Thread: PvP Balance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Default PvP Balance

For those of you worried about PvP balance in SL...

I talked with senior members of the dev team on Saturday. They are not satisfied with how PvP was implemented in PL and plan on changing things around. There was no ETA on when this will happen.

Here are some things that they can/will do:

1. The power curves for the 3 classes in PvE may not be the same as the power curves in PvP. Weapons and skills may do more/less damage against human opponents.

2. The engine can distinguish between multiple phone models. If a phone has an advantage, they can compensate. For example, the Experia Play lets you switch targets with the L/R buttons. This advantage is mitigated, though, by giving the Experia Play a shorter auto-target range. Speculation: They will likely have to compensate for Chrome users, since having a keyboard & mouse beats a phone-sized touchscreen.

3. They do not want to set up a system that can be abused. (No matches that were lost on purpose to drive the winner's levels up.)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IBNobody For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

I sincerely hope they add a PvP reward system as well. Not just boostable kill numbers, but actual incentive to PvP.

Thanks again, IB.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So, is the implication that:
    A) we could have two builds(pvp and pve)?
    B) they will change the way skills work without changing the way they work in pve(e.g. not nerfing our classes for the sake of pvp balance)?

Edit: and the phone model thing is pretty cool. I wonder if it will distinguish between slower phones as well, for example, someone running on 3g, 4g, or wifi
    Last edited by GigaBits; 10-03-2011 at 12:30 PM.
    You may call me bits or giga...just don't call me at dinner time
    Gigabits-engineer(main)-Bitsoarmor-commando-bitsopain-operative-Bitsohelp-engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Great info buddy and good question been wondering about this for long time now and no light had been shone on the subject until now

1,2 and 3 are great points would work well within the system learning for PL experiences just how it should be

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    264 Posts

I tink a good idea would be to have a free for all game mode and then a separate game mode where u have to click on a person and press a button that says something like challenge, then a menu pops up on the other persons screen saying something like:
    'challengers name' lvl x would like to challenge u to fight, do u accept or decline. Then two options would appear allowing the player to choose whether to fight or not.
    I think alot of people would prefer this game mode to get rid of rushers.
    But that's just my opinion
    Nothing related to any players or drug references because they already got me into trouble

Forum Adept ExperimentNebulaCore's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matutd:435155
    I tink a good idea would be to have a free for all game mode and then a separate game mode where u have to click on a person and press a button that says something like challenge, then a menu pops up on the other persons screen saying something like:
    'challengers name' lvl x would like to challenge u to fight, do u accept or decline. Then two options would appear allowing the player to choose whether to fight or not.
    I think alot of people would prefer this game mode to get rid of rushers.
    But that's just my opinion
    Ah nice idea. I like the challenge idea. It'll prevent twinks from rushing people without good gear as in lvl 16 and under pvp.
    Aznhmoobyang 66, endgame pvper Aznbboynebula 65, suicidal toon on leaderboard experimentkai 12 pvper and more toons not gonn list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GigaBits View Post
    So, is the implication that:
    A) we could have two builds(pvp and pve)?
    B) they will change the way skills work without changing the way they work in pve(e.g. not nerfing our classes for the sake of pvp balance)?

Edit: and the phone model thing is pretty cool. I wonder if it will distinguish between slower phones as well, for example, someone running on 3g, 4g, or wifi
    I don't know about 2 builds, but it does sound like they will scale the damage. That's a great thing, because I think that the PvE damage system is fairly robust.

EDIT: And they didn't specifically say that they compensate between slower phones and whatnot, BUT what they DO do is scale back some of the flair for *all* phones so that the lower end phones can run the game smoothly. They try and keep their games running on phones that aren't cutting edge. More phones = more potential Platinum transactions = more developers = more games

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    I sincerely hope they add a PvP reward system as well. Not just boostable kill numbers, but actual incentive to PvP.

Thanks again, IB.
    NP.

They want to have a meaningful PvP reward system. They just don't want to set things up and see people exploiting it left and right. (That came from my talks with Samhayne, who is as supportive and team-oriented in real life as he is on the forums.)
    Last edited by IBNobody; 10-03-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Guys rushing is part of pvp. In WoW do u think the alliance tells the horde to wait till I'm ready before u attack no. You know from the moment u zone into a pvp match what your getting into. Either fight or make a private game for duels.

ZERO COMMANDO
    Follow me on Twitter @Zero_SLegends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IBNobody View Post
    EDIT: And they didn't specifically say that they compensate between slower phones and whatnot, BUT what they DO do is scale back some of the flair for *all* phones so that the lower end phones can run the game smoothly. They try and keep their games running on phones that aren't cutting edge. More phones = more potential Platinum transactions = more developers = more games
    So again, make it worse for everybody for the sake of few crappy old and cheap models. That's always a winning idea!

Last time I saw those arguments they were for GCD. Much good it did to PL...

Sorry, 'bout the sudden jolt of bitterness, but that line of thought brought too many bad memories.
    SoiledPants 41 eng, NoPants 41 op, PoofyPants 41 com, Hullukko (retired) 56 mage, NoPanties 21 vampire

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hullukko View Post
    So again, make it worse for everybody for the sake of few crappy old and cheap models. That's always a winning idea!

Last time I saw those arguments they were for GCD. Much good it did to PL...

Sorry, 'bout the sudden jolt of bitterness, but that line of thought brought too many bad memories.
    As a short term player of PL, I am not versed on the PL history. Forgive me.

With all due respect, many people are still using phones that ARE older. My Galaxy S phone was shiny and new a year ago, and I'm locked into it for another year. I may not be able to get a new phone when my contract expires (read: I may not be able to convince the wife I need a new $150-$200 phone). Newer phones may not have as much flair as they can handle, but they'll have better frame rates than old phones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IBNobody View Post
    As a short term player of PL, I am not versed on the PL history. Forgive me.

With all due respect, many people are still using phones that ARE older. My Galaxy S phone was shiny and new a year ago, and I'm locked into it for another year. I may not be able to get a new phone when my contract expires (read: I may not be able to convince the wife I need a new $150-$200 phone). Newer phones may not have as much flair as they can handle, but they'll have better frame rates than old phones.
    Same position as you IB my phone contract runs out on my (was awesome) HTC Desire now its one of the lower end phones.. work ~ being made redundant (long story - not by my employers choice guess its a part of Government run program contracts etc) little.. actually way off topic) remember back in the day it being a top end phone playing PL though as you explained above this will be quite diverse throughout

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Thx for info IBN.

Not sure how they will balance between different devices or chrome user.
    That engine that can detect what phone we r usin seems a bit... I dont know.

For me it all dpd first on the connection or ping. The player with the way better one will 99% win vs an other player of same strenght even with a better phone.

After when game will b available on chrome, I dont c how even high spec phone could beat a high spec pc (even an average one) and people usin game keyboard for macro or programmin sequence will b at adv. wonder how theyll compensate there.