Thread: Option for SL style Skill Layout

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Default Option for PL style Skill Layout

I am sure this has been suggested, and I keep hoping the current 4+4 skill setup will just magically disappear, but I just need to voice my opinion about the layout. The two biggest problems for me are 'thumb fatigue' from having to switch em constantly to 'check', and of course the need to check, as there is no indicator when a 'hidden' skill has recharged. This has also caused me to completely avoid buffs, as the short use time and long recharge time means I have to keep checking em, and that takes away from the game play. So I am asking ever so nicely , please, add the option to use the Pocket Legends skill style layout.
    Last edited by FluffNStuff; 10-24-2011 at 01:45 PM.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffNStuff For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Do u mean that u can't see all ur skills at the same time like u do on PL? If that's the case that has to be the silliest thing I've ever heard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robert7204 View Post
    Do u mean that u can't see all ur skills at the same time like u do on PL? If that's the case that has to be the silliest thing I've ever heard.
    You can see four skills, then you have to hit a switch to see another four skills. If you have more then 8 skills, you would need to constantly remap them to use em.

HunnySniper - HunnyStorm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    You can see four skills, then you have to hit a switch to see another four skills. If you have more then 8 skills, you would need to constantly remap them to use em.
    really? what possible benefit can this bring? I only see downsides with no upsides?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by robert7204 View Post
    really? what possible benefit can this bring? I only see downsides with no upsides?
    Than you must only be using 4 skills! :P

I miss the PL layout too. I know all too well the trouble that the current system brings and I've suggested either the PL layout or at least a 6 x 2 layout on another thread. (I forget where tho, sorry!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberius View Post
    Than you must only be using 4 skills! :P

I miss the PL layout too. I know all too well the trouble that the current system brings and I've suggested either the PL layout or at least a 6 x 2 layout on another thread. (I forget where tho, sorry!)
    He was replying to current system.
    BTW, did you ever get a reply as to WHY they went with this?

HunnySniper - HunnyStorm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

I made the original thread in beta. The only thing I recall Sam saying was thanks for the feedback. No reasons or anything. And then I got people actually supporting this skill flipping, calling it specialization. Seriously.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Similar thing was discussed here http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...ll-layout-flaw

Though I believe this should be looked at as discussed in link. Wouldn't want STS to go with same skill layout as PL (as anyone from the earlier days of PL know this has changed alot over time) find it covers to much of the screen as in where in SL it seems more combat esp with some of the bosses you face or quick reaction to certain mobs IMO. Though it may also be because over the length of time I've come accustomed to this. (One of the reasons this layout puts me off PL)

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

I know... I can't decide if I prefer the extra screen real estate or not having to toggle. Wouldn't it be interesting if the skill slots were mapped to multi-tap gestures??

MimeRifle-Comm/40 | Radaroreilly-Eng/40
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." G.B. Shaw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think a good compromise would be 6 smaller icons per 2 pages. A little less flippy floppy that way. If the auto attack button were made smaller (it's too big anyway IMHO) then the 6 skill buttons wouldn't have to be much smaller than the current ones and no more screen space would be needed. I think the only other way this could be solved (and would be ultimate!) would be to have a setup that allowed full customization of the size, placement and number of skill buttons per however many pages you want. There are many RPG's that have systems like this. Why not here? I think this would be a win. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Cyberius; 10-24-2011 at 09:18 PM.

Tournament & Ladder Leader Silentarrow's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

After playing 1.1/2 years of PL daily I still have yet to get used to the seperate skill pages. Therefore, I'm completely with you Fluff!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Silentarrow For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

I think I figured out a solution. Voice command abilities.
    Could you imagine? Your on the bus from school/work and some guy is yelling at his phone, " Empathy...Empathy damn you!!!!"
    Facebones & Dethklock are proud members of Vengeance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fac3bon3s View Post
    I think I figured out a solution. Voice command abilities.
    Could you imagine? Your on the bus from school/work and some guy is yelling at his phone, " Empathy...Empathy damn you!!!!"
    If it is anything like my car nav yelling Empathy damn you will cause your toon to purchase platinum shampoo

As for the topic, the layout is not bothering me to much for attack skills, it is the buffs and their recharge. So what about keep the 4+4 and perhaps have the option to add another 4 along the side. These could be permanent visible, or the could hide but peek out so you at least know when they are ready.

HunnySniper - HunnyStorm