Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: About Toxicity in PvP

  1. #1
    Blogger OverkillED's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,082
    Blog Entries
    13
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    148
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    92
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

    Default About Toxicity in PvP

    After reading many threads about how PvP is the most toxic it has ever been, I am making this thread to share my opinion on the problem.

    Over the years, Pocket Legends has gone through many changes that has changed the way people play and talk. However, trash talking has become more and more abusive. There are several reasons behind this in my opinion:

    1. Pocket Legends is a videogame. Everyone in the game is playing behind a screen of some kind in the safety of their homes. Anyone can tell another person on a video game to kill themselves usually without any repercussions simply because there is anonymity online that is not prevalent in real life.

    2. The "All items are tradable" update. What I have observed is that many feel the need to prove their superiority over others, whether it is through skills in PvP or limited edition vanities. The whole "newgen" phrase is being used more and more as many feel the need to show that they are superior to others based on when they started playing the game. They can not show this superiority through vanities anymore because all of them are tradable. Personally, I am not upset about this update because it allows us to use vanities for what they are really for: looks. If you like the way an item looks then you should not have a problem with others having it because you can rock your own style without worrying about exclusivity.

    3. PvP can be frustrating, especially with class imbalances and the advantage given to one player over another because of "rushing." People are vengeful and seek to kill the ones that "rush" them or beat them consistently. This results in teaming and the trash talk we see today. Like I stated above, people want to feel like a special snowflake or more powerful than others. Often, these people who trash talk have a lack of control or power over their own lives (lack of friends, getting bullied, etc).

    4. Trash talking is learned behavior. Toxicity results in more toxicity.

    There is nothing wrong with friendly competition. In fact, competitive banter helps one another improve their game while finding mutual respect for one another. Trash talking is part of sports, not just videogames. Many great basketball players, such as Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, and Larry Bird talked trash to tilt their opponents. It is an effective strategy to get in your opponent's head, however the toxicity in Pocket Legends borders on abuse.

    Often, the greatest players do not say, they just do. The time you waste typing away could be used to improve your game.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Congeniality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Taco Legends
    Posts
    682
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    486
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    277
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillED View Post
    After reading many threads about how PvP is the most toxic it has ever been, I am making this thread to share my opinion on the problem.

    Over the years, Pocket Legends has gone through many changes that has changed the way people play and talk. However, trash talking has become more and more abusive. There are several reasons behind this in my opinion:

    1. Pocket Legends is a videogame. Everyone in the game is playing behind a screen of some kind in the safety of their homes. Anyone can tell another person on a video game to kill themselves usually without any repercussions simply because there is anonymity online that is not prevalent in real life.

    2. The "All items are tradable" update. What I have observed is that many feel the need to prove their superiority over others, whether it is through skills in PvP or limited edition vanities. The whole "newgen" phrase is being used more and more as many feel the need to show that they are superior to others based on when they started playing the game. They can not show this superiority through vanities anymore because all of them are tradable. Personally, I am not upset about this update because it allows us to use vanities for what they are really for: looks. If you like the way an item looks then you should not have a problem with others having it because you can rock your own style without worrying about exclusivity.

    3. PvP can be frustrating, especially with class imbalances and the advantage given to one player over another because of "rushing." People are vengeful and seek to kill the ones that "rush" them or beat them consistently. This results in teaming and the trash talk we see today. Like I stated above, people want to feel like a special snowflake or more powerful than others. Often, these people who trash talk have a lack of control or power over their own lives (lack of friends, getting bullied, etc).

    4. Trash talking is learned behavior. Toxicity results in more toxicity.

    There is nothing wrong with friendly competition. In fact, competitive banter helps one another improve their game while finding mutual respect for one another. Trash talking is part of sports, not just videogames. Many great basketball players, such as Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, and Larry Bird talked trash to tilt their opponents. It is an effective strategy to get in your opponent's head, however the toxicity in Pocket Legends borders on abuse.

    Often, the greatest players do not say, they just do. The time you waste typing away could be used to improve your game.
    I think the bigger issue is the lack of morality in today's society. It's truly accurate that some people don't naturally have a moral compass. Some have to be taught and after learning they realize how it is a far superior alternate to the behavior of toxicity. However, with a new age of smart phones and television shows, parents are too busy with themselves and their social media to parent. Thus kids never learn how to treat others with respect like our earlier generations did.

    Now, we are living in a world of zombies on smart phones who are incapable of thinking for themselves and instead love to be herded from one decision to another because they lack the mental capacity to make a conscious effort to do something they themselves believe in. They do what others do because their brain has been turned into a sack of potatoes from modern society.

    Furthermore, I am not sure about the rest of the world, but I know that my fellow youth in the United States have this sense of entitlement to everything. They don't seem to understand the wealth of privileges we have. They don't see the work that went into giving us the freedoms we have, they think they are hot sh** because they "earned" those rights. They were given to us, we didn't earn anything. People feel entitled to whatever they please, it's truly sickening and I believe that sense of superiority is a big reason we find ourselves in the current situation.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Congeniality For This Useful Post:


  4.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #3
    Design Department Cinco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,902
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    39
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,637
    Thanked in
    1,552 Posts

    Default

    PvP makes people salty.
    | | | |

    Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

  5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cinco For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Banned Kingzila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    340
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    147
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    37
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cinco View Post
    PvP makes people salty.
    It wasn't always so bad as it is now though, I use to pvp & it was a nice fun thing, now it's just a over competitive cesspool of just angry people scream who rushed and who didn't & died, that is why I wouldn't touch pvp now with a 30 foot pole if my life depended on it.

  7. #5
    Senior Member Zapoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    :o
    Posts
    1,545
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    59
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    195
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingzila View Post
    It wasn't always so bad as it is now though, I use to pvp & it was a nice fun thing, now it's just a over competitive cesspool of just angry people scream who rushed and who didn't & died, that is why I wouldn't touch pvp now with a 30 foot pole if my life depended on it.
    I want some of those rose tinted glasses you've got there. As far as I recall, PvP has always been fairly toxic. Maybe not at the level cap to the degree lower levels had it, but it's always been there and quite noticeable. The things you're complaining about seem to have gotten better from where I'm looking.

  8. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    :)
    Posts
    422
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    20
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    24
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

    Default

    Well, I'm sorry that perfect and righteous people like you have to deal with this in game. But whatever game you play or wherever in life you will find toxic people. No point complaining about it, it will never end. If you can't handle it it's your loss I suggest you mute them and carry on.

  9.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #7
    Dev Justg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,020
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    238
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10,983
    Thanked in
    2,035 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamthesurvivor View Post
    Well, I'm sorry that perfect and righteous people like you have to deal with this in game. But whatever game you play or wherever in life you will find toxic people. No point complaining about it, it will never end. If you can't handle it it's your loss I suggest you mute them and carry on.
    Makes me wanna check your chat -.-
    | | | |

    Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justg For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Senior Member Bazinga!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    693
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    125
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    103
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

    Default

    I don't really get the 'checking your chat' thing. All unwanted words have already been disallowed within the game itself. You automatically get muted if you say a bad word, and you automatically get banned for saying too many.

  12. #9
    Senior Member Congeniality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Taco Legends
    Posts
    682
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    486
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    277
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bazinga! View Post
    I don't really get the 'checking your chat' thing. All unwanted words have already been disallowed within the game itself. You automatically get muted if you say a bad word, and you automatically get banned for saying too many.
    And you automatically have something to say about everything.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Congeniality For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    Senior Member Bazinga!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    693
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    125
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    103
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Congeniality View Post
    And you automatically have something to say about everything.
    Yeah pretty much. Problem?

  15.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #11
    Dev Justg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,020
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    238
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10,983
    Thanked in
    2,035 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bazinga! View Post
    I don't really get the 'checking your chat' thing. All unwanted words have already been disallowed within the game itself. You automatically get muted if you say a bad word, and you automatically get banned for saying too many.
    I'll try to explain. It is trivial to get around a chat filter and say hateful things to other people. We really hate bullying, racism, misogyny, and such, so generally if someone feels enough of the need to rage or belittle here on the forums, it is likely that they are not behaving in game either.

    One love people!
    | | | |

    Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

  16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Justg For This Useful Post:


  17. #12
    Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,454
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,273
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,060
    Thanked in
    1,175 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    I'll try to explain. It is trivial to get around a chat filter and say hateful things to other people. We really hate bullying, racism, misogyny, and such, so generally if someone feels enough of the need to rage or belittle here on the forums, it is likely that they are not behaving in game either.

    One love people!
    Tis why you guys are the greatest devs of any game <3

  18. #13
    Senior Member 3pc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    So Flooo
    Posts
    900
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    227
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    164
    Thanked in
    126 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cinco View Post
    PvP makes people salty.
    Dang cinco knows slang words.

  19. #14
    Forum Adept zaorago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    391
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    45
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    28
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    Makes me wanna check your chat -.-
    Omg nuked...

  20. #15
    Banned Kingzila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    340
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    147
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    37
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamthesurvivor View Post
    Well, I'm sorry that perfect and righteous people like you have to deal with this in game. But whatever game you play or wherever in life you will find toxic people. No point complaining about it, it will never end. If you can't handle it it's your loss I suggest you mute them and carry on.
    Because banning & device wide suspensions aren't a thing. Pretty sure a few of those would kill off a few toxic people in a matter of hours.

  21. #16
    Senior Member WhoIsThis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,036
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    116
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    557
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingzila View Post
    It wasn't always so bad as it is now though, I use to pvp & it was a nice fun thing, now it's just a over competitive cesspool of just angry people scream who rushed and who didn't & died, that is why I wouldn't touch pvp now with a 30 foot pole if my life depended on it.
    I'd say the 2010-2011 era was the best as far as civility went. Then introducing guilds helped too, as one spent a disproportionate amount of time with guild mates.







    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillED View Post
    After reading many threads about how PvP is the most toxic it has ever been, I am making this thread to share my opinion on the problem.

    Over the years, Pocket Legends has gone through many changes that has changed the way people play and talk. However, trash talking has become more and more abusive. There are several reasons behind this in my opinion:

    1. Pocket Legends is a videogame. Everyone in the game is playing behind a screen of some kind in the safety of their homes. Anyone can tell another person on a video game to kill themselves usually without any repercussions simply because there is anonymity online that is not prevalent in real life.

    2. The "All items are tradable" update. What I have observed is that many feel the need to prove their superiority over others, whether it is through skills in PvP or limited edition vanities. The whole "newgen" phrase is being used more and more as many feel the need to show that they are superior to others based on when they started playing the game. They can not show this superiority through vanities anymore because all of them are tradable. Personally, I am not upset about this update because it allows us to use vanities for what they are really for: looks. If you like the way an item looks then you should not have a problem with others having it because you can rock your own style without worrying about exclusivity.

    3. PvP can be frustrating, especially with class imbalances and the advantage given to one player over another because of "rushing." People are vengeful and seek to kill the ones that "rush" them or beat them consistently. This results in teaming and the trash talk we see today. Like I stated above, people want to feel like a special snowflake or more powerful than others. Often, these people who trash talk have a lack of control or power over their own lives (lack of friends, getting bullied, etc).

    4. Trash talking is learned behavior. Toxicity results in more toxicity.

    There is nothing wrong with friendly competition. In fact, competitive banter helps one another improve their game while finding mutual respect for one another. Trash talking is part of sports, not just videogames. Many great basketball players, such as Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, and Larry Bird talked trash to tilt their opponents. It is an effective strategy to get in your opponent's head, however the toxicity in Pocket Legends borders on abuse.

    Often, the greatest players do not say, they just do. The time you waste typing away could be used to improve your game.


    Balance is the one that can be most controlled and I agree that there needs to be a lot of work done to get the balance right. In practice, the 3 sets (int, dex, and str) could be asymmetrically balanced, but they all need to be viable at end game. Otherwise it renders an entire build ineffective (Ex: int mage has seen some big swings).

    It is for that reason that I spent a long time writing some very lengthy posts on getting balance right.




    There are communities that do attract a more mature client base. It really depends though. I find that a rating system would be good in some games, especially MMOs. I find elsewhere that it is often the hardcore places that have the most mature audiences, although there are usually a few contested sub-forums.







    Quote Originally Posted by Congeniality View Post
    I think the bigger issue is the lack of morality in today's society. It's truly accurate that some people don't naturally have a moral compass. Some have to be taught and after learning they realize how it is a far superior alternate to the behavior of toxicity. However, with a new age of smart phones and television shows, parents are too busy with themselves and their social media to parent. Thus kids never learn how to treat others with respect like our earlier generations did.

    Now, we are living in a world of zombies on smart phones who are incapable of thinking for themselves and instead love to be herded from one decision to another because they lack the mental capacity to make a conscious effort to do something they themselves believe in. They do what others do because their brain has been turned into a sack of potatoes from modern society.

    Furthermore, I am not sure about the rest of the world, but I know that my fellow youth in the United States have this sense of entitlement to everything. They don't seem to understand the wealth of privileges we have. They don't see the work that went into giving us the freedoms we have, they think they are hot sh** because they "earned" those rights. They were given to us, we didn't earn anything. People feel entitled to whatever they please, it's truly sickening and I believe that sense of superiority is a big reason we find ourselves in the current situation.

    I agree with this. It's not just in video games, but it is everywhere.

    I don't see most Gen Y people as being entitled though. We are living in a pretty awful economy and most people are struggling to get by. This is alarming: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ills/84665088/. Inequality is a serious problem and if you read look up the economic indicators ... it is bad news for us formerly middle class people. I think that people would be a lot more civil shape if the economy were better.

    I suspect that most people from centuries ago if they were magically transported from the past to the age of the Internet would do the same.



    To be honest, on a lot of of forums, I'd be open to the idea for higher quality posts of having the option of having real names or some way to identify the profile of the poster. It would however strictly be optional.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 01-28-2017 at 10:32 PM.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoIsThis For This Useful Post:


  23. #17
    Junior Member Adaptify's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Konohagakure
    Posts
    42
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    I think people are getting more and more angrier because the older PvPers are used to old PvP mechanics and when someone New joins the PvP scene, they are starting to get good. And the old pvpers get frustrated with that. Just my opinion, but I'm probably wrong.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Adaptify For This Useful Post:


  25. #18
    Senior Member Congeniality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Taco Legends
    Posts
    682
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    486
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    277
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adaptify View Post
    I think people are getting more and more angrier because the older PvPers are used to old PvP mechanics and when someone New joins the PvP scene, they are starting to get good. And the old pvpers get frustrated with that. Just my opinion, but I'm probably wrong.
    You sir, are far too humble. Your are making me like you.

  26. #19
    Senior Member humiiii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Bannedfort Castle
    Posts
    851
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    295
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    249
    Thanked in
    147 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adaptify View Post
    I think people are getting more and more angrier because the older PvPers are used to old PvP mechanics and when someone New joins the PvP scene, they are starting to get good. And the old pvpers get frustrated with that. Just my opinion, but I'm probably wrong.
    yea this is exactly that except there are barely any old pvpers nowadays, plus you can't really know who's new and who's not

  27. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    247
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    214
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    20
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

    Default About Toxicity in PvP

    Quote Originally Posted by humiiii View Post
    yea this is exactly that except there are barely any old pvpers nowadays, plus you can't really know who's new and who's not
    You can tell some by human faces


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Toxicity
    By Onagiabef in forum PL Guilds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-26-2013, 01:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •