Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: User Interface Feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

I am very sad that my comments on the location of the quick chat button are being ignored. Is it not said politely enough?

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by pastrychef View Post
    I appreciate the attempt to improve viewing area, however some of the changes have sacrificed functionality. Please consider the following for future updates.

2. Hiding emotes makes their use difficult. For example, if I want to laugh at a joke, by the time I actually get to press the lol button, the conversation has already shifted to something entirely different.
    3. The enlarged menu button on the upper left has caused the names of the players on the team to be pushed lower. On an iPad, these names are directly above the virtual joystick. When there is virtual joystick skip, we often end up pressing the fifth player's name and going in to the screen that displays his/her stats. Either the joystick needs to be moved lower or the names need to be moved.

* This post is copied from Sam's thread in General Discussions

I'm totally with u bro, virtual joystic is very annoying on iPad. I like the way android tablets have theirs, lower corner of the screen with nothing to interfere.

JulsAngel - Archer lvl 56 Customized Crown and Armor w/ Sewer King's Bow
    JulsDemon - Enchantress lvl 32 Full Onyx Set

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I would like to see the joystick moved down on the screen ( IPAD user) for a couple of reasons:
    1. When you have a full team the the joystick is very close to the name of that last person on the list and i accidently pull up (click on) that person during play.
    2. Also as a mage who wants to keep track of the health of her team when my finger is on the joystick it obstructs my vision of my team members health. Sometimes I do not realize someone needs a revive and we need all alive!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I have one comment.. The Quest box should not be near the joystick. I keep accidentally hitting it when I'm playing and I get sent to a quest level instead of the one I was in -____-' that is not enjoyable. Everything else i'm enjoying. Also are you making quests for crafting in Nuri's? I would love to be able to make the wand and etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I'm using an iPad.
    With emotes they are two clicks away but when u click an emote the menu disappears, I think that the emotes should go back to how it was like before as it was easier to access. I do like what you have done with the text and how it's possible to scroll through more dialogue/drops good work

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Take the quest box off screen or move it I'm on htc evo and its rite on top of joystick

Thundarr lvl 15 warrior
    Midas lvl 12 sorcerer
    Guinevere lvl 12 rogue

NorthEast Ohio on the #1 Trout River next to Lake Erie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quest box.... It has to go some where else. I hit it all the time. Thank You!

motorola milestone
    motorola x
    """""""""There's a sucker born every minute" P. T. Barnum"""""""""

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" and Droid X2

1.) Hp+Mana bars should be full and longer like they were previously. Currently they have this little black line under them which just looks bad. Secondly I pvp a lot and it's currently difficult to tell how much HP/Mana I have.

2.) Emotes - I'm assuming you plan on making new emotes and the reason behind moving them to a sub menu is to allow for us to use them without taking up our entire screen. How about you make a emote map similar to the skill map and allow use to customize it with the emote we want to use. You could still sell them as packs but we could put the ones we use often on an emote map.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Asus Eee Pad Transformer; The soft joystick shows over te exit level button on lower left corner...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Default Petition to return to the older interface

To begin with, what purpose does an interface serve? A good interface is one where people can access the most important functions easily. The problem is that people need to be able to access everything very quickly, especially in Nuri PvE and PvP, where split second delays = death. This interface is significantly slower and less efficient in doing that.

After playing with it in depth, I would argue that the old interface was VASTLY superior.

There were no major flaws, except two:

1. Easy to flip the skill button to hide 8 skills by mistake. Note that the new interface does not fix this flaw in that the "chat" and "friend request" messages have replaced it.

2. Easy to hide/unhide mini map. I want my minimap shown almost always, and I often accidentally pressed this. This is quite possibly the only thing I found fixed in this new UI.

Given that we are discussing a UI For a 3.5 - 5.0 inch phone, it feels like the best possible interface under the circumstances. The only recommendations if it were brought back would be an option to make the "hide skills" and "hide minimap" buttons go away outside of town and in the menu. Tablet UI can be different.

While I know that this is not true, when I use this interface, I get the overwhelming feeling that somebody haphazardly put it together without thinking about the functions of the buttons

1. Emotes now take 2 taps. Previously, the emote button was right above the joy-pad, where the left thumb rested and could easily be pressed for quick access. Since the update, emotes usage has dropped by as much as 95%.

2. The chat system is poorly thought out. Because a person's thumbs rest near the bottom of a screen, accessing the chat is very difficult. The "bar" to press to char is very thin and hard to access. I often miss it or press the button to extend the chat bar down, which I don't want to do. It makes it difficult to talk to people quickly (very important in CTF games) and to have long conversations (a problem which affects everyone).

3. Accessing the "preset" messages is very hard because the button is so small. The placement amplifies the problem of making it difficult to access because there is a good chance that you will accidentally press the chat button.

4. The hp and mana bars are too small, which gives a less accurate indication of a person's health.

5. The quest box is not needed - being placed directly above the directional joy-pad. In most cases, people don't want to worry about quests. It has the potential to be fatal if someone is trying to kite a boss or a player in PvP and they accidentally press it. Because I am completing the 2 kill 1,000 quests for Frozen Nightmares, the quest box is a perpetual distraction. I am tempted to abandon these quests just to make it go away. I think that the menu system and a notification when someone got closer to the quest goal was sufficient. The quest box is redundant and in my opinion should be removed or at least given an option to permanently hide it.

6. The placing of the notification bar which contains friend requests and chat button is lethal sometimes. It is easy to press it by mistake when accessing skills. People are always spamming friend requests and often sending chat. I have died several times in PvP when pressing it by accident. I think that there needs to be an option to hide it. To be honest, I think that the notification bar may be somewhat obsolete considering that it overlaps with the chat, which is why I feel that it should be in the menu rather than shown. If I wish to have a conversation, a dungeon or PvP arena is not the place to be anyways. Perhaps the old way of hiding the skill pages is a better option, with a way to hide that.

7. I don't know if any changes were made to it, but ever since the UI was updated, the "auto" button seems somewhat less responsive. I don't know why.

What is particularly noteworthy is that none of these problems are likely to go away once people get "used" to the interface. It will always be less efficient this way. Because pretty much everything except skills takes longer to access, this interface fails to offer that.

In conclusion, the reason why I am making a petition to return to the older interface is because I don't think that a superior interface is possible given the small sizes of a phone screen. Please see my first section for what suggestions I have for the older screen.

I am currently debating with myself whether or not to make a thread with pictures.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 09-25-2011 at 01:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

Im 75% happy. I do like the clutter free appearance on my iPad.

What I dislike:
    Emotes on the main screen
    Chat a little awkward to use
    Quest button is in an odd place

What I like:
    Plat being removed from the bottom
    Potions only showing in dungeons
    Notifications on main screen
    Help button removed from main screen
    Border around the bottom removed
    Consolidation of menu buttons to one screen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Now that I have had some time to get used to the layout. Here are my obsevations.

Using an ipod touch gen 3.

1. Spell book too close to health pot. Spamming health in battle sometimes critical. Hiding skills in battle on accident can be deadly. Maybe move to the left 1-2mm should solve.

2. Quest Box. Adds clutter to screen. Adds reduntant info. Too close to virtual joystick. Move up 1-2mm or make available to disable/hide in options menu.
    YYZBird-115, YYZBear-115, YYZMage-115

13. The Following User Says Thank You to YYZ???? For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I played for the first time with new UI on PL last night for over an hour and other than getting used to it, I found it works just fine and I can see more of my surroundings! HTC Evo 4G!

I was prepared to hate it, we all hate change, but I was pleasantly surprised, thanks Devs, keep doing what you do so well!!
    Last edited by Sassinya; 09-25-2011 at 11:39 AM.
    -- Act and you will have dinner, do nothing and you will BE dinner - Gowron, Klingon High Council--

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YYZ???? View Post
    Now that I have had some time to get used to the layout. Here are my obsevations.

Using an ipod touch gen 3.

1. Spell book too close to health pot. Spamming health in battle sometimes critical. Hiding skills in battle on accident can be deadly. Maybe move to the left 1-2mm should solve.

2. Quest Box. Adds clutter to screen. Adds reduntant info. Too close to virtual joystick. Move up 1-2mm or make available to disable/hide in options menu.
    Amen. I have died several times trying to either hit a health pot and hide my skills instead, or trying to move and open the overrated-in-its-supposed-usefulness quest checkbox.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    Amen. I have died several times trying to either hit a health pot and hide my skills instead, or trying to move and open the overrated-in-its-supposed-usefulness quest checkbox.
    I suppose this would be an issue for 3.5" screens. On a 4", the spell book is a bit further away. I think spell book should be hidden and the potions moved back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

A nice, clear "confirm trade" button would be nice on the trading screen. Was this changed? I don't remember, but lately it seems some people can't figure out how to trade, and even I needed to stop for a second to figure out what to hit (that little check mark box is easy to miss). I don't remember ever having any issue before. It could be that I've just been playing a lot of SL lately, and in SL there's a confirm trade button.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Hey Sam, I posted this in another thread and just wanted to make sure you saw it:
    Hey devs, a few things-
    I don't know if you've played the new ui on an ipod or not but a lot of times when I got to hit a health pot I accidentally hit the bottom that hides most of my skills. It would be a lot better if you moved that button somewhere else. It may work fine on an ipad with a bigger screen but it just doesn't work on the ipod.

Also, I would really like you to consider moving the emote button back to the main screen. I'd put it back where it was and move the quest box to where the emote is now. I like using the emotes mid fight and you can't really do that the way it is now. The quest thing is nice because you can just click it to join or turn in a quest but we already have a button for that and I don't think it will be used near as much as the emote.

I like how the notification lets noobs know they have skill and attribute points to spend. I'm leveling up a new toon for myself and have had to explain to several people that they get skill and attribute points each level and how to use them.

I also like how the notification box keeps track of your convos better than it did before. No more getting lost when the spammers keep spamming. Haha.

I agree with stomp that long term the persistence items should be rotated. Giving a bonus to people who happened to discover the game before others isn't really fair.

The biggest issue for me is having the pot button so close to the collapse skill button. I've died mutiple times because I was potting and collapsed my skills.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

It's funny because I was just saying to myself, for such a great game that is always being updated, this interface can surely use a makeover. And voila! I get an update that totally free's up all my screen space and just declutters the whole thing. I had already been so used to where everything was in the old interface but I love change like this. So no worries. I will figure everything out again and get comfortable with the new setup.

Thanks so much for the update! I really love it.

2 Things bug me so far, however.

The chat down arrow is covered up by one of my skill buttons. This issue is being discussed in another thread.

That quest button right above the joystick is a bit too close. I keep accidentally hitting it. I like the quest button though, it really helps me. If you could move it up a bit, I think it will be ok.
    PL - Navygreen
    AL - Viicks (me), Littlesis (my sis)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Wrong game, looking for alternate feedback thread now. My bad.

21.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #80
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Thanks everyone for the awesome feedback!

Just a quick note that the team has been digging through your feedback to address issues with the User Interface and we really appreciate the detailed, well thought out input you all have provided.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Samhayne For This Useful Post: