Thread: Commando skill 'Gravity Well' - bug or misperception?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Default Commando skill 'Gravity Well' - bug or misperception?

Thanks to Cabero for pointing it out:

Great guide! Just one question about Gravity Well. Every time I have used it the mobs always seems to pull to where I am standing a full 360 degs. So are you sure it's not from you not from the mob you use it on?
    The skill description is this:

My understanding from the skill description is this:

When in reality, it works like this:

So I'm not sure whether there's a typo in the skill description which intends to say that it pulls the mobs towards us (the user) or if it pulls towards the target (the bot).

This skill is similar to Singularity. Singularity skill description says that the damage is centered around the target (the bot), and it really is. The Singularity blast comes from the target and not from the Commando.

Does this mean that the way Gravity Well works is that it pulls enemies towards you, but only those enemies within range of the AOE on the target? eg, using it on a sole melee mob only pulls that melee mob towards you, while using it on a cluster of ranged mobs pulls those ranged mobs towards you.
    Last edited by Ellyidol; 09-28-2011 at 01:09 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellyidol For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol:429429
    Does this mean that the way Gravity Well works is that it pulls enemies towards you, but only those enemies within range of the AOE on the target?
    If it isn't a typo, this is the likely answer. Makes the most sense to me, anyway. I have definately seen gravity well pull directly towards the player, not the target.
    Proud Co-Leader of Infinite Union
    Infinite Union forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ebalere View Post
    If it isn't a typo, this is the likely answer. Makes the most sense to me, anyway. I have definately seen gravity well pull directly towards the player, not the target.
    I actually hope it's also a typo and not a bug on how it's supposed to work. I like it better this way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I definitely have to agree that it pulls to the player...... The whole style of tanking I use relies on it pulling to me, lol. It does seem weird though, like it only pulls mobs in certain range of your target to you, as opposed to beckon which pulls all mobs in a certain range of you to you.
    Skavengr - lvl56 dual spec tank/bow bear, Alameina - lvl56 full mega int mage, MegaDooomer - lvl56 full custom dex bird

Skavenger - commando, Skavengr - engineer, MegaDooomer - operative
    Quote Originally Posted by Morawk View Post
    Your Int is only 1. You should not even be able to form words in your mouth lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slush View Post
    They're noobs, what do you expect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skavenger216 View Post
    I definitely have to agree that it pulls to the player...... The whole style of tanking I use relies on it pulling to me, lol. It does seem weird though, like it only pulls mobs in certain range of your target to you, as opposed to beckon which pulls all mobs in a certain range of you to you.
    I see. I agree too, that this skill, unlike Beckon, really requires a target.

Seems we've agreed that the way Gravity Well works is:

Pull mobs towards you, but only the mobs within the AOE range (no defined range) of the target.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Good this means I'm not crazy and seeing things. lol
    Currently playing Acabero in PL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    I actually hope it's also a typo and not a bug on how it's supposed to work. I like it better this way.
    +1 I'm already used to gravity well working this way, similar to beckon in pl right? It would ruin commando's mob control imo and would be less effective
    than it is now. The dev's haven't done changes to skills and hopefully stays that way.

the way to change the world is by doing one act of kindness at a time, care to buy some cookies?

PL: Zaltiar Lvl66| SL: Hellcharger/Alibi Lvl 41Com|Zaltiar Lvl38 Op| Warbringer 38

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zaltiar View Post
    +1 I'm already used to gravity well working this way, similar to beckon in pl right? It would ruin commando's mob control imo and would be less effective
    than it is now. The dev's haven't done changes to skills and hopefully stays that way.
    Yup, understanding this skill seems like it works similar to Beckon in PL.

The only difference, IMO, is the use of it on a target and those around the target being pulled to you. Unlike Beckon where everywhere gets pulled to you

I actually like it now. Melee mobs are already next to you anyway, while this skill pulls only ranged mobs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

Also, for gravity well, I've found out that the mobs are pulled to the position when I hit the skill button.
    For example, I run to a wall, hit the skill button at the wall and walk to the opposite side, even though the skill is still "charging" since it takes about a second for the mobs to be pulled, they are still pulled to the wall where I used the skill, not to where I am exactly.
    This works well as I usually follow singularity right after to push them right back to the wall. (cause if anyones ever run with me, they know I like to keep running around lol)
    Can anyone else verify this?

edit: or actually it may not be "exactly" when I hit the skill button...but there is still a duration where the position they are pulled to is set.
    edit 2: (lol) tested it out on a few mobs, sorry if this post has gone off main topic lol.
    When using gravity well, there is a round purple "charging" sign on the commando, right when the purple charging sign goes away is where the targeted mob/mobs are pulled. That gives about 2 seconds where you are able to move around after
    Last edited by Zaltiar; 09-28-2011 at 02:43 AM.

the way to change the world is by doing one act of kindness at a time, care to buy some cookies?

PL: Zaltiar Lvl66| SL: Hellcharger/Alibi Lvl 41Com|Zaltiar Lvl38 Op| Warbringer 38

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Also, for gravity well, I've found out that the mobs are pulled to the position when I hit the skill button.
    For example, I run to a wall, hit the skill button at the wall and walk to the opposite side, even though the skill is still "charging" since it takes about a second for the mobs to be pulled, they are still pulled to the wall where I used the skill, not to where I am exactly.
    This works well as I usually follow singularity right after to push them right back to the wall. (cause if anyones ever run with me, they know I like to keep running around lol)
    Can anyone else verify this?
    +1, this gives me enough time to step back to do that Neutron Stomp/Singularity/AOE skill to the mobs pulled to the wall.

My true challenge is using the GW + Singularity right. Sometimes, the pull from GW + push of Sing scatters or keeps the mobs in place instead of clustering them, which I find annoying. However, more often than not, the push from Sing actually pushes the pulled mobs towards the walls more, which is good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Eh... didnt notice lol. Must have read between lines.

Actually, what would you prefer guys?
    That they correct the txt or correct the skill to do what txt says?

Skill pulling to target mob. That could help also. Saving health if u cant tank anymore and in need of heal. Or even in pvp putting all opponents at high range weapon/skills.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kakatoa91 View Post
    Eh... didnt notice lol. Must have read between lines.

Actually, what would you prefer guys?
    That they correct the txt or correct the skill to do what txt says?

Skill pulling to target mob. That could help also. Saving health if u cant tank anymore and in need of heal. Or even in pvp putting all opponents at high range weapon/skills.
    I'd prefer just to correct the typo. I like the way it works now.

I can see your point, when bringing in PvP, that pulling the people around the target towards the target would make it good for AOE, but that means that the target you used it on will not be affected whatsoever (just damage). So when it comes to 1v1, this skill will do nothing to your opponent other than damage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

I'd prefer just to correct the typo. I like the way it works now.

I can see your point, when bringing in PvP, that pulling the people around the target towards the target would make it good for AOE, but that means that the target you used it on will not be affected whatsoever (just damage). So when it comes to 1v1, this skill will do nothing to your opponent other than damage.
    hmm...commandos would be crazy in pvp then xD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

hmm...commandos would be crazy in pvp then xD
    Now? I think I don't know yet

But if the skill was made to do what the skill description says? Yeah, I think so. Imagine GW on a 5v5 map, making the opposing team all clumped up into one, knocked down, AOE'd to smithereens by the team

So just theoretically, I think it's more fair the way it is now. The skill description is just misleading.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

Now? I think I don't know yet

But if the skill was made to do what the skill description says? Yeah, I think so. Imagine GW on a 5v5 map, making the opposing team all clumped up into one, knocked down, AOE'd to smithereens by the team

So just theoretically, I think it's more fair the way it is now. The skill description is just misleading.
    lol yeah, thats what i meant, clump everyone up and. boom. bye bye.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Also like to confirm this, I find when using Gravity Well skill it does exactly what others have stated (Not to the mass effect of PL) it brings a certain amount of enemies with the radius of the skill.

Use this skill to its full advantages by pressing skill moving the other way and then blasing them at the wall to help control (My main use previously when controlling Vular in Numa) esp when against bosses, mini-boses or just when a large amount of enemies build up.

To change the skill, would cause alot of confusion and upset throughout the Comm Class.

Which I doubt is the case, and is a typo, nice find Cabero and Elly
    Last edited by BodMaster; 09-28-2011 at 05:16 AM. Reason: typoo

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

All credits to Cabero, would have not fully noticed it if he didn't bring it up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Thanks for the info guys, I agree with how ya'll say it works and hope they correct the description. Also, anybody else use Slam right before well to slow targets so 1, they don't escape initial well pull and 2. once pulled they don't escape before using singularity? I find using slam before really makes crowd control even better. Lastly, right after singularity I use stomp, anybody else?