this as he handles these things now, but dont believe or spread the idiot version!

3) A Gold Sink is when the gold created out of nothing in the economy gets used up for pots, cs fees and leaves the economy, helping avoid inflation. Players moving gold for names has nothing to do with that, as the gold stays in the economy. It is just diverted unjustly to the players online at the right time and with enough criminal energy.
    Very well answered.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

Don't get me wrong, a players name doesn't make them good. Just like good gear doesn't mean that persons a good person either. It has just been my dream to have a cool name, not that I expect to be respected because of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Korabiv View Post
    Don't get me wrong, a players name doesn't make them good. Just like good gear doesn't mean that persons a good person either. It has just been my dream to have a cool name, not that I expect to be respected because of it.
    Thats all cool. All i am saying is, don't let others tell you you have to spend millions for a name to keep up (tos aside). You end up with a short but completely unpersonal unoriginal name. Why not spend a few more letters for something fun. Names like Pain, Death (no offense Moe), ... might be desirable on first look, but they tell nothing about you, they are rare but generic. Just think about that for a sec.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ardbeg For This Useful Post: