Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uniform droprate for bosses

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Uniform droprate for bosses

Skeller still drops loads of pinks, AO is now empty of pinks, and still nobody is happy....

So, in an ideal world, with a realistic suggestion, how would you like the droprate to work, first, i'll give you my ideal situation.

When a boss is killed, you seem to have one drop chance per person, this drop would have:-

7% chance to be pink, if that roll fails then;-
    12% chance to be purple, if that roll fails then;-
    17% chance to be green, if that roll fails then;-
    22% chance to be orange, if that roll fails then;-
    60% chance to be white, if that roll fails then;-
    80% chance to be grey, if that roll fails then;-

So in 100 boss kills, on average you would recieve:-

7 Pinks (7.0)
    12 Purples (11.6)
    14 Greens (13.838)
    15 Orange (14.86364)
    21 White (21.079344)
    25 Grey (25.2952128)
    6 Dud drops (6.3238032)

Thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

A uniform droprate is obviously needed. The whole high drop rate, then nerf cycle is getting pretty redundant.

The percentages seem a little low though. 7 pinks on average after getting 100 boss kills? I understand that they are supposed to be rare, but the devs are trying to cater to the "casual" and "hardcore". And this seems more "hardcore" then anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

I think 7% is too high, but I know not everyone agrees. I think pinks should be difficult to get. If there were few bosses and they were all super crazy hard then yeah it should be higher. Currently there are tons of bosses, and I think 5% at most personally, and even then I would hope they find something to please the hardcore players like super rare items (even if the stats were identical to more common ones but they looked cool).
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    I think 7% is too high, but I know not everyone agrees. I think pinks should be difficult to get. If there were few bosses and they were all super crazy hard then yeah it should be higher. Currently there are tons of bosses, and I think 5% at most personally, and even then I would hope they find something to please the hardcore players like super rare items (even if the stats were identical to more common ones but they looked cool).
    5% is good for hardcore players. But again, the devs want to cater to both sides, so that's always going to be an issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so lets try to agree on some common ground, at rough guess the AO campaign has about 15-17 bosses played from start to finish (that could be wrong, let me know if it is) and with this drop rate you'd be pretty much guaranteed one pink per playthrough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

patati, ptah poothey, bastet, ohak fei, sobek, seth, anubis - 7 in total. Unless I missed someone. Names may be altered.

I wouldn't mind killing a boss several times just to be certain that I will get a pink.
    MEMBER OF THE LEGENDS CLAN

DO CHECKOUT MY SALE THREAD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

some bosses appear in more than one level, bare that in mind

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would have to double check then, That was my first run from start to finish :P
    MEMBER OF THE LEGENDS CLAN

DO CHECKOUT MY SALE THREAD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whatever changes come about, I think that this is higher and more consistent that whatever is currently there, no idea how it's presently calculated, but i've never seen a pink from a low dungeon, the swamps seemed to be alright, skeller i think just ruins the concept of legendary rare loot, and AO is now almost as bad as the early campaigns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I also agree and support something like this! I'm getting tired from drop rates being altered so much...it leads to so many problems.

If there's going to be a drop rate, let it be permanent please. FOREVER!!!

I don't want to farm for week straight to get 1 pink with a low drop rate, and then find out a day later drop rates are increased resulting in pinks dropping everywhere.
    Some peoples hard work becomes so screwed like this, especially when a super valuable pink becomes almost worthless.
    Arcane Legends: Hyun

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[QUOTEI think 7% is too high, but I know not everyone agrees. I think pinks should be difficult to get. If there were few bosses and they were all super crazy hard then yeah it should be higher. Currently there are tons of bosses, and I think 5% at most personally, and even then I would hope they find something to please the hardcore players like super rare items (even if the stats were identical to more common ones but they looked cool). ][/QUOTE]

Uhhhhh sorry i dont agree wit this.... I like the idea of 1 pink per round. at least. this is for like a run of sandstorm
    Renumoth damage pot spamming, 91 dodge, sexy shiv bear
    Tjornan super ultra pink carrying, rich pally Mokugoja Pretty lame twink really
    Phoenix Guild. Rising From the Ashes
    "Im here to kick butt and drink milk. and i just finished my milk...." - ME

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tjornan View Post
    [QUOTEI think 7% is too high, but I know not everyone agrees. I think pinks should be difficult to get. If there were few bosses and they were all super crazy hard then yeah it should be higher. Currently there are tons of bosses, and I think 5% at most personally, and even then I would hope they find something to please the hardcore players like super rare items (even if the stats were identical to more common ones but they looked cool). ]
    Uhhhhh sorry i dont agree wit this.... I like the idea of 1 pink per round. at least. this is for like a run of sandstorm
    Are u kidding me? 5% on pinks sounds great, if you think this is hardcore than stick with purples, they are the casual choice and not much different than pinks. I mean come on, people that play alot need to be rewarded, (like pinks). You spend time on farming you get pinks, and if you just spend an hour a week than you get the cheaper stuff or buy the pinks. Look at it this way, if you get one pink per round like it was in AO before the update, you have a guy that plays 10 hours a week and has a pink set within the week, and you have a guy that plays 1 hour a week and has a pink set within the week, that's just plain unfair on the guy that puts in the time to be the best he can be, if the guy that doesn't put in the time can be as good as he is. There is no balance.
    Look at this, when AO came out there were about 900 people playing, and with pinks dropping galore people got what they wanted, and within the week it was down to 500 because they lost interest in playing. Now if they didn't get all the pinks right of way they still would be playing. More people means more maps open to join, better sales, more fun

So keep the drop rates low!!!!
    IAMBIRDMAN LVL50 SNIPER
    IAMTHEBEAR LVL45 TANK
    IAMABOOMSTICK LV45 NUKER/HEALER
    I put reality into words.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm.. actually I think Pink should be 3% or even less It should be very very rare rather than eh common..
    [On a Break... Waiting for the next big update...]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It might be around 3% now so don't speak too soon :-p

As far as I'm concerned, playing through the whole AO campaign once, you should get one pink per person 90% of the time.

Don't forget it's not just about getting a pink, but getting the one you want as well, and some of the current ao pinks are junk anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

is it unreasonable to think a boss should never drop grey or white? it seems like that is just insulting. grey/white is for trash mobs, not bosses. not even the most casual of players uses grey, white or even orange gear after level 30 - or am i wrong? do whatever you want with pink/purple drop rates, but after a boss fight, it would be nice to have at least a second or two of debate before liquidating an item... especially since it is often the only drop i will get from running through a level.

that said, if you want to let boss mobs drop trash, what about adding the possibility that a trash mob might drop a pink? instead of having a 5% or 10% chance of a boss dropping a pink, how about saying there is exactly one pink in this zone. 50% of the time it will drop from one of the boss mobs. the other 50% of the time it drops from some random mob. farmers will be happy because they will still come out ahead by focusing on bosses. casual players will be happy because, on average, one run through the campaign will yield one pink. it might not be much, but at least you know there will be something in there *some*where.

thoughts? or is this approach too simplistic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too inflexible I think Krozon, I get what you mean though.

I don't mean 1 pink per campaign, I mean one pink per person per campaign 90%+ of the time, if only one person got a pink per campaign, while that's still higher than the current droprate, it's horrific to actually do, think how long a campaign playthrough takes, then consider you'd have to run 5 campaigns to get 1 pink, and there's no guarantee it'll be a good one, let alone one you want.

Because all pinks can drop from all bosses (in each campaign seperately of course) the chance of you getting the item you want then becomes even smaller (pink droprate/number of items=chance of getting your item)
    So saying there were 30 items in a campaign, and you wanted a set, 4 of those items, with the current loot rate (lets just say its 2%) the chance of you getting one of the items you want is (2/30)*4=0.26

That's a 0.26% chance per bosskill I'll ever get a drop of an item I want, I'd need to kill 385 bosses to assure getting at least 1 of the items I need, and a massive 1539 bosses to guarantee getting my whole set.
    That is not my idea of fun

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To be honest there really is no way for you to be a "hardcore" player in this game, unless you define hardcore by playing a few more hours a day then everyone else. We all have the same gear cause pinks are still way to easy to get and bosses are way to easy to kill. Pinks are not truly "legendary" because eventually your gonna have them all and if you can't get the drop pay someone 5k for that Thoth piece ur missing. I know the drop just changed bit not b4 I fully outfitted both my toons with three full gear sets. And we can't change the drop rate cause then the "casual" player gets upset cause they can't get there pretty pink hat. However I am hopeful that eventually the elite dungeon will come out and either have truly legendary gear that takes weeks to get or has thing like titles wich would be WAY better than gear cause they stay with while you change gear. Anyway just a thought you can change the dropnrate all u want and I still don't think it will really matter all that much, until the new content comes out the separation between casual and hardcore will only be hours played you'll both still be pinked out. (not accounting skill of the player here just earned trophies)
    Last edited by Izbar; 06-27-2010 at 02:13 AM.

Izbar-Fnord 45 Enchantress BOO YAH!!!
    Izbart 45 Archer TWEET FREAKING TWEET!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

FYI Krozon trash mobs do drop pinks (at least in some campaigns, and I believe all). It just doesn't happen often
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bmc85uk View Post
    Too inflexible I think Krozon, I get what you mean though.

I don't mean 1 pink per campaign, I mean one pink per person per campaign 90%+ of the time, if only one person got a pink per campaign, while that's still higher than the current droprate, it's horrific to actually do, think how long a campaign playthrough takes, then consider you'd have to run 5 campaigns to get 1 pink, and there's no guarantee it'll be a good one, let alone one you want.

Because all pinks can drop from all bosses (in each campaign seperately of course) the chance of you getting the item you want then becomes even smaller (pink droprate/number of items=chance of getting your item)
    So saying there were 30 items in a campaign, and you wanted a set, 4 of those items, with the current loot rate (lets just say its 2%) the chance of you getting one of the items you want is (2/30)*4=0.26

That's a 0.26% chance per bosskill I'll ever get a drop of an item I want, I'd need to kill 385 bosses to assure getting at least 1 of the items I need, and a massive 1539 bosses to guarantee getting my whole set.
    That is not my idea of fun
    This would be a bigger issue if when an item dropped it was yours and all yo could do was sell it but let's not forget that ANY item you get can be traded!!! Sonlets say you do gt a pink you don't want just find the guy that does and either sell it (wich should be easy if the drop rate is rally low because he's not gonna have it) or tade it (which should again be easy because the guy that has ur item that doesn't need it and wants the itm you have will jump at the chance to get it) Oh and let's not forget th Auction house will be out soon and now all those pinks that are I everyones stash will now be available. So yeah just my thoughts.

Izbar-Fnord 45 Enchantress BOO YAH!!!
    Izbart 45 Archer TWEET FREAKING TWEET!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All true, I still think there should be a uniform rate along these lines though - stabiliise the economy, an incentive for higher players to go back and farm dungeons, not too high it becomes boring, but not so low that nobody bothers trying.

Leave the real hardcore loot for the hardcore dungeons whenever they come out.