Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your Complete Reliance on Engineers is Unfortunately Unfair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts

I've already seen few very respectable people calling some engineers noobs that don't heal enough, before bailing. Engineers can't perma heal and keep your health bar full. Anyway, seriously, who cares about these tiny heals, empathy = 3 pots.
    It was fun while it lasted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blindmaster View Post
    I've already seen few very respectable people calling some engineers noobs that don't heal enough, before bailing. Engineers can't perma heal and keep your health bar full. Anyway, seriously, who cares about these tiny heals, empathy = 3 pots.
    Me. I do. They may be tiny and I certainly don't expect to not need pots or for the poor Engie to keep my health bar full. But a little shot of Empathy can make the difference between me having enough life left to to snag a pot or the Engineer having to revive me (or me having to walk back, for that matter). 23 Engineer, my 27 Commando and a mid-20's Op did Guardian last night by ourselves. Had the Engie not been spamming Empathy, there's likely a few times where I would have died because I was busy spamming every dang skill I had. If I had gone down, by the time I got revived, swigged a few stims and reacquired aggro, either the Engie or the Op or both would've been dead. And yes, I PM'd a very large thank you to the Engie when we were all done thanking him. Those "tiny heals" can make a very, very large difference.
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've developed my own set of Laws of Engineering:

1. If you're going to run off on your own and abandon your team, I'm not going to follow which means you're not getting healed and I'm not going to leave the rest of the group to come rev you.

2. I'd you're going to be a jerk (not only to me but to other group members) then be assured I'll let you die and won't rev you.

3. If you're the only Commando then you need to tank, just like if I'm the only Engineer I need to heal. If you don't I just won't heal you.

4. If you swear at me I'll keep reviving you but I won't heal you. Please understand that I don't do this because I'm an incompetent healer, I do it because you're being a jerk and sometimes Karma just needs some help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evl1312 View Post
    Engineers are overrated to me. Yes I thank you for your healing effects but they are just kinda there. I never really wanted to play as a healer because I don't wanna get yelled at like u claim people do. I'll stick to my DPS and tanking

Oh and I've never seen an engineer use a defense buff...aside from the one that has the 3 person figures on it.
    Hah, 120 armor doesn't protect much. Trust me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hahaha

Engineers do their job(SOME) as for me i can't always sit there and revive some one fifty times because they brought back a whorde of enemies if you die once FINE, if you die 100 times i CAN'T keep reviving you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I play all 3 characters (Eng lvl30, Commando lvl30, Ops lvl29) so I have a decent idea how they function in a team. When I play an engy, my focus is to keep others alive as best I can (not always possible if people do stupid things like drag two Vulars and a host of those nasty burrowers on Numa Prime). I max out empathy, tranference, leech, have a good amount of points in suppression and force shield and 1 point for rez & pain. That said, I don't sit back and do nothing except heal and rez. I always use my weapon and pain to stun. When appropriate, I will drop an aggressive tranference and/or leech and suppression when being overwhelmed. I use force shield (+2/s at lvl 4) mainly for the mana recoup and rez when I see fallen comrades (not always immediately as it may get me killed in some instances). I think most non-engy's have problems with engys which are either too gung-ho & always get themselves killed(stupid wanna be commmandos), or engys who are too stingy with heals (I have met some playing a commando or ops and had to rely on pots to survive) or engys which just don't bother with rezzes (blind engys). There is always going to be people like that you have to work around (its a mark of greatness if you can pull it off with crappy team - lol) but that applies equally to crappy tanks and crappy ops as well. My best advice is join a good guild and be part of a good team of players who you can rely on and who can rely on you.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thank you so much! I get called stupid and useless because I don't carry empathy or revive! Im a debuffing engineer I do more over all damage then cmd and ops

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Easy SuperNas - no need to get your nose out of joint. If you have an aggressive build and am a decent player, then I assume you know how to keep yourself alive and don't fall in the "stupid wanna be commmando" bucket. However, I'm assuming that you are referring to damage over time and not debuffing as engineers do not have any debuffs. Engys have two damage over time skills (leech and wither) but do have a 3 other damage skills (pain/sonic boom/tranference). Even if you max all of these, I seriously doubt you can outdo a properly spec'd ops for damage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Draco Mikato View Post
    I will admit that it is our job as Engineers to provide healing and reviving, as well as optional defense buffs if you thankfully accept that we provide it at all. (No need to bash one's play style if it can still benefit you and the entire party, and keep the run going at no problem. According to a small study done by some dedicated members and simple acceptance, people reject or flame when they get a Protection buff.)

But anyway... to my main point.

I cannot heal someone who is getting pummeled by over 7 enemies on Slouch-o's. But I will try my best. As long as a fight is going on, my heal is on constant cast. And I will even risk gaining aggro by using Tranference to give you that faster heal. That is the best I can do. Please don't bark at us that we're not healing right. Empathy comes in waves with a waiting time, not instantaneous, and on top of that, it doesn't have a very far reach. Yes, I do run next to the dying member of the party and back and forth, or try to position myself so that there can be the maximum benefit of casting Empathy.

Just please be aware that when people in your party are trying their best and you still die, you have no one to blame. Because you cannot afford stims, refused to use them or did not readily prepare yourself to bring any is not my responsibility.

Dedicated engineers will revive and heal without you having to say something rude. Thank your engineers. In my opinion, we are the most imperative luxuries, if not necessities in a party.

How a person plays is a considerable factor, be it an Engineer, a Commando, or an Operative.

If you die while others are doing their job well, then, as Draco Mikato said, the players next to you are not to blame.

When I'm using my Engineer, I even sometimes die trying to get to a player that got killed 'cause he or she has done something irresponsible, just so that I could revive him or her. But I don't go about blaming that player. Responsible or not, as an Engineer it's part of our job. I go out of my way just to fulfill my part. But that's me.

Do what is expected of you, and don't rely too much on others. Play smartly that's all I'm saying.

Now what I hate is when all the team dies and the Engineer is expected to respawn and run back to revive the others 'cause they're just lazy to come back. There'll always be running, man. Respawn! LOL

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hotmumbo:434694
    Easy SuperNas - no need to get your nose out of joint. If you have an aggressive build and am a decent player, then I assume you know how to keep yourself alive and don't fall in the "stupid wanna be commmando" bucket. However, I'm assuming that you are referring to damage over time and not debuffing as engineers do not have any debuffs. Engys have two damage over time skills (leech and wither) but do have a 3 other damage skills (pain/sonic boom/tranference). Even if you max all of these, I seriously doubt you can outdo a properly spec'd ops for damage.

Ahaha I'm pretty sure your not calling me stupid...obviously your the stupid one for saying engineers don't have any debuffs lol are you forgetting about decay??? -60 armor dude ....know what your talking bout before you say something...like do you even play sl?? This is My playing style, My account, I buy My Platts .. I can play the way I want too. Don't like it then DONT get caught in a RUN with me! ;D

I have wither6 pain6 decay6 leech6 transfer5.
    Last edited by SuperNas; 10-03-2011 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Easy nas, that was borderline rude, calling someone stupid. You still only have one buff for a miniscule +1 dps that is only active at most half a run on one enemy at a time. I assure you, their is no way with any skill set up that you can out single target damage an operative or out aoe a tank. At least, not if you are playing with properly specced comrades.

That said, your build does offer considerable dps, just not possible to "break" the games class niches in that way.
    You may call me bits or giga...just don't call me at dinner time
    Gigabits-engineer(main)-Bitsoarmor-commando-bitsopain-operative-Bitsohelp-engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Don't worry about reasoning with him GigaBits - he's pretty set in his ways so let him believe his Engy build out-dpses all other class builds. Anyways, I'm not easily offended even if some people take their gaming way too seriously. Like you said -60 armour from Decay really does not amount to much of a debuff - must have missed that minor technicality for which I apologise. Anyways, I'm done with this thread so won't be looking at it anymore - no point prolonging a flame war.