Quote Originally Posted by crudmudgeon View Post
the analogy is accurate... a crime is a crime... phoning an old lady and convincing her to invest in your fake business is just as wrong as intentionally trading fewer or different items than was agreed upon.

why would you ever claim it is up to people to defend themselves at all costs rather than attacking dishonesty.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
I am not advocating that the victim is guilty in either case. The victim is innocent in both the robbery/rape and scam scenarios.

What I am demonstrating is that in the scam situation, the victim CAN do something to stop it from happening.
In the robbery/rape situation, the victim CANNOT do anything to stop it from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by crudmudgeon View Post
i can think of half a dozen things either victim COULD have done to prevent the crime... but why should they have to.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
In an ideal society, there would be no victims of crimes, so there would be no need to defend yourself. Since neither AL nor real life are ideal societies, crimes happen, and it is to the victims benefit that they defend themselves.

But again, while in the scam scenario the victim has a choice to prevent it from happening, the rape/robbery victim does not WHILE the crime is happening. One victim is defenseless while the other is not.