Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newt's D.P.S (Damage Plus Support) Engi Build

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just redid my skills sheet to this guide, and it seems to be more effective than the other guide i followed (forgot which one).

Thx for the how to use guide too. Before i was just button mashing with the spells, but after individually targeting enemies and casting they are dropping like flies!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

UPDATED!!! Did somebody say......tanking engi? Oh yeah, that was me. Check it out, screenshots added!

Quote Originally Posted by Meii View Post
    I just redid my skills sheet to this guide, and it seems to be more effective than the other guide i followed (forgot which one).

Thx for the how to use guide too. Before i was just button mashing with the spells, but after individually targeting enemies and casting they are dropping like flies!

Glad you like! Check out the recent update, hope it's a little more insightful.
    <Infinite Union> Eyeofnewt Engi - Eyesssniper Op - LelouchX Com ~ GinFiend
    *G+ Chat For STS Community**Newt's Engi Build*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Hey buddy, thanks for the shout out in the update. I have a thought about your skill layout. I have the same exact skill point allocation with 1 less in leech since I'm not at 31, but I put empathy in the same slot on both skill screens so that it is always accessible without having to switch. You have an empty slot in one screen so you could do this too. The downside is that I have decay on screen 2 and wither and leech on screen 1 so I can't activate them as I switch targets as easily as you can but I'm thinking about switching decay and transference so my layout would be:

Screen 1:
    Empathy - 6
    Decay - 6
    Wither - 5
    Leech - 4

Screen 2:
    Empathy - 6
    Transference - 6
    Pain - 1
    Revive - 1

I think this is a better layout than what I posted on the KoC forum. What do you think?
    Infinite Union Officer:
    Firoth, engineer. Firothi, operative. Firothon, commando.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

I think that is better than what you posted on our guild forum, but I still like the idea of having decay, pain, wither, and leech all in the same slot. Whatever is the easiest way for u to use the skills if the best way to place them. I alady have the muscle memory for how i mapped them, so im going to leave it that way for now and see if we get a new skill with the update. Here is a copy/paste of Teddy's post from our forum for everyone else's referece.

So, I've been using the exact same build for some time and have switched to the Black Widow and shield combo and started targeting different mobs on my DoT skills like you suggested, so thanks for that! However, I do have a suggestion for improving your skill layout. I'm sure you are used to your layout, but I think wasting a skill slot is, well, a waste!

Here is what you posted:
    -Transferance - 6
    -Revive - 1
    -Empathy - 6

Slot 2
    -Wither - 5
    -Leech - 5
    -Pain - 1
    -Decy - 6

I see that your skill layout is basically heals versus damage, which is a good way to break it down but what I suggest is putting empathy or transference in the same spot on both skill screens for ease of accessing a heal at all times. Having it in the same slot on both screens makes the muscle memory easier too. The way I have my skills set up is as follows:

Slot 1:
    Empathy - 6
    Wither - 5
    Leech - 4 (I'm only at level 30)
    Transference - 6

Slot 2:
    Empathy - 6
    Decay - 6
    Pain - 1
    Revive - 1

There are two downsides to my layout. The less important is that we don't know what the last engineer skill will be so I may have to change this where you can stick it in the empty slot. The more immediate one that affects gameplay is having to switch slots to access decay after casting wither and leech. Due to the cool down, I don't use it as much except for bosses, mini bosses, and tough mobs so this is fine by me. In your tanking play style, this will be more of a detriment.

Thoughts?
    EDIT: I also feel like it is a waste having that spot open, but I really just don't know what to put there!
    Last edited by LelouchX; 10-17-2011 at 02:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I figured you would say that, lol. What about putting transference in both screens instead of empathy? Do you spam pain? I tend to not use it for venomous and scorcher runs except the mini bosses, but I do use it for mobs in Wasted and Director runs, so that would matter more in harder levels. Hmmmm, I'm a bit torn now. I guess I'm kind of thinking out loud at this point... I guess the only thing to do is try it out and see!!!
    Infinite Union Officer:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Teddyache View Post
    I figured you would say that, lol. What about putting transference in both screens instead of empathy? Do you spam pain? I tend to not use it for venomous and scorcher runs except the mini bosses, but I do use it for mobs in Wasted and Director runs, so that would matter more in harder levels. Hmmmm, I'm a bit torn now. I guess I'm kind of thinking out loud at this point... I guess the only thing to do is try it out and see!!!
    Hahaha, i just can't see myself being happy unless decay, pain, wither, and leech are in the same slot. Maybe it is my OCD, idk. I just haven't felt the need to fill that empty spot yet on the other slot. When i multi-target, sometimes i will try to aim for the back target with pain and sometimes he will stay alive for the 3 seconds so it can cause AoE damage. Even if it doesn't, it still does instant damage and i never have to use stims for mana so i see no reason not to spam it even for that little extra damage it does. I do like to make sure it is off cool down tho before a boss/mini-boss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice guide, and lol "yoga pants whilst cooking" -kelmud

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nice build! Mine's very similar as I'm a more aggressive Engi. I only lay back on the later levels of Shipyard if I'm the only Engi. And yes, at level 33 I can solo heal the final boss with little to no drama with this build. I completely agree with your reasoning in skill choice but one: I skipped Wither in favor of 4 points in Force Field for the +2 Mana regen. I like to be able to have Empathy going in every encounter. Even if the enemy force is relatively weak. I do this to build the group's confidence in me as a healer. I've found that the group will charge forward much more willingly if they know I've got their backs. This is especially true in PUGs. I don't usually burn through mana that quickly but I refuse to use stims. Should I die,(hardly ever) Revive and Force Field bring the mana up fairly quickly due to the doubling of my regen. With the 36 level cap I may add Wither tho. But there is the mystery of what that last blacked out skill might be so maybe I'll save my points. Have to wait for the next expansion...
    Last edited by Cyberius; 10-24-2011 at 05:47 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Teddyache View Post
    Put the boom in there. You can always drop one point from, i dunno, leech or something and put it to boom. With current base damages the one point boom thrown properly to large groups of enemies yields more than that one point in leech ever will. (inspite of the lengthy cooldown)
    SoiledPants 41 eng, NoPants 41 op, PoofyPants 41 com, Hullukko (retired) 56 mage, NoPanties 21 vampire

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hullukko For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hullukko
    Put the boom in there. You can always drop one point from, i dunno, leech or something and put it to boom. With current base damages the one point boom thrown properly to large groups of enemies yields more than that one point in leech ever will. (inspite of the lengthy cooldown)
    Why'd you have to do that!!! I have't edited yet since i got my extra skill points going to lv 35!!! LoL, anyway, yeah, i gave boom some action, i think it is more helpful in SY than it ever was in slouch. i'll edit my original post soon, i promise! Thanks for the insight!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Me
    Nice guide, and lol "yoga pants whilst cooking" -kelmud
    Lol, thx

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberius
    Nice build! Mine's very similar as I'm a more aggressive Engi. I only lay back on the later levels of Shipyard if I'm the only Engi.
    Thanks, yeah, i was taking in SY3 (i know, its not that hard, but helps squishy ops stay alove longer) when there was no com and never got low on health, and was still able to heal the group as needed.

Empathy going in every encounter. Even if the enemy force is relatively weak. I do this to build the group's confidence in me as a healer. I've found that the group will charge forward much more willingly if they know I've got their backs
    Ditto

But there is the mystery of what that last blacked out skill might be so maybe I'll save my points. Have to wait for the next expansion...
    Eh, i used all the skill points, you'll see when i edit OP. I respecced about 15 times already, what's one more when the last skill comes out?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LelouchX For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Almost at 34 now. I'll put my next skill point in the boom! Thanks Hull and Eye!
    Infinite Union Officer:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Updated finally, sorry it took so long. Edited parts are marked with date, looking forward to your insights

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

tweaked it a little more, edited parts marked with date

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Ok, last update before next expansion probably, TANKIN ENGI TANKIN ENGI TANKIN ENGI with new screenshots from SY5!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by LelouchX View Post
    Ok, last update before next expansion probably, TANKIN ENGI TANKIN ENGI TANKIN ENGI with new screenshots from SY5!!!
    Nice update! While I still stubbornly cling to my build with a death grip, it's really not all that different and I play about the same as you. I prefer "Heavily Armored Healah" as my title tho since we don't get any real taunt/aggro holding skills like Com's do :P Just a note on keeping over excited Ops from damage: I like to toss Pain at the offending mob. Gives the team a little time to get him under control

IGN: Psyonic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Great guide! My build is already similar, only I don't use sonic boom. Instead I maxed wither/leech, and that works so long as I choose a target in the back of the crowd that isn't going to be insta-killed by the party.

Egofury (35 Commando)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by melancholy-storm View Post
    Great guide! My build is already similar, only I don't use sonic boom. Instead I maxed wither/leech, and that works so long as I choose a target in the back of the crowd that isn't going to be insta-killed by the party.
    I wrote off boom for a long time bc of the cool down, but I love trying to make a class my own and use it a way most others don't, and the engi is perfect for this. you'll see tons of different combinations of skills used by any engi. in addition to this, I always loved to tank in PL but I just don't enjoy the com class in SL (sorry to those who love it). I get so excited when there is no com in SY5 run (sry again guys, nothing personal) bc it means I get to tank. sonic boom, combined with trans and healing skills, just grabs aggro and hold on for dear life

This build is something that took me a while to perfect (or near perfect i guess, nobody is perfect), and if anyone reading can even just use pieces of my insights to make something that works great for them, then I'm happy.

And and I know that with the amout of people that have said they use something similar, I must be doing something right.
    Last edited by LelouchX; 11-30-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

So i haven't done much with this since the new enxpansion, been busy, but i'd be happy to squeeze some time in to try to do runs and get screenies so i can update it if there is anyone interested.

edit: ok, so i read through this fully last night while i was trying to offer some advice on another thread, and i realized there are way too many "edits" in OP and i've also tweeked some of my tactics a bit more. I'm gonna fix it up big time tonight after work and offer tactics for effective use in all expansions rather than just the most recent one. i'll also do my best to fix up the "how to level" section. Not everyone is at end game levels and i want this build to be useful to all, not a select just a select few. I'm getting all excited again
    Last edited by LelouchX; 01-06-2012 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Extreme Makeover: Engi Edition!!! Added detailed stat and shield info, along with incorporating all my edits into their sections to make it flow better. Let me know what you think, and as always, constructive criticism is welcome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have only been playing SL for 3 days and like in PL and all other MMOs I have played over the years, I have always preferred the support role. Before hitting level 23, I didnt think to come here to check for guides - duh! But I am glad I did, many of what you discussed I figured out with trial and error but you have also explained why certain skills work and when. Thanks so much for your effort to help fellow Eng. I will be doing some rearranging of skills when I hit 25. Also can you recommend a poor woman on what gear to buy, I have next to 0 saved because I dont know what sells and havent purchased any extra auction slots to do so.