Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attack Commando Guide.

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

I only have one word: traitor!!

Seriously.... what are you doing?? You're a bear!!

For realz, this is an excellent guide. Very well thought out and organized. I will have to read through it a few more times before I can add any real substance to the discussion.

Good job, bro!
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Commando was the closest I could get to a bear in SL

I was tempted, very tempted to start out as an Op, though

Thanks, as always! You how to get to me anyway if you have something in mind

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

I do! Once this pvp tourney is over I can think a little more clearly.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

No worries, I'm always here. Good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Awesome guide! My AoE Commando utilizes GWell to keep everything clumped at all times, using Nebula w/ the crit enhancing skill while NStomp keeps anything from scurrying away until GWell is charged again. I also try to take advantage of the brief damage bonus from our +m/s skill, but it's tough to time. Also, I take so much damage because no shield/dodge/armor boost that without and engineer, life sucks. I think I will take some ideas from your AoE build and respec my Commando.

Thank you so much for posting this guide!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vladrac View Post
    Awesome guide! My AoE Commando utilizes GWell to keep everything clumped at all times, using Nebula w/ the crit enhancing skill while NStomp keeps anything from scurrying away until GWell is charged again. I also try to take advantage of the brief damage bonus from our +m/s skill, but it's tough to time. Also, I take so much damage because no shield/dodge/armor boost that without and engineer, life sucks. I think I will take some ideas from your AoE build and respec my Commando.

Thank you so much for posting this guide!
    Nebula is definitely good, I just wish there was more usefulness towards it though. It's very short term, IMO, hence only being used for the boss-type attack commando.

I agree, the bonus damage from Kinetic is extremely hard to time, +35 for 2 seconds no? I don't really like it because of the damage debuff as well, I think it does a debuff of -10 damage for 3 seconds, so -30 damage but gain only +35 damage so a total of 5 damage gain overall. Too low to consider as a significant reason on getting the skill, IMO.

And you're welcome

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Awesome guide! For me, AoE is the way to go. I just love running ahead of the group, into a crowd and throwing around clumps of mobs with GW and Singularity. It just looks cool and very commando-like.
    Last edited by Eriksyn; 09-28-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Eriksyn - LVL 36 COM | Ericthemedic - LVL 36 ENG
    Officer of Vengeance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    I agree, the bonus damage from Kinetic is extremely hard to time, +35 for 2 seconds no? I don't really like it because of the damage debuff as well, I think it does a debuff of -10 damage for 3 seconds, so -30 damage but gain only +35 damage so a total of 5 damage gain overall. Too low to consider as a significant reason on getting the skill, IMO.
    Kinetic Reservoir gives you -10 damage for the duration of the M/s buff: 5 seconds. And then as you said, for the subsequent 2 seconds, you are buffed +35 damage (at rank 6).

With your auto-attack you pretty much break even with your damage output, but the skill timing is extremely hard, also taking into account you'll be strategically timing your skills based on the locations of groups of enemies. Especially when spamming lots of skills at bosses, it takes your damage down a lot. That's why I dropped the skill. Now I focus on using important skills (AOE and crit buff only) except at a boss, and that'll help regulate your Power Pack usage without cutting down your effectiveness.
    Gandalf—Level 21 Arcane Legends Sorcerer
    Redeemed—Level 12 Sorcerer twink

Nighttrooper - Level 40 Commando [retired]
    Nightarcher - Level 60 Avian Archer [retired]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eriksyn View Post
    Awesome guide! For me, AoE is the way to go. I just love running ahead of the group, into a crowd and throwing around clumps of mobs with GW and Singularity. It just looks cool and very commando-like.
    Agree! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nightarcher View Post
    Kinetic Reservoir gives you -10 damage for the duration of the M/s buff: 5 seconds. And then as you said, for the subsequent 2 seconds, you are buffed +35 damage (at rank 6).

With your auto-attack you pretty much break even with your damage output, but the skill timing is extremely hard, also taking into account you'll be strategically timing your skills based on the locations of groups of enemies. Especially when spamming lots of skills at bosses, it takes your damage down a lot. That's why I dropped the skill. Now I focus on using important skills (AOE and crit buff only) except at a boss, and that'll help regulate your Power Pack usage without cutting down your effectiveness.
    Oops, my numbers way off. So -50 damage but +70, so a total of +20 damage gain. Not too bad if completely maximised, I guess

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Update on guide:

1. Changed the AOE Mob Combo, this one should be immensely more effective.

2. Changed the AOE Skill Map to fit the new combo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you happen to have a leveling breakdown of this build?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zyph View Post
    Do you happen to have a leveling breakdown of this build?
    Not a documented one, but I do know what the build should be. Let me study the skills a bit more so I can fully give a list for both builds. Thanks for pointing it out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Update:
    • Added photo link to Single-target Progressive Skill Leveling Build (AOE one here.)
    • Added photo link to AOE Progressive Skill Leveling Build. (Single-target one here.)
    • Both of these links are found by the Skill map/Skill menu links.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you very much!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi there. I am a new player and a level 20 commando. This question is going to see probably real basic.

I am trying to figure out weapons. As a commando what choices do I have and what are the trade offs? I notice that some weapons are Commando specific and others are generic level based. Plus we can go one handed or two handed? Correct? And I have never seen a shield drop. Is that a loot item?

I have been reaidng up at builds and ya'll have helped me a TON! Thanks....great community!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Manwolf View Post
    Hi there. I am a new player and a level 20 commando. This question is going to see probably real basic.

I am trying to figure out weapons. As a commando what choices do I have and what are the trade offs? I notice that some weapons are Commando specific and others are generic level based. Plus we can go one handed or two handed? Correct? And I have never seen a shield drop. Is that a loot item?

I have been reaidng up at builds and ya'll have helped me a TON! Thanks....great community!
    I'll try to add more detail towards the gear section.

Basically, Commandos have 4 weapon choices.

1. Heavy Weapon (class specific)
    2. Rifle
    3. Heavy Pistol
    4. Light Pistol

I personally have all 4, but don't really use them all the time.

The Heavy Weapon, as mentioned, is perfect for purely AOE damage. It has an AOE effect on normal attacks. It's 2h. Right now, I don't see a really compelling reason to use one.

The Rifle has the highest base damage in-game (Base Damage > DPS, any day). Higher base damage also means better skill damage. It's 2h.

A Heavy Pistol is a 1H, but is focused more on damage rather than a tanky 1H. Opposite for the Light Pistol, the light one has more tanky stats.

Shields are 1h, only usable with a 1H weapon. Yes they drop.