Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Shipyard/Halloween Feedback Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Default Shipyard/Halloween Feedback Thread

So far, I've been enjoying the recent update so much that I felt that need to make something like this.
    This thread will allow us to give the STS team any constructive criticism that you would like to say, in order to commend them of their hard work, or suggest improvements for the current/next update.

Here are my thoughts about the latest Shipyard/Halloween Update.

PROS

Shipyard/Halloween update gives us more than what Slouch-O did.
    - Considering the time-frame that it took to release this patch, it feels like we got way more than we did Slouch-O. It took a shorter amount of time to release this current patch than the previous one(Slouch-O), but we still got more content out of it.

Shipyard offers an entirely different theme.
    - I love the whole old and mossy look on the new maps. It is COMPLETELY different from what we have seen so far. I was really disappointed about Slouch-O, and I think the team redeemed themselves through this new campaign.

Armor sets look great!
    - So many people are complaining about how ugly the new sets look like. I don't really want to spent the rest of my Star Legends gameplay looking at the same, old, boring robotic gears. Again, the new sets are completely different from what we have seen before, and it kinda reminds me of the game Dead Space for some reason.

Exclusive vanity items
    - It is great that SL finally got an elite vanity item, which makes the level cap worth grinding for. I also like the fact that R.I.V.E.T can't be bought for cheap. I personally didn't buy one, but I would rather not have one and only see a handful of people have it, than getting one myself while I see 50 other people running around it as well. I understand the whole business perspective of it, and I agree to some extent. R.I.V.E.T does not give a player any advantage in gameplay, so there is no reason for people to get upset if they can't afford it. There will always be people who will be able to afford, but it takes away the item's exclusiveness if everyone else can buy it.

A lower drop rate on purple gears.
    - I don't know if the devs do this intentionally, but they drop rate on purple items seem to have dropped. I sort of complained about this, but I'm starting to love the idea. The purple gears are slowly starting to drop now, but the CS isn't plagued by them either. This way, players might actually be more motivated to farm the gears themselves. During the Slouch-O campaign, the CS was bombarded with the new purple gears in a matter of hours. We are close to the 24th hour mark of Shipyard's release, but there are still very few of the purple gears available on the CS.

CONS

The game is starting to become more pay-oriented instead of play-oriented.
    - It feels like SL is headed towards a direction wherein the player who spends the most money in real life will get the most out of this game. Platinum gears are getting more expensive. The new set alone would cost 150 platinum. There are also new implants that significantly better than the old ones, but they are only available in the plat store, which would cost 30 plat each. The elite cap does not scale well with the exp, and it would either take loads of platinum to buy elixirs, or a player would simply have to play for hours on end just to reach the cap; but even if the player did, he might not have enough time to reach the cap before the new level cap arrives.

Halloween requires Plat to be able to participate.
    - Ok I don't mind this THAT much since I didn't care much about Halloween/Christmas game events, but I understand where most people are coming from. This is supposed to be an event for everybody to enjoy. It takes away the fun from it if STS requires a player to pay 10/20 plat to fully enjoy it.

Still no tactic involved in boss-killing
    - I was really expecting that by now, the bosses will get a lot more challenging. Bosses still require little or no tactic involved to kill them, which makes boss farming a little less fun. A lot of people are currently raving about how hard the new boss is, but he's not hard to kill at all. I was hoping that the bosses would have twist in them (like Gurgox from AO3) or at least have spells or special cut-scenes during the fight.

Please keep this thread away from any flaming or fighting. Keep all comments clean and constructive, and most of all, LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!
    Anybody can sacrifice a queen. The real trick is getting away with it.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ProSophist For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

I'd have to agree with every point made, except your last con about no skill tactics for bosses.

While this is true for the first few levels, the last boss has a lot of tactics involved. No one knew how to beat the boss at first. My guild Sparkling Pwnies, dare I say it, was the first group to complete the boss and we had people asking the players who did it what tactics they used and how they accomplished it. Now that people understand what to do, it's not too hard. But it involves tactics in a way that if you don't complete it the way STS intended it to be completed, you die. You ALL die. It's not like the director where you can act the emotes or not, and still win. If those mobs get on that console for too long, you all go BOOM. We have a tactic each time we get to the boss based on who is in the party. It's a lot more fun than the other bosses, and I really appreciated the effort put in to make the boss challenging but easy to figure out with good teamwork and communication.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=62120&dateline=131973  8744
    Kahlua/Knowledgebase - Star Legends Help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Nice review!

RIVET PET: I totally agree with rivet pet! Please dont be upset if you cant buy one. I actually bought one but I feel bad for someone who cant afford it too. My idea is I hope they will release a small version but very cheap 10 plat smiley pet so every one will be happy.
    Looking forward for future pets

MORE-PAY ORIENTED: I know that this is not so different with other game business. But I hope STS will be more concern of how to expand their game on a minimal platinum expense for player but optimizing their profit. I meant if business is going to be more-pay oriented, player population will decrease. And those who can pay will soon be diminished if their friends are diminishing. This is just exaggeration and extreme logic but I hope their creative minds will balance those who can pay and not.
    Last edited by Elf-Orc-Naga; 10-21-2011 at 12:33 PM.

Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules. J. D. Salinger The Catcher in the Rye
    Primary IGN: Elfwarden

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Very well thought out post. Thanks for writing.

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Are the plat item packs needed, or is just a shortcut for now and you can eventually get better gear from farming?

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    Are the plat item packs needed, or is just a shortcut for now and you can eventually get better gear from farming?
    the item packs are 2 costumes and a random vanity item. The costumes get returned on Nov 1, and the vanities get kept for ever. Can't get them from farming.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=62120&dateline=131973  8744
    Kahlua/Knowledgebase - Star Legends Help

8.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Great thread, thanks for taking the time to write up your feedback!

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kahlua View Post
    the item packs are 2 costumes and a random vanity item. The costumes get returned on Nov 1, and the vanities get kept for ever. Can't get them from farming.
    Sorry, Bad phrasing. I meant to ask if the Level 35 150 Platinum Gear set is needed, or if that same or better gear can be looted.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Great thread Pros!

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    Sorry, Bad phrasing. I meant to ask if the Level 35 150 Platinum Gear set is needed, or if that same or better gear can be looted.
    This can be looted unsure yet if this is better or worse yet.. but it can be collected through farming. Level 3 and 5 bosses are dropping these pretty regular (not every single drop) all the difference is that they are a different colour.

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Awesome thread ProSophist!

<3 Phoenix <3