Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Guide: Crowd Control - what a Bear does best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Default Guide: Crowd Control - what a Bear does best.

This guide is primarily focused on educating new players on how to play a Bear and what it is capable of.

Guide Objectives:

1. To show what crowd control is and what it can do.
    2. To show what a bear has to effectively crowd control.
    3. To show how a bear can crowd control.

What is Crowd Control?

Crowd Control or CC, which from here on we will use, has this definition from Wikipedia:

Crowd control (also called CC) is a term used in massive multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPG)s to refer to the ability to limit the number of mobs actively fighting during an encounter. It can also refer to abilities that influence or prevent the abilities or actions of other character(s). Crowd control can be extremely powerful, controlling the possible outcomes of an encounter, as it forces opponents to use a smaller set of abilities/actions. Players use crowd control to create offense/defense ratio imbalances between themselves and their opponent(s); used properly, CC often renders an opponent nearly useless, allowing the CCer to use abilities/actions against an opponent without fear of retaliation or response. In a group setting, crowd control often makes combat safer, easier, or viable.
    This definition is almost perfect to describe CC-ing in PL. However, CC-ing in PL comes hand in hand with two things: Tanking and Aggro Management.

Tanking:

Definition: When used online, especially while playing an MMORPG, this term is used to describe a player character class which is designed to absorb damage from others or computer aided characters.

"Tank" characters are especially important in large group instances. A Tank's job is to stand before the group, using their abilities and high armor values to force a particular "mob" (or group of) to continue attacking the Tank, while other characters contribute to over all damage while not taking damage themselves.
    Aggro Management:

Aggro is understood to be the condition of a particular mob attacking a particular character. Managing aggro is one of the most important aspects of grouping because it determines how much damage the group receives and where the damage ends up.
    CC-ing needs Tanking and Aggro Management since the only effective CC-er in the game is the Bear. Consequently, the other classes in the game cannot CC, Tank, and have Aggro Management as well as a Bear can.

Since CC-ing requires Tanking and Aggro Management, it also requires one final and most important rule for a bear:

"Lead the group and stay in front." - This is the Bear motto.

What a Bear can do for Crowd Control

To learn how to effectively CC with a Bear, we must first look at what a Bear has (skills) to CC with.

In order of importance, this is what a Bear has to use:

1. Beckon

• This is the bread and butter of a bear. Beckon is the best skill to CC with in the game.
    2. Taunt

• Since CC-ing comes with Tanking and Aggro Management, Taunt is the key to both of these. Taunt grabs aggro, therefore making you the tank and managing aggro at the same time.
    • Taunt also has the best dodge buff when compounded, therefore being an ultimate skill of CC-ing and Tanking.
    3. Stomp

• Essential for effective CC-ing. This skill is not only an effective skill alone, but when compounded with Beckon, fully defines a Bear.
    • Combo finisher for 'Beckon + Stomp' combo = Smash
    4. Hell Scream

• Although optional, Hell Scream is a very good skill for two reasons. It has an undocumented mini-stun and 10 armor debuff.
    • Given the additional perks, Hell Scream is extremely useful for CC-ing.
    These are the four main skills you need to be successful in CC. With experience, you can add/remove skills to your arsenal as you see fit.

How a Bear can Crowd Control

Now that we know the four skills essential for CC-ing, namely, Beckon, Taunt, Stomp, and Hell Scream, we can now work on how exactly to use these skills.

There are three main questions to ask when using skills for CC-ing: When, Where, and Why.

Before the actual steps on CC-ing, there are a few important points that a bear must remember:

1. Timing is everything!
    • The key to a successful CC is timing. CC-ing by yourself yields almost nothing, therefore you must keep your group in mind when timing your CC so that they can fully use your CC and easily kill the mobs.
    2. You are only as strong as your group.
    • You may be the best CC-ing bear, but it would mean nothing if your team is dead or dying. Your first priority when you CC is to keep your team alive. Your CC-ing skills are significantly improved by each additional team member that can use your CC.

Steps to Crowd Control

Lines in Red are links to photos.

Step 1: Taunt and gain aggro.

When: Use Taunt just as you are diving into a group of mobs. This is to gain the initial aggro factor for effective aggro management.
    Where: Since Taunt has a relatively large range of 12M, use it at the most effective spot possible, where Taunt affects the most mobs.
    Why: To successfully CC, you initially need to get aggro for Tanking and Aggro Management. Taunt does just that.

When and Where to Taunt.
    • Mobs affected by Taunt have a ! on their heads.

Step 2: Walk to an obstruction.

An obstruction is any type of object or space that blocks further movement from its position. A wall and a corner is a good obstruction.

This is a Wall:

A wall obstruction.

This is a Corner:

A corner obstruction.

Obstructions are found in every campaign. There is not one map that has no walls or corners.

Step 3: Beckon!

When: After you have found an ideal obstruction and Tanking/Aggro Managing the mobs.
    Where: As close to the obstruction as possible.
    Why: This is what defines CC-ing. Beckon is CC-ing.

This is when and where:

When and Where to Beckon.
    • Do note that mobs do not need to be aggro'd to you for Beckon to work. Beckon pulls any mob within its range towards you.
    This is why:

Why to Beckon.
    • The previously scattered mobs are now compact and clustered towards that one corner.
    • Easier to AOE, easier to kill, easier to survive from, easier in general.

Step 4: Step away from the Beckoned mobs.

When: Right after you Beckon, step away from the spot that you Beckoned from.
    Where: Take a few steps opposite from the spot you used Beckon.
    Why: To give you room to cast Stomp and fully pin them to the wall, therefore CC-ing.

Where to step back to.

Step 5: Stomp!

When: As quickly as possible after Step 4, when you step back from the mobs.
    Where: Same spot as Step 4.
    Why: To finish the combo, to stun and pushback to the wall, therefore pinning them and CC-ing them.

Where to use Stomp.

Why to use Stomp.

Step 6: Hell Scream!

When: After Stomp.
    Where: Same as Step 5, or closer to the mobs.
    Why: As mentioned earlier, it has a mini-stun and armor debuff effect. Furthermore, the damage and hit debuff is extremely useful when they come out of the stun from Stomp/Hell Scream. They do lesser damage overall.

Why to use Hell Scream.
    • See the stars around the mobs? That proves the mini-stun that Hell Scream gives.

Step 7: Gauge the mob health.

When: After Hell Scream.
    Where: Any spot, as long as you can see the health bars of the mobs you just CC-ed.
    Why: This determines how fast you can CC. If the mobs are quite damaged and will be killed off shortly, move on. If they are barely touched other than your own damage from skills, stick around.

If you decide to move on, that means your group will take care of killing the mobs. A bird and a mage has more effective AOE damage than a bear does, which is maximised when a bear fully CC's a group of mobs.

If you decide to stick around, that means your group is slow in killing the mobs. This could be due to mob strength, lack of skill from group mates, or you are CC-ing too early. If you stick around, use slashes on the mobs.

Finally...

Step 8: Rinse and repeat.

Whatever you decide to do from Step 7, you rinse and repeat when your skills become available again. This is the true art of CC-ing; being able to do these steps to every single area of mobs you encounter.

Gameplay Video:

A video on putting all these steps together and how fluent an effective CC-ing Bear does the steps.
    Apologies for the quality, still have to find a more effective way of recording videos. Please watch in HD to fully maximise.

Some video notes:
    • This was done in AO2 Map 5, good map for walls, corners, and mobs.
    • Level 61 Bear, Rift set.
    • Steps 1-8 used added some variations.

Conclusion

This guide aims to have defined what Crowd Controlling is in Pocket Legends and show that Bears are the epitome for CC-ing. CC-ing comes with two things, Tanking and Aggro Management, both of which come hand in hand to successfully and effectively CC.

The guide also aims to have shown what a Bear has to use (skills) to effectively CC, and how/when/why to use them. Although the examples are generic and in one campaign, the concept is more than present and applicable to any campaign you go to in Pocket Legends.

Changelog:

​9/30/2011 - Guide Created.
    9/31/2011 - Post-GCD Video added.
    Last edited by Ellyidol; 10-03-2011 at 11:33 AM.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Ellyidol For This Useful Post:

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Excellent work! Just hope it gets read AND implemented. We need to start a bear school!
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts

+1. Awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Thanks! The challenge I found came from the complaints I've been reading about bears, and putting up a guide which would explain what needs to be done throughout all campaigns and fully defines a bear's role.

As compared to my previous similar guide, that one was only limited to Balefort Sewers. Hopefully this one will be more applicable across the board. I'll also be editing it often to make it more coherent and fluent.

Thanks guys

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You rock Elly, Ive been playing a as a bear for quite a long time...and I still find a ton of new and useful information here...You sir are king.
    http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3386/apocr.jpg

Gears of War Officer - Apoc/Apocx/Budlight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

YAY!!!! thx cause i just made a bear and i rlly needed this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

I would love to play a warrior. Thanks this helps me a lot.
    PL - Navygreen
    AL - Viicks (me), Littlesis (my sis)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

I would have thanked that post but apparently I cannot so: Thanks! This is a great code and sticky worthy in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

Elly, mind if I put up a run of haunted symphony, A how to CC and a how to not CC?

If not, I was just gonna make my own thread, haha

-------AEO-------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

elly... isnt beckon stomp combo smashed?????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Thanks everyone '

@Necro

Of course! Feel free

@Gel

Yeah I messed up on that, will edit when I get to a PC.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post

• The use of Hell Scream before Beckon in this video was a mistake. As mentioned from the steps above, Hell Scream should always be used after Beckon.

You say to never use Hell Scream before using Beckon, however I think there are certain situations in which it is still appropriate. The main reason/situation I can think of currently in end-game bear play is in Haunted Symphony, where the mobs there can (and often) will perform the "grave stoned" attack stunning you and often coming close to 1 shotting you. While running in as a bear who is trying to group all the mobs up, and in the process, avoid getting one shot, I will often Hell Scream while still not in melee range of the mobs, but still within range to Hell Scream them. This gives me a second or so to get in position without worrying about being grave stoned and then taunt/beckon/stomping them. Beckon/Stomp keeping them effectively stun-locked until my team assists in killing everything.

I prefer to cast Hell Scream after the beckon/stomp combo as it will more frequently line up with nature strike combo, resulting in a mega combo, however I find I am able to avoid "grave stoned!" much more frequently by using Hell Scream while moving into position.

How are you other bears dealing with "grave stoned"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

I felt the exact same way at first, but after awhile of trying to test what really causes that debuff and who casts it, I found out that it's better to just keep and stay away from mobs altogether and just use CC to throw them around, pile them up, and wait for team to wipe them.

That said, I use Stomp instead of HS in cases like those. I find the knockback and stun from Stomp much more effective than Hell Scream. There's a weird thing with being 'stunned', it's like the mob can still get out an attack or that debuff at times. That's why I much prefer the knockback from Stomp instead.

And I agree, the use of HS can be either offensive or defensive, IMO.

Beckon - HS - Stomp is more offensive.

Beckon - Stomp - HS is more defensive.

I've rarely had the chance and need to Mega combo on normal mobs in Nuri's, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Ellyidol; 09-29-2011 at 08:50 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellyidol For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

i follow this exactly, after many conversations and reading other postings of the op... all bears should do the same

i get compliments on my "run" managment and my bear all the time

and yes if you use an elixer this exact same sequence shoule be used.

great post and again thank you for taking the time out to help all of us!!!

mejslll

btw - if i am solo i use becon, crushing blow, hell scream then stomp - that way the mob is scattered and i can kill off two or three before i get attacked again... the whole time i am taunting for the dodge that stacks the numbers each time it is used...
    Last edited by mejslll; 09-29-2011 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Added video gameplay.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellyidol For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

This is awesome. I just recently decided to start a new bear character (my first alt), so I'll definitely be referring to this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

What do you recommend for a stat build? As I said in the previous post, I'm new to the bear. From what I understand, half STR/half DEX is the optimal tank build, but with the gear requirements is that still the case? It seems like you have to go heavy on strength now to be able to equip decent level gear. Or is it a better trade-off to use lower level gear but have the extra dex?

Having previously played a full dex bird, I'm not used to all these variables

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McBain View Post
    What do you recommend for a stat build? As I said in the previous post, I'm new to the bear. From what I understand, half STR/half DEX is the optimal tank build, but with the gear requirements is that still the case? It seems like you have to go heavy on strength now to be able to equip decent level gear. Or is it a better trade-off to use lower level gear but have the extra dex?

Having previously played a full dex bird, I'm not used to all these variables
    Is this for end-game or leveling towards end-game?

Either way, I still think str/dex is the best bear build out there. You can never have enough Hit % (especially if you PvP), due to Hit % debuffs.

I'm not too familiar with the new lower level gear requirements (since they were changed, but makes it easier though). However, I believe a 3:2 and 2:3 Str/Dex alternating build will work very well. This means that for the first level, you put 3 str and 2 dex, for the next level, you put 2 str and 3 dex, and so on.

At end-game (60), you'll only need 140/140 Str/Dex to equip any of the Str/Dex gear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Out of curiosity, do you think there is any use for the 2h level 60 swords?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you think there is any use for the 2h level 60 swords?
    Slight only

Base damage, I think the Glyph Maces offer more, IIRC. But for skill damage, the 2H Swords > Mace, guaranteed. On that note, that's the only use for 60 2H Swords I can find..