Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Complete Reliance on Engineers is Unfortunately Unfair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Default Your Complete Reliance on Engineers is Unfortunately Unfair

I will admit that it is our job as Engineers to provide healing and reviving, as well as optional defense buffs if you thankfully accept that we provide it at all. (No need to bash one's play style if it can still benefit you and the entire party, and keep the run going at no problem. According to a small study done by some dedicated members and simple acceptance, people reject or flame when they get a Protection buff.)

But anyway... to my main point.

I cannot heal someone who is getting pummeled by over 7 enemies on Slouch-o's. But I will try my best. As long as a fight is going on, my heal is on constant cast. And I will even risk gaining aggro by using Tranference to give you that faster heal. That is the best I can do. Please don't bark at us that we're not healing right. Empathy comes in waves with a waiting time, not instantaneous, and on top of that, it doesn't have a very far reach. Yes, I do run next to the dying member of the party and back and forth, or try to position myself so that there can be the maximum benefit of casting Empathy.

Just please be aware that when people in your party are trying their best and you still die, you have no one to blame. Because you cannot afford stims, refused to use them or did not readily prepare yourself to bring any is not my responsibility.

Dedicated engineers will revive and heal without you having to say something rude. Thank your engineers. In my opinion, we are the most imperative luxuries, if not necessities in a party.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it bro. IMO, one good engineer gives more than enough healing when paced right.

Those players diving into mobs and dying are probably not using stims, or don't know how to play. You can tell them to tank better as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

I have to agree entirely--there is no way for an Engie's Empathy to keep up with the damage being dealt. I only ever get annoyed, (and never vocally so they just go on my mental "do not touch with a 40 foot pole list), with those who never, or worse, can't heal. That wee little bit of healing may make the difference between me being able to down a stim or dying. And I really, *really* appreciate the heals. In return, I try to target the stuff that'll likely hurt you the most first (paparazzi, etc.) and stay within range as much as I can. And I must admit to having a quiet PM with more than one person who was being rude to an Engineer in public chat.

My only disagreement is this: *every* member of a party, if they're doing their job, is important. Commandos? I **LOVE** Commandos! They're in there grabbing aggro like a maniac and my Op's lifespan would be considerably shorter without them. Thanks, 'mandos! The Engineers finishing off combos, sneaking in some damage, punching up my health, bringing me back from the dead? I'm a huge fan, so thank you, Medics. And Ops like me? We're trying to kill things as quick as we can to keep the damage to our team-mates and ourselves to a minimum. A party made up of just one or two of the components can make it thru, but a good mix of all three really rocks it.
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes agreed.
    people are constantly b-wording about how bad engineers are...
    yet most of the time engineers not only end up being the healer...
    but also end up being the tanker... ive been in so many runs where people
    will wait for me to run ahead and start attacking before they even move.
    ive literally sat still for 5 minutes waiting.... nothing happened until i moved forward -_-.
    If you want a good engineer people can start by being a better commando or even op.

But anyways, I heal... but i wont go out my way... to heal or revive someone
    if you run away from the group to go kill things and you die. im not going to leave the other 3-4 people
    alone to die just because you decided to go play on the freeway.
    LegalShet - 30 Engi
    LethalShet - 13 Oper

My Pet Monkey Gorda
    Please no feeding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I've switched to a shield and pistol.to avoid getting aggro because when I use the "boxing gloves" I'm the target of some serious pain. I had good runs today because I played with old friends who.know how.to aggressively match with the rest of the party. But there are always those who will complain.that we're not healing enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

For addition to all engineers, if you are afraid to run in the middle
    Of group to heal, yo might wanna try this.

Max out suppression, cast it from far to enemy group(max 12m) -> tun to middle -> heal and run away from group. You hardly not getting agro or either any damage since so many enemy is stunned.

At the moment I have maxed out suppression, empathy, protection and transference and least for my gameplay as supportive engineer this works very well. :]
    Pocket legends: Eagle (Endgame Bird), Magic (endgame mage), Getnuked (voodoo mage)
    Star legends: Eng (Engineer), Rapid (operative)
    Dark legends: Sucker (vampire queen)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it bro. IMO, one good engineer gives more than enough healing when paced right.

Those players diving into mobs and dying are probably not using stims, or don't know how to play. You can tell them to tank better as well.

They know how to play unlike some people they just try to get there kills up and some Eng dont do there job right a few days a level 28 Eng didnt even know what Revive.was FAIL S$
    Last edited by SUPAPRODIGY; 09-20-2011 at 12:12 AM.

SupaProdigy level 32 operative SpaceReaper level 12 .Beastrocity lvl 63
    Supaprodigy level 56 bird Toquickforu level 60 Paladin! Top Shot Mafia. Empty-Space

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Preach it! :-D

The people in the other classes are collectively so rude and inconsiderate, that nowadays I only revive the players I like (i.e. those I don't dislike). In my mind, we have to respawn from the beginning if we die. We're not responsible for the other four players (I find that more than one Engineer is uncommon), we're not their nanny. We often die when trying to revive others. We can handle ourselves alone through any level* with Empathy, Leech, Transference, Pain, and Sonic Boom. "Stronger" classes should be able to handle themselves just fine with their own skillset, and I'm sure they can learn to respawn as we have.

Personally I'm considering respeccing skill points, and move the single lone point I have on Revive to Sonic Boom. The choice** to not revive players will be even easier if I can't choose!

In any event, you guys should try being selective in who you revive. Ignoring the people that, when down, type as follows:
    "rev" ... "revive me" ... "revive me" ... "REVIVE ME" ... "-insert insult-"
    is extremely gratifying. When players are dead, they have an ample opportunity to type "please". I think I've seen two people say please, but they were "pls" and "plz".

* Except, of course, a level in Cycorp Industries, a level in Delta 7, and the Director Droid himself.
    ** I have to wonder where other classes get the idea that, just because we're Engineers, we have Revive. It's not an unspoken rule that we have to have it, we can allocate our Skill Points however we please.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just to say this if you ever see me trying to tank or something,leave me be unless its boss or am being mibbed but i can handke myself as op,and i dont care bout my kill count so anyone who sees uzikrabadone tanking and you get mad,get over it. Im doing my job to keep others alive and weaken the other baddies its important to keep and add roles to your self never forget that peeps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

An Engie should.have revive no matter what. There's need to reflectively disrespect someone back. It could get you booted or otherwise (unless they're a jerk and is boot-happy). You don't have to kiss butt or not protect your pride and name, but being nasty back makes you no better. Reviving someone who is willing to fight is still beneficial to the entire party. Keep your point in revive, dude. At least it will serve purpose to your friends/guild mates.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nothing to do with what was being talked about.
    but okay (:

^
    ^

up a post lol

but for what you were saying draco.
    yoru right every engi should have revive regardless of the skill path they go down
    its essential ... helll if i was a commando or opp i would want revive -_-
    LegalShet - 30 Engi
    LethalShet - 13 Oper

My Pet Monkey Gorda
    Please no feeding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Woah there space cadets! Nice rant op and I totally agree. I remember way back ( y'know like 6 weeks, lol) having to tell ppl I would not revive them if they ran out on a miner run or otherwise broke the miner rules. Get's them to listen real quick

We eningeers hold in our giant gloved hands a bit of responsibility, other classes may be able to heal themselves but they will never bring back the dead, do not leave home w/o at least 1 in revive.

616 is my motto 6 empathy 1 revive 6 transference. Anyone who says anything about the other skills you choose, doesn't understand the class at all.
    You may call me bits or giga...just don't call me at dinner time
    Gigabits-engineer(main)-Bitsoarmor-commando-bitsopain-operative-Bitsohelp-engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back in numa everyone in our party died and rezzed except for one guy. He was lazy and expected me to respawn and to rez him with the guardian standing right on him.being the nice guy I was, I did and died. ever since then I just laugh at stupid request

remember not to talk smack to the guy saving you. He might forget to cat heal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Engineers unfortunately sometimes get too much praise and too much blame. There was another thread recently that mentioned how engineers often get thanked for revving, but no other classes ever get thanked for what they do. There's some truth to that, but on the flip-side, engineers also get unfairly called out if something doesn't go right, so I guess it evens out. Some people do rely on engineers way too much and feel like they should never have to use a stim pack when an engineer is in the group, which is just stupid.

With that said, however, some engineers have to learn that they're not superheroes. Fairly often, I'll see an engineer in the group rushing into in the middle of mobs, acting like they were a commando. Don't do that. You're not equipped to do that. That's what actual commandos are for. A dead commando can be revved, but a dead engineer is useless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Engineers are overrated to me. Yes I thank you for your healing effects but they are just kinda there. I never really wanted to play as a healer because I don't wanna get yelled at like u claim people do. I'll stick to my DPS and tanking

Oh and I've never seen an engineer use a defense buff...aside from the one that has the 3 person figures on it.

SL: Darkenforcer (Level 30 Operator)
    AL: Mrxxevl (Level 9 Warrior)
    BD: Evl1312

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

I say its teamwork. Since I am an engineer, I do my best for the team: I heal to keep them alive, I cast protection to slow down the damage so empathy can heal in time, I don't rush, I praise other teammates than myself, I'm Santa Abe so I donate lots of purples to those in need, I revive rarely either because WE are all doing a great job or because sombody was too close to the bomb , and I am a dedicated engineer to my party.
    Last edited by Cahaun; 09-20-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

At first before i use engineer, i had no ideas how hard it is to heal and protect the team.

After having alt, like you mention the healing range is so small and it had waiting time so we only had 2 healing such as Empathy and Tranference interchange.

It depends on each preference to buff on protection or using wither.

It is hard to heal so many players consider the main problem such as the small reach to other players.

However, i do appreciate players who keep healing and save our time to kill the monster and save our money on stims.

Thanks to all good engineer!

*DivineHawkz -46 Operative
    Tired and sad but fun.. - Feitan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McBain View Post
    With that said, however, some engineers have to learn that they're not superheroes. Fairly often, I'll see an engineer in the group rushing into in the middle of mobs, acting like they were a commando. Don't do that. You're not equipped to do that. That's what actual commandos are for. A dead commando can be revved, but a dead engineer is useless.
    Haha that is me. Don't mind me when you see my Engi crashing into a pack of mobs spamming transference as my opening attack. It's just my playstyle and I'm usually equipped with loads of stims to support it. After running with Ellyidol in his speed runs a few times I get delusions of being a superhero and become Rambo engineer lol.
    Kindread - Lvl 56 Pink-Magnet ("Pink Taco!")
    Grendel - Level 25 Operative, Vicar - Noob Engineer, Emissary - Noob Commando

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Look at it this way.

If all you do is heal-heal-heal-heal-rev-heal-heal-heal-rev-heal-heal-rev-heal-rev-rev-rev.

THEY are doing it wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As an engineer, my resposne to thank you for revving is "It's the job".

-Saber