Thread: Custom Titles

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Default Custom Titles

I've played plenty of RPGs in my time and some of my favorite have a system for earning titles but I'm going to use Fallout New Vegas for my template (please don't mention how buggy the game is as I am not talking about any aspect of it besides it's perks system). Basically when you complete a certain task a number of times you earn a title that allows you to gain perks. So for instance when a Commando breaches a door after breaching say 1,000 doors you get a bit faster at it, 10,000 and a bit faster still. Maybe a perk of "Treasure Hunter," where opening up enough chests makes elite chests open as if they were regular chests. Tired of dying in the Shipyard from the proximity mines, how about if you diffuse 1,000 bombs you get custom title "Hurt Locker," and they diffuse in less time. I've read thread where players encourage just one player to take all the risk and are dubbed the suicide bomber, so this would be a bit of a way for them to get some payback; not to mention that the entire team will benefit in the long run. Another perk that could tie in would be if you complete all the quests a certain number of quests you could become a quest master and get doubled xp just for quests; there are so few quests in the game that this one would have to wait. Titles could include things like:
    Commando - Bomber
    Operative - Hacker
    Engineer - Fixxer

How about titles for doing your task and playing your role well and getting an extra 5 points added to your classes main stat. For instance, when a commando maintains aggro for x amount of time or an operatives with a large amount of kills and an engineer for healing x amount of hp overall. In order to maintain some sort of order maybe only allow one titles to be added to a toon at a time. A bit like the titles here on the forums (I know some of the players here have AoA, GoA, and even a custom title to choose from; it's up to them to choose what they want to be known for. These titles would be able to change at any time as if they were gear so if you decided that you want to increase your speed in runs then you could change to a title that would allow you to access special areas faster and change it when you're playing a campaign that doesn't have any locked doors to bypass. Role based titles:
    Commando - Attention Hog
    Operative - Space Cowboy
    Engineer - Field Medic

I've just recently got into SL a bit thanks to the addition of the elite cap rewards so after a break from my mobile gaming I happened to fire up my PS3 and after an hour or two of New Vegas this idea magically popped into my head (ok not magic, I saw something I like in one game and suggested it here). I know this idea isn't them most original, but SL has been borrowing from other RPGs since the beginning so I'm going to get in on the groud floor.

I know the first reply about this is going to say something about how this will unbalance pvp, but keep in mind everyone will have access to it. New or old will be able to achieve these feats with just a bit of playtime and all it will increase is a class specific stat of 5 points so it's not even overkill if one has it and another doesn't. In the end this is just a way to break the monomoty that is xp grinding, getting a little boost for doing something multiple times just seems as natural as evolution. I want my character to evolve with the game, not be left behind in the prehistoric age.

Questions, comments?!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gluttony For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Im for it sounds very good and is well thought out and eventually STS can do a plat system with certain ones that give either random perks or just to have a cool name with no perks. +1