Thread: PLeague Revised?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Default PLeague Revised?

Since the idea of PLeague started by Moth is starting to catch some attention, I'd like to give my two cents on this. It's essentially a good idea but in my opinion, it lacks some planning. Moth created the tournament structure based off of a football league if I'm not mistaken, but in reality we have to see how feasible this idea really is.

First of all, PL has a significantly small player base right now and I don't think that that's going to change. Out of that small player base, there would only be a part of the community that would be interested. And out of those, only a fraction would find teams to participate. And then out of those remaining players, only a few would be able to invest so much time and money into a game. Well you can see where I am going with this... The point is that there would be far too few players in the first place to think about a "championship".

Secondly most of the 'bans' are pretty demotivating. There shouldn't be any bans whatsoever on gear, attributes and classes. The point of having a league is to create the best combination of classes, gear and tactics to win as a team, not so that all teams turn out to be practically the same. If that is the case then it all comes down to luck.

The whole set up of having a team and PvPing against each other can be simplified because luckily, PL already has a system for teaming up, and that is guilds! I suggest that separate leagues be created at certain level ranges and the teams be guilds. That way there can be substitute players as well. Since most guilds either cover a large range of levels or pertain to a specialized PvP level, I think that this would work.

Note: This is not to dismiss Moth's work. I actually appreciate that he took the time to make something like that. In fact I hope that if others agree with me as well, that Moth makes a revised version of his PLeague.

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Along the note of what you mentioned about banning gear – I think the exact reason Moth is banning certain equipment is because that very reason of not banning it might repel even more players away from joining. Some items, like Warat/Magor/Arzac are extremely hard to attain and nonetheless expensive. I would rather see more players join and have a more equal fighting ground than to see those with the best gear drive others away because they feel that winning is too difficult without the necessary gear.

Besides, let's say everyone has the same gear. I guarantee that it would not come down to luck. On the contrary, I think it would shed some light on those who can play most effectively as a team. It doesn't seem logical to make the claim that same gear = all luck.
    Last edited by XghostzX; 10-24-2016 at 05:41 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to XghostzX For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bazinga! View Post
    Since the idea of PLeague started by Moth is starting to catch some attention, I'd like to give my two cents on this. It's essentially a good idea but in my opinion, it lacks some planning. Moth created the tournament structure based off of a football league if I'm not mistaken, but in reality we have to see how feasible this idea really is.

First of all, PL has a significantly small player base right now and I don't think that that's going to change. Out of that small player base, there would only be a part of the community that would be interested. And out of those, only a fraction would find teams to participate. And then out of those remaining players, only a few would be able to invest so much time and money into a game. Well you can see where I am going with this... The point is that there would be far too few players in the first place to think about a "championship".

Secondly most of the 'bans' are pretty demotivating. There shouldn't be any bans whatsoever on gear, attributes and classes. The point of having a league is to create the best combination of classes, gear and tactics to win as a team, not so that all teams turn out to be practically the same. If that is the case then it all comes down to luck.

The whole set up of having a team and PvPing against each other can be simplified because luckily, PL already has a system for teaming up, and that is guilds! I suggest that separate leagues be created at certain level ranges and the teams be guilds. That way there can be substitute players as well. Since most guilds either cover a large range of levels or pertain to a specialized PvP level, I think that this would work.

Note: This is not to dismiss Moth's work. I actually appreciate that he took the time to make something like that. In fact I hope that if others agree with me as well, that Moth makes a revised version of his PLeague.
    I'll try to address this the best I can. Will already explained some of it pretty well.

I truly don't believe there isn't enough players to have a league. Out of the guild I'm in (FFA) about 4-5 teams are already formed/being formed. That leaves only 3 spots to run a successful league with the minimum amount of entrants. However there is no way to be sure, I will just have to see what happens. Regardless, I want to make the league whether or not there is enough teams. At least people know it's an option.

Im surprised you think the bans are demotivating. A large portion of the community, in terms of what I have personally heard myself from players, believe that the game has serious balancing issues relative to pvp gameplay. By taking out unfair gear and various advantages from the get go, people will be more inclined to sign up for a competition that caters to everyone. Most of the bans I have set in place permanently are only on gear that is not accessible by the whole community (such as black dragon, founder, etc.). This also allows me to target account buyers and restrict them from gaining an advantage by simply paying for an account. And as Will stated, a competition will only be fair if all of the conditions are equal for every team. By stripping the game down to its barebones, the only aspect that matters is personal skill and pvp knowledge, which is the way it's supposed to be. You're right, this is nothing like what we are used to, and that's kind of the point.

The whole guild thing is a grey area for me, and a lot of the disagreement arose from this portion of the rules. As of now, I will not be enforcing any type of requirement on isolating your team from the rest of the community. I really wanted to do this because it solves the problem you bring up of using substitutes as well as allowing players to be dropped/traded/moved from team to team. However a lot of my guild mates and even Seo pointed out that it's an unrealistic idea and wouldn't fit well with the league.

And there is no chance that I will run this across multiple levels. As of now I am the only person that is going to moderate the league. Seo has stated that he does not have the time to dedicate the attention that the league requires to be overseen. It's not only hard, but it's a headache and confusing for me to know what is going on at every level at all times.

I appreciate the comment, I hope this explains some of my reasoning behind the rules I made. If you have any further concerns feel free to ask.
    Last edited by Mothwing; 10-24-2016 at 03:32 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mothwing For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    147 Posts

yea well RIP in Peace PLeague

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts

Mke the prize pool a founders helm (:
    nothing lasts forever

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Not sure why Humiii thinks it's dead now.

This just makes it easier for me to get prizes lmfao.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mothwing View Post
    Not sure why Humiii thinks it's dead now.

This just makes it easier for me to get prizes lmfao.
    Thats actually so funny? Had me
    laughing. Gl if this does take off : )
    nothing lasts forever

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts

@Moth
    Boiiiii where tf have you been I haven't seen you or Mason for like god knows how long, all alone at 61 ;-;
    BestChuck Inflated, Vonc Overrated, Flashx Outdated, TSM Eliminated!
    Woooo Gabevizzle 😜💙

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Groaning For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Groaning View Post
    @Moth
    Boiiiii where tf have you been I haven't seen you or Mason for like god knows how long, all alone at 61 ;-;
    Lol most people went end game. Idk where Mason is, I haven't seen him in a while.

Check ur inbox tho I'll fill u in homie.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mothwing For This Useful Post: