Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Cranking PvP up a notch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Lightbulb Cranking PvP up a notch.

I, and several others, feel that PvP has lost its charm. I, for one, have lost the compulsion to join a PvP match when I see one available. Maybe it's just me, but the recent updates haven't redeemed my interest in PvP. Fixing stats just means nerfing one class until another one becomes relatively overpowered. It's one thing to balance PvP and another to make it fun. One doesn't imply the other. Nevertheless, both of these are required to have a good PvP experience, and at least STS is making a conscious effort to balance PvP.

I personally hate long threads, and so do others, but somehow a simple idea keeps growing and growing, and its impossible to make a thread small. I don't want people to selectively read the thread and then comment, so I divided it up into sections to make it cleaner.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To make PvP more interesting, here are a couple of suggestions.

1)

(FFA's Idea) Resetting Leader Boards, Monthly Prizes.

Credits go to FFA for this idea. Please look at the original thread as well. It's in the suggestions and feedback section. Most people don't look there, so I got FFA's permission to mention this idea on General Discussion in my thread. Here's the link:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...oard-addition!

So basically the idea is to reset the leader board after regular periods of time, say every month. Also, the leader board will be split up into different level ranges. In addition to that, the top players with the most kills get prizes, like gold or platinum.

2)

Having Stakes in PvP.

This is what I wanted to get to. I'm almost certain that I've mentioned this idea before. But at the time, the game literally got no updates, and it was just a passing thread.

I'm still contemplating on the working of this in a team match, but here's what I got.

TEAM MATCHES:

Type 1: Random assignment.

Players would wait in a waiting room (anyone played Minecraft online?). Then players can enter a game with spaces available. Players can choose their teams and then decide the stakes they want to put up. To keep it simple, only gold (or platinum?) can be wagered. The match starts when everyone has put in their share. The minimum being 12K gold (or 2 platinum?). If one player forfeits from the team, all skills get disabled until a player from the other team opts out; i.e. chooses to be a spectator until someone else joins. At the end of the match, the stakes of the losing team gets distributed equally to the players of the winning team present at the end of the game.

Type 2: Preset matches.

This is more or less like the regular TDMs, except there are two captains and the teams are set by the captains. The captains will have to give invites to the players they want. After this, the same procedure is followed.

1 V 1s:
    The mechanics of this are pretty easy. Each player puts in their stakes and plays. The person who loses / forfeits will lose the stakes, and the winner will get it. It is possible to stake items in 1 v 1 as well, so that would be interesting.

Game Settings:
    - Max Score
    - Minimum wager
    - Players per team (for Team Matches)
    - Class / gear restrictions (for 1 V 1s)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Effect on PvP:

Both of these updates create a sense of competition. So many players PvP by default, knowing that it would add no value to their character. Now there would be a reason to PvP, just as there is a reason to farm in PvE. Years of honing PvP skills has got to come to some use, and this is it. With all items being tradeable, there's absolutely no reason why players wouldn't PvP for cash.

An update like this would drastically increase PvP activity at every level. The whole point of these suggestions is to create an incentive for PvP, and the biggest incentive in my opinion, is money.

I know this thread is long, but an elaborate concept like this can be simplified into two basic things - resetting leader boards and PvP for money.
    I don't expect STS to make an update like this any time soon, but I'd imagine that executing a design like this would take as much work as a team, as making THE OVERLORD RETURNS campaign as one person (correct me if I'm wrong). The next big update could be this. I would prefer a PvP update like this over a cap any day. How about you guys?

Also I've noticed that most of the questions, and answers to questions especially, get lost inside the comments. I'm not anticipating a lot of questions, but I'd rather not have a lot of people asking the same questions, so I dedicated a separate section for Q&A.

FAQs:

Last edited by Bazinga!; 01-26-2017 at 06:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Leader board rewards cant work due to boosters

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tinkertoy For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tinkertoy View Post
    Leader board rewards cant work due to boosters

I addressed this issue above in the FAQs section. I wanted to talk about it, but it would just make the thread too long and deviate from the real point.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bazinga! For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Booster as in someone makes a separate charavter to kill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tinkertoy View Post
    Booster as in someone makes a separate charavter to kill

Sorry I didn't get you. Separate character to kill what?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts

I like the idea on the stakes, but if you include platinum that can only be bought for real money, that raises legal questions about online gambling.

Also I had the idea of removing public chat in pvp to eliminate the go system once and for all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buchmeister View Post
    I like the idea on the stakes, but if you include platinum that can only be bought for real money, that raises legal questions about online gambling.

Also I had the idea of removing public chat in pvp to eliminate the go system once and for all.
    I'm not aware of the legal issues of buying and trading game currency, but if this is the case, then I guess gold is the only option.

Also I would not recommend disabling chat. People can always use emotes. And players cannot discuss team strategy in FFAs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts

Great idea about stakes. Would be great to see a "buy in screen" or "wager screen" where you bet an amount of gold (if you want) and so could everybody else in the game. The only problem i think would be the games would have to be locked or something Because somebody could come in at 9-0 and win etc. This is just my concept.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to plpr For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bazinga! View Post
    I'm not aware of the legal issues of buying and trading game currency, but if this is the case, then I guess gold is the only option.

Also I would not recommend disabling chat. People can always use emotes. And players cannot discuss team strategy in FFAs.
    It's against TO to sell/trade plat with cash, and the only way to get plat is with money. Betting platinum could be viewed as online gambling.

Concerning your second point, it doesn't matter if people can use emotes, public chat is a large part of the go system. It also doesn't matter if you need to discuss strategy in FFAs. I've never seen anyone use teamchat anyways, only PM. If you're an actual FFA team, use other means of communication (skype, discord etc) like every other game in existence.

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Ever since these last few updates (attempted balance leading to different OP gear) + elimination of speed, I've been very reluctant to PvP recently.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to XghostzX For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by plpr View Post
    Great idea about stakes. Would be great to see a "buy in screen" or "wager screen" where you bet an amount of gold (if you want) and so could everybody else in the game. The only problem i think would be the games would have to be locked or something Because somebody could come in at 9-0 and win etc. This is just my concept.
    I guess its just luck if someone decides to leave on the 9th point. But this would only apply to open games not preset games. So I'm guessing people would prefer preset games over random assignment

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bazinga! For This Useful Post:

17.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #12
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,159 Posts

If PvP becomes perfectly balanced and nobody has anything to say about anything... maybe (just maybe) I will consider adding some form of wager / stakes.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cinco For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cinco View Post
    If PvP becomes perfectly balanced and nobody has anything to say about anything...
    Oh Cinco, how naive you can be.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to KingFu For This Useful Post:

21.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #14
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KingFu View Post
    Oh Cinco, how naive you can be.
    You're the guys who keep posting suggestions :-P
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinco For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts

You're the guys who keep posting suggestions :-P
    And you keep answering :-D!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bazinga! View Post
    Sorry I didn't get you. Separate character to kill what?
    So one guy is geared and the other guy is wearing nothing then he just runs to the guy that is geared and gives him free kills. Some people pay then there are the weird people who love to just give kills away for no reason you can see them in Leaderboards.

ELITE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Yep^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 3pc View Post
    So one guy is geared and the other guy is wearing nothing then he just runs to the guy that is geared and gives him free kills. Some people pay then there are the weird people who love to just give kills away for no reason you can see them in Leaderboards.
    Maybe the guy just wants to death farm?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

Wagers could work but lb can't.
    Your idea is exploitable but I can't tell you how here on the forums. Your definition of booster is waaay to narrow.
    There are ppl on the leaderboards right now who cheated to get there in various ways and they don't get caught or taken off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

If PvP becomes perfectly balanced and nobody has anything to say about anything... maybe (just maybe) I will consider adding some form of wager / stakes.
    I absolutely agree and support this! the stakes idea is excellent!
    IGNS: TUBBYBEHR!! LVL 40 REAPER NUKEY. LVL 40 MAGE PALLY SHUMIAN,+ xsmxkitesxfdx ~ 17~ and xsmskitexfdx ~ 27~