Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pay It Forward Guild - A Side Project.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Default Pay It Forward Guild - A Side Project.

Pay It Forward!

I had this idea last night after reading a few threads concerning a longing for the old Beta days, and just reading general complaints about begging, immaturity, and noobyness in general. This is a side project, I am still very much involved in Knights of Cydonia and will still be very dedicated to my family of Knights.

Our Mission:

To have a moderately sized group of helpful, knowledgable, and experienced players xp locked at lower levels to better help new players learn the ropes. The reason I choose xp locked members only is because I didn't make this guild to boost unexperienced players to lv.30. I made it so people like myself can teach these newer members the ins and outs of Star Legends, while still only being a helpful contribution to a team, and not be completely overpowering. This will allow the newer player a chance to learn their skills and combos and the basics of their class, while still having the guidance and knowledge of a seasoned veteran at their disposal.

How We Work

I ask that everyone who wants to join this guild come prepared with their own equips, stims, etc. This is a non-profit organization. There will be no fancy guildhall, there will be no guild stash, we won't have any officers (Unless I believe the person will follow the strict recruiting guidelines I will be following.), and we will all have a good basic knowledge of the game and experience necessary to help with anything a new player might need to know. This guild will be a big brother, an information desk, and friendly assistance whenever you see one of us standing in Blackstar.

We will be EXP locked at level 15, to encourage the new players we are helping to do their part, and not just do all the hard work for them. Also, we are here to help newer players, so we will be helping lv.15's and under in Cycorp dungeons and below. We all know boosting isn't helping anyone, and I'm hoping that we can teach people the game and basic rules and info, and when finished, encourage them that they Pay It Forward and help their fellow gamer the way we helped them. Hopefully this leads to a more helpful and skilled community in general.

Our Other Agendas

In the midst of helping newer players learn the ropes, I also ask that all members do their best to extinguish any flames or trolling in towne instances, report vulgar language, foul names, and obscene behaviour. If you see a beggar, offer to do some runs with them, and teach them how to earn it themselves. Besides that, just generally keep Blackstar a happy healthy environment for everyone to enjoy. Pay It Forward is here to help in any way possible to make this an enjoyable experience for everyone, and improve the experience for veterans and newbies alike.

We can also use Pay It Forward to do giveaways and gear handouts to the less fortunate players in need of good equips. I encourage members of all guilds to donate your unwanted level 15 and under good gear for this cause. I also ask that all guild members offer up their drops to the people they are running with, as stated before, this is for people that have already accomplished their own personal goals in SL, and are well off enough that they don't need the gear they will be dropping.

How I Recruit / Rules

- As stated above, you must have an EXP locked character at level 15.

- This character must be purpose built, with a name that pertains to being a helpful person, i.e. Helpinghand, Infobooth, Assistance, etc.. this means a new character slot must be available. You may join prior to hitting 15, but *MUST* xp lock at 15 or I will have to remove you.

- I deem Engis the most useful in this guild as they are more of a support class, and this is a support guild. Keeping the newer players safe as you teach them the ins and outs of this wonderful MMO is key. Other classes will be welcome as well, just throwing it out there. Remember, we want these people to still fight for themselves.

- You must be a benefit to the community. I don't want a bunch of people joining because they think it makes them look good, I want people who genuinely feel good about helping new players, and enjoy doing so.

- I ask that all potential recruits have a high level main, and be highly knowledgable of at least one class in SL. I also ask that you don't use enhancers except for luck and armor, as they don't speed up runs. Remember, we're not boosters.

- This guild will not be a huge guild and our primary focus is helping people new to Star Legends, so things such as promotions, inviting friends, and usual guild associated issues will be null.

- I ask that you have stims and proper gear on hand and represent the guild well, as there is no point in being here if you can't do your job.

- There will be absolutely NO tolerance to fighting, arguing, trolling, flaming, guild bashing, elitism, or any sort of drama within the guild.

- As this is a side project, I would hope everyone still fulfills their duties in their main guilds. That being said, checking in as often as possible is a plus.

- After helping a new player get started and doing a few runs, showing them the ropes, encourage them to help new people as they learn too. Keeping the guild name meaningful is important. Encouraging a helpful playstyle also inadvertently teaches players to work for themselves, and generally improves their attitude when they play, leading to less aggressive and rude people in general.

Member List

Main Character/PIF Character - Rank, Class

Ebalere/Information - Guildmaster, Engineer
    Cappinclutch/cappinkiosk - Officer, Commando
    Eyeofnewt/Eyesupport - Officer, Engineer
    Thequickone/Helpdesk - Officer, Engineer
    Bodmaster/Bodhelps - Officer, Engineer
    Vampire/Emergency - Member, Engineer
    Matutd/Infoguy - Member, Operative
    Zraoizer/thehelper - Member, Operative
    Rodvik/Fouroneone - Member, Engineer
    Dracula/Altruist - Member, Engineer
    Starkiss/Advocate - Member, Engineer
    Sassinya/Helpinya - Member, Engineer
    Javiermadriz/Javierinfo - Member, Commando
    Gigabits/Bitsohelp - Member, Engineer
    Kahlua/Knowledgebase - Member, Operative
    Skavenger/T.B.A. - Member, Commando

Any potential recruits feel free to PM me, add "Information" or "Ebalere" in game, or post below. Anyone new to the game and in need of assistance, please do the same or add anyone from the member list, or keep an eye out for a Pay It Forward member in game.

Thanks for checking us out, see ya in game!
    Last edited by Ebalere; 10-26-2011 at 01:36 PM.
    Proud Co-Leader of Infinite Union
    Infinite Union forums

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ebalere For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Good movie someone in real life helped me and asked me to pay it forward. I still haven't found a way to do it, special enough that they cannot do it themselves...

Anyway, I'm interested. I'LLC have a character ready later today. Since I have a support Eng as my main, it'll be perfect. Good luck

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Draco Mikato For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Altruism eh...I like it. I'll donate an alt. Add any of the following: Cracula - Eng, Smackula - Com or Bushwhackula - OP. My main is Dracula if you'd like to speak with me in game.

Best of luck to your noble cause Ebalare.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula:429709
    Altruism eh...I like it. I'll donate an alt. Add any of the following: Cracula - Eng, Smackula - Com or Bushwhackula - OP. My main is Dracula if you'd like to speak with me in game.

Best of luck to your noble cause Ebalare.
    Hey, thanks Dracula, just one issue, I was hoping these would all be ground-up builds, with "help" inspired names. For example, my name is "Information". It just helps the newer players know that you're there to help, and that it was a preconceived notion. If you still want to join but dont want to remake a toon, we can still work something out. I'll add you in game. Thanks again, and thanks Draco.
    Last edited by Ebalere; 09-28-2011 at 09:04 PM.
    Infinite Union forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Got it. I'll make a new character themed after support and helping.

Made a new eng called Emergency lol
    Last edited by Draco Mikato; 09-28-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Vampire the Operative

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    264 Posts

If its ok ill join... i have a lvl 30 operative and a lvl 26 commando so im quite experienced in SL. Ill have to make a new character first though Ill speak to u in game if u want
    Nothing related to any players or drug references because they already got me into trouble

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Updated and added my first two members! I want about 10 before I get the ball rolling here.
    Infinite Union forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Awesome idea. I already try to help out as much as possible, and have gotten some really great players added to one of the guilds I am a member of by doing so! I really like the idea of dedicating a character to the cause, and agree wholeheartedly with your rules. Please add "Helpdesk" (my new altruistic Engie) in-game, if you will have me.

By the way, I'm really shocked the name I chose wasn't taken! I think that means a focus on helping other players exclusively really was missing from the game. I tried "Troubleshooter" (kinda dual-meaning, right!) first, but the name was one character too long.

PL: Thequickone warrior, Torrenz archer, Faebronia enchantress/main
    SL: Thequickone commando, Torrenz operative, Faebronia engineer/main, Helpdesk <PiF> engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thequickone View Post
    Awesome idea. I already try to help out as much as possible, and have gotten some really great players added to one of the guilds I am a member of by doing so! I really like the idea of dedicating a character to the cause, and agree wholeheartedly with your rules. Please add "Helpdesk" (my new altruistic Engie) in-game, if you will have me.

By the way, I'm really shocked the name I chose wasn't taken! I think that means a focus on helping other players exclusively really was missing from the game. I tried "Troubleshooter" (kinda dual-meaning, right!) first, but the name was one character too long.
    Hey Quick! We'd love to have you! I added you on Ebalere, I'll catch you in game soon! Btw troubleshooter is a wicked name. Maybe troubleshoot isn't taken if anyone needs ideas.
    Infinite Union forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Would be a pleasure!

Count me in buddy! Will make another alt today and try hit 15 asap

Amazing idea! Will help alot with all sort of reasons and all levels alike.. love helping players/members ig/on forums! And just teaching or advising the basic needs to move on and become a respected and overal knowledgable player ig/og (Must be from my Job role hehe)
    Last edited by BodMaster; 09-29-2011 at 06:55 AM.

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Having trouble already. Some newbies are starting off without a weapon or armor

Going around punching the enemies... when I tried to explain, they wouldn't answer. Can't help them all...

Vampire the Operative

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

good luck ebalere!!! I hope this works out. I would join but i have to run my own guild. Best of luck, Blak0ut

SL Characters: Blakout Lvl 25 commando | Kaosbane lvl 17 operative | Kaosreaper lvl 10 engineer
    PL Characters: Kaotiik Lvl 20 archer | Chaosdood lvl 18 warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Draco Mikato View Post
    Having trouble already. Some newbies are starting off without a weapon or armor

Going around punching the enemies... when I tried to explain, they wouldn't answer. Can't help them all...
    With this sort of 'Guild' in place, hopefully it help sort this kind of behavior/ignorance but I agree some people are going to ignore this until most realise later the information is very handy/heplful and will help with progression.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Hey i like your idea and i would like to help too. Count me in if you like

Defyduck lvl31 Engineer
    Last edited by Defyduck; 09-29-2011 at 05:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Defyduck View Post
    Hey i like your idea and i would like to help too. Count me in if you like

Defyduck lvl31 Engineer
    Hey Defy, if its possible to make an alt (toon) with a name as support or a help related name that would be great!

Im working on mine to Level 15 as we speak

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

@Ebalere: Thanks for having me! Helpdesk is working his way up in levels, and is currently level 5. Don't let me forget to lock at 15!

@BodMaster: I'm off to a rough start, too. Helpdesk was hanging out in B*, and was feeling a bit nervous with his new-found responsibility. A couple other players were having a conversation that should have been saved for private chat. When Helpdesk said so, he was essentially told to shove it... Oh, well. This ship's probably going to hit some rough water on its voyage!

I can see the Pay It Forward guild becoming the "light in the dark" for players in need. With enough time, experience, and exposure, players will begin to understand what the guild and its members are all about - help. It time, PIF (not so sure I like that acronym...) could become synonymous with help, and would be as useful and as sought after as the Visitor's Center at the mall or the white courtesy telephone at the airport. OK, bad examples, I know...

OK, here are some more creative help-inspired names: Concierge, Blackbutler (anyone else seen the anime?), Ayuda (there are quite a few Spanish-speaking players out there!)......that's all I've got right now. If anyone plans to take Troubleshoot, I think he/she should be an Op. Need a good name for an altruistic Com... Toolkit? Scout? Ranger?
    Last edited by thequickone; 09-29-2011 at 11:29 PM.

SL: Thequickone commando, Torrenz operative, Faebronia engineer/main, Helpdesk <PiF> engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thequickone View Post
    @Ebalere: Thanks for having me! Helpdesk is working his way up in levels, and is currently level 5. Don't let me forget to lock at 15!

@BodMaster: I'm off to a rough start, too. Helpdesk was hanging out in B*, and was feeling a bit nervous with his new-found responsibility. A couple other players were having a conversation that should have been saved for private chat. When Helpdesk said so, he was essentially told to shove it... Oh, well. This ship's probably going to hit some rough water on its voyage!

I can see the Pay It Forward guild becoming the "light in the dark" for players in need. With enough time, experience, and exposure, players will begin to understand what the guild and its members are all about - help. It time, PIF (not so sure I like that acronym...) could become synonymous with help, and would be as useful and as sought after as the Visitor's Center at the mall or the white courtesy telephone at the airport. OK, bad examples, I know...

OK, here are some more creative help-inspired names: Concierge, Blackbutler (anyone else seen the anime?), Ayuda (there are quite a few Spanish-speaking players out there!)......that's all I've got right now. If anyone plans to take Troubleshoot, I think he/she should be an Op. Need a good name for an altruistic Com... Toolkit? Scout? Ranger?
    Where were you when I needed you buddy??? haha, had a good long think about names, and mine ended up being... hmmm.. uberadvisor my hearts not set on it tho im level 7 (with no enhancers lol..) (Something like BodCanFixIt haha)

Yes that we are going to get alot of that, but I am more inclined to helping the players that say 'help', 'where can I buy weapons from' 'I have a problem with leveling *points* (Skill or Main Stats) etc.

Rather than trying to PM's certain members for content abuse etc though it shouldnt be left alone.. can only try your best, guess thats why we have SGs In this instance, Add Rauen, Ghost, IBNobody, Physiologic‎ (If there are anymore please forgive me ) if they are on im sure they would be happy to point 'these' members in the right direction
    Last edited by BodMaster; 09-30-2011 at 03:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BodMaster:431908
    Where were you when I needed you buddy??? haha, had a good long think about names, and mine ended up being... hmmm.. uberadvisor my hearts not set on it tho im level 7 (with no enhancers lol..) (Something like BodCanFixIt haha)
    What about BodHelper? BodService? You're not too far in at level 7, and could always restart with a different name. You know you want to change your hairstyle, anyway! Hey, you'd even make a bit of extra Credits and stims if you did! ehem... not that I'm encouraging anything like that!! Ahhh.... hehehe.

In all seriousness, I think you're right. Unwarranted help is still, well, unwarranted. We will not likely be viewed positively for offering such assistance. However, helping those in need that are asking for help will almost always be welcome, and should leave both parties feeling satisfied.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I would like to get in on this, if possible. Have an engi available IGN bitsohelp lvl1. I have pretty much all my gear needs taken care of and am willing to lock her down at 15.

Thanks.
    You may call me bits or giga...just don't call me at dinner time
    Gigabits-engineer(main)-Bitsoarmor-commando-bitsopain-operative-Bitsohelp-engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

First of all I would like to give kudos to Ebalere for starting this, it's a phenomenal idea. Secondly, I would like to say that I was on the Blackstar with Helpdesk and Emergency today while they were fielding questions and offering advice. They have the patience of saints! Good job and good luck to ALL of you that have signed up to do this!!