Thread: A Universe Without Kill to Death Ratio

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default A Universe Without Kill to Death Ratio

After reading a few threads regarding Kill/Death ratio, I've noticed that whether or not some players disregard it completely, and others view it as an important statistic, there is no denying that it gets attention from both ends of the spectrum. And so I got to thinking...

What would this game be like without it? Better? Worse? How would things be different? Would this fundamental change cause a metaphysical glitch in the Star Legends space-time continuum, such that the UCS Blackstar would implode under its own weight?
    Last edited by Dracula; 10-04-2011 at 07:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I want some cra- I mean enhancers too. Give it up!

Vampire the Operative

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

I can only speak for what it was like pre leaderboard pre elixir in pl. Bears wouldn't hang in the back of the party birds didn't worry about grabbing too much aggro and mages would risk a death to Rez the party
    Just my 2 plat

Tournament & Ladder Leader Silentarrow's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

I wouldn't like the K/D aspect of the game removed (I like to compete with my guild). Although I don't think it is a huge aspect of the game. An engineer can have a 2,000 K/D but if he doesn't know how to heal I'll think of him as a bad player. If a commando has a -200 K/D but is always willing to rush ahead of the group I'll think that that commando is a great one!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I am betting that you'll be able to hide your K/D ratio in SL for a platinum fee at some point in the future (since you can do so in PL), but who knows.
    Star Legends: Ephemeris (Engineer) - Ephemeriz (Operative) - Ephemerix (Commando) - Director (Engineer - Twink/Farmer) | Pocket Legends: Ephemeris (Enchantress - Retired)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemeris View Post
    I am betting that you'll be able to hide your K/D ratio in SL for a platinum fee at some point in the future (since you can do so in PL), but who knows.
    I bet that option will be available when pvp comes out
    It was fun while it lasted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kraze:436618
    I can only speak for what it was like pre leaderboard pre elixir in pl. Bears wouldn't hang in the back of the party birds didn't worry about grabbing too much aggro and mages would risk a death to Rez the party
    I still play that way, wasn't really ever worried about ktd until someone remarked that my stat was terrible lol
    -- Act and you will have dinner, do nothing and you will BE dinner - Gowron, Klingon High Council--

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

First, to answer your question: Yes. ... ... What, it wasn't a yes or no question...? OK, if you're gonna make me think... Hmmm... I think the world would beee... About the same. Let me explain.

I think there are all types of players out there. Those that worry about stats (and I truly believe it is "worrying") are, imho, smaller in number than those that are simply there to, well...play. The relatively small group of players that choose to pursue one of the FIVE slots on the leaderboard would find something else with which to be competitive. The rest of the players would carry on as if nothing had changed at all.

Now, let me give you some personal background to support the opinion I stated above. Waaaaaaay back, when I was a humble beginner in PL, I once had aspirations to have zero deaths. I don't know if I had seen the leaderboards at that time. If I had, I did not know how they worked. I think I had somewhere around 3000 kills and 8 or so deaths, and I remember thinking, "I must be close to a slot on the leaderboards". Don't laugh! You know you had the same thought about your stellar K/D ratio before your hopes were dashed!! Just like mine were. I checked the leaderboards... realized my serious deficiencies... fell apart (it was awful)... Once I picked up the pieces, wiped away the mixture of tears and snot, and began playing again... It was wonderful! I had been born again, given a new lease on life. I had been given permission to die! I had been given permission to let loose and play the way I always wanted to play.

OK, the tale I spun above, although 100% true, may have been a bit overly dramatic. Well, if you know me at all, you know I like a good story! Anyway, the bottom line is this; I stopped worrying about deaths a long time ago. Without really thinking about it, I find I average somewhere around 1% deaths to kills; i.e., 3000 kills and 30 deaths. Every once in a while, someone asks me how my deaths are so low, and I tell them I just don't think about it! I just try not to die unless I must.

I leave you with a bit of knowledge for your mind to chew on; the most aggressive player I ever ran with had tens of thousands of kills and no deaths! I was very impressed...

PL: Thequickone warrior, Torrenz archer, Faebronia enchantress/main
    SL: Thequickone commando, Torrenz operative, Faebronia engineer/main, Helpdesk <PiF> engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Some very interesting thoughts. I wonder how much this really does affect gameplay. I'd like to share some of my own experiences as food for thought:

I have several alts that I use for testing different builds in different situations (also for bs'ing with friends). Many of my alts have at least 20,000 kills, some of which have zero deaths. Some of have a lot more deaths, i.e. the alts I use for solo testing bosses or recording damage data. While some have stated that it's likely only a few players really care about k/d ratio, it's not surprising that my zero death alts get spammed guild/friend invites exponentially more than my alts with deaths. Yet all my alts are played with equal effort and skill.

While the stat does promote competition in some, I believe that it also has the tendency to force some players into timid gameplay styles. Some folks I know will purposely avoid playing in dangerous areas. Others I've seen exit the game just before dying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemeris View Post
    Apparently already in the pipline, though couldnt see the change of coulour avatar screen etc.

I understand what you mean as this can sometimes effect a players decision if to rush in.. or run! ha.. Have only abt 15k kills 16 deaths (Terrible for K/D but oh well my mission to Tank as hard and effectively comes first), though I wouldnt hesitate to make that 17-20 if it meant tanking effectively (which you shouldnt really die if done correctly). How do you think I got to 16 in the first place.. Miner/Ping of Death/Talking (Typing) to much.. ha

Without K/D though I would highly doubt this would have that much of an impact in the game, some just ignore it wholly some live by it like their lives depend on it.. may change some peoples minds when deciding to run like i mentioned before but well experienced LB'ists hopefully are as effective as they would without that title.. only difference is that they would be millionaires from all that stim they would save on buying

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o