Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A guide to "Reactor Core Deck"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Default A guide to "Reactor Core Deck"

Hi guys!

This is a guide to the last level of the Shipyard campaign, Reactor Core Deck (or "RCD"). The level is the longest and most tedious level of the campaign and I made this short guide just to fill all you guys in on a few tips that will make your RCD runs a bit faster. I picked up these tips from random players while on my way from level 29 to level 35 where I solely did only RCD runs (I like to take advantage of the higher threat level, ie. higher drop rate). So credit is due to those players who told me these tips (sorry can't remember their names =S).

This guide contains 3 short sections:
    • The Mobs!
    • The Hostages!
    • The Mysterious Figure!

The Mobs!

There are 98 mobs in RCD. The mobs in RCD are a lot tougher than a the other Shipyard instances. They have significantly more health and higher defense and hence, the runs at RCD are a lot slower than your standard xp runs at Shipyard level 1-3. However, there is an order to kill the different types of mobs. Use targetting to select the right enemy first so to kill the mobs in the following order:
    • 1. Engineers (Glow wand, Grey hair)
    • 2. Operatives (Dual pistols- some can also heal I think)
    • 3. Commandos (Heavy weapons, Vular head- not sure if this is permanent or not because of Halloween)

In this way the mobs don't receive healing from their Engineers which would prolong their existence. Then removing the Ops decreases the damage that you and your party receives. Leaving you with the Commandos which take the longest to kill, however they are a lot safer with Ops and Engineers removed first. If this is done correctly by the group the the time it takes to reach is boss is drastically reduced. Below is a screenshot of the Engineers/Operatives that you want to kill first!

The Hostages!

The UC Military General is deceiving! Upon approaching the hostages, he tells you this:

But this is entirely false. You do not need 3 people to rescue the hostages, it can be done with only 1 person. To do so, simply deactivate the mines one by one. However, you must be quick! Run in and deactivate the first mine just after the red flash, and as soon as the mine has deactivated, run away as fast as possible! Even though it will detect you and say "Proximity mine activated, detonation in 3 seconds" it will only blow up (and kill the hostages) if you are still within range (the mines and the UC Military General lie to you O.o). So if you repeat this process on the three mines then the hostages can easily be saved by only one person. =]

The Mysterious Figure!

The Mysterious Figure is the hardest boss of the Shipyard campaign. He is often underestimated by new players to the level, as there is a unique strategy that must be used to defeat him. I have joined a lot of PUG games that have resulted in full party wipes due to the fact that none of players knew what to do in order to defeat this boss. All in all, he is the hardest boss for a reason- he drops phat lewt!

Now, here is the layout of the Reactor Core Room:

Once you step into the center of the room a few mobs will spawn (I will refer to these guys as The Mysterious Figure's minions). Kill them, then shortly after the Mysterious Figure himself will spawn. Ignore him for now! He has too much health and in order to protect the terminal it is a lot easier to kill off all the minions first and then concentrate on the boss last.

Now, in order to protect the terminal each class must play their respective role. The Mysterious Figure and his minions will repetitively walk over to the terminal and attempt to hack into it (takes about 5 secs for them to successfully hack it). Your role is to stop them doing this! Each class has their respective skill that is effective in preventing the terminal in being hacked.
    • If you are an OPERATIVE, use LURCH and PSYCHIC LASH to repel the enemies and boss away from the terminal.
    • If you are an COMMANDO, use SINGULARITY and GRAVITY WELL to fling the enemies away the terminal. However, These skills are not to be used at the same time! Try and spread skills use out or you will find that the team will not have the use of the skill when at that critical moment where the terminal needs protecting. Additionally, it is more efficient if the commando pulls the mobs to the two back corners, once the mobs start moving towards the terminal, use Gravity Well to pull them back. If that doesn't work, run in front of them and push them back to the wall using Singularity.
    • If you are an ENGINEER, DO NOT use SUPPRESSION because it roots enemies and cancels out the effect of lurch and singularity. So, just SPAM HEAL. However, it is sometimes necessary to use Suppression if you have an inattentive op or commando, so keep it in your pocket just in case.

The 3 barrels on either side (6 in total) represent the amount of chances that your team has to save the reactor. Each time the Mysterious Figure or one of his minions successfully hacks the terminal one of the barrels blows up. Henceforth, once the last barrel explodes, the reactor core blows up, and everyone dies. =]

So, in summary, these are the 3 core strategies to defeat The Mysterious Figure:
    • Clear mobs first, then boss.
    • Push enemies away from terminal when they attempt to hack it.
    • Ops use Lurch, Coms use Singularity, Engi's use any skill but Suppression

When in a PUG game at RCD I often ask the players in my group if they have fought this boss before. If they reply with "no", then I go through my quick chat instructions:

Thus concludes this short guide!

Thank you for reading, any feedback is greatly appreciated!

- Trollee

Thanks to the following Forumers for the feedback that helped improve this guide:
    • BodMaster
    • Zaltiar
    • FluffNStuff
    • krazii
    Last edited by Trollee; 10-30-2011 at 08:55 PM.
    Trollee [41] Trollix [40] Trollex [40]
    Trolley [25] Trolli [20] Trolly [15] Trolle [10]

<Fashion Police> <Twink Inc.>

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Trollee For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Great detailed Guide Trollee! (+1)

Just one thing that I can add and that is Com has two skills that help with this boss,

1. Singularity, explained above.

2. Gravity Well, this drags enemies including the boss towards the place where you are stood pressing the Gravity Well icon.

Edit: Also, need to mention that these skills are not to be used at the same time! Try and spread skills use out or you will find that team will not have the use of the skill when in a critical moment the terminal needs protecting.
    Last edited by BodMaster; 10-30-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BodMaster For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BodMaster View Post
    Great detailed Guide Trollee! (+1)

Just one thing that I can add and that is Com has two skills that help with this boss,

1. Singularity, explained above.

2. Gravity Well, this drags enemies including the boss towards the place where you are stood pressing the Gravity Well icon.

Edit: Also, need to mention that these skills are not to be used at the same time! Try and spread skills use out or you will find that team will not have the use of the skill when in a critical moment the terminal needs protecting.
    Thanks for the feedback Bod!

I think its fair to say I don't know much at all about Commandos lol. But I just learned something!

And in my experience, I have often found myself in a sticky situation with the terminal where I have either used Lurch too early or at an innaproriate time, or I may just be the only Operative in the group, and hence the terminal has been hacked whilst my Lurch is still recharging.

Good things to note, thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

The white haired guys are ennemy operatives...
    I wish my Op had that same heal...

Anyway nice little guide, clean and well written.
    Good effort.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Awesome guide, thank you so much! I have only attempted that level once and was totally wiped! I have been scanning the forums since then seeking such instructions!!
    -- Act and you will have dinner, do nothing and you will BE dinner - Gowron, Klingon High Council--

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trollee View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Bod!

I think its fair to say I don't know much at all about Commandos lol. But I just learned something!

And in my experience, I have often found myself in a sticky situation with the terminal where I have either used Lurch too early or at an innaproriate time, or I may just be the only Operative in the group, and hence the terminal has been hacked whilst my Lurch is still recharging.

Good things to note, thanks.
    Well for a first Guide you did awesome! (+1 to moving it to Player Guides)

One of the ways to make an awesome guide is by taking on board the feedback and editing the OP and creating the best possible outcome for the guide. Even people Yanis, Phys and co use the feedback from members to update their OP.

Again great job

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kakatoa91:466205
    The white haired guys are ennemy operatives...
    I wish my Op had that same heal...

Anyway nice little guide, clean and well written.
    Good effort.
    Thanks!

Yeah I did notice after writing this that those guys had duel-wield pistols and they could heal. Perhaps some sort of Engineer-Operative hybrid? Jealous!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BodMaster:466209
    Well for a first Guide you did awesome! (+1 to moving it to Player Guides)

One of the ways to make an awesome guide is by taking on board the feedback and editing the OP and creating the best possible outcome for the guide. Even people Yanis, Phys and co use the feedback from members to update their OP.

Again great job
    I'm pretty tired so I'll have a go at editing it in the morning.

I totally agree though feedback is essential in creating a good guide which is why I include the "any feedback is greatly appreciated" line at the end of my post.

And is truly is appreciated thanks guys!

PS: sorry accidenlty double posted, I'm on phone app, need sleep lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

I totally agree though feedback is essential in creating a good guide which is why I include the "any feedback is greatly appreciated" line at the end of my post.

Hehe.. now stop grinding and get some sleep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

Woof trolle, neat guide! If I see anyone struggling in game for rcd, I'll direct them thisaway.
    Also, maybe you could add, it would be heaps efficient (during boss)if the commander pulls the mobs to the two
    back corners, once the mobs start moving towards the monitor, use gravitational well to pull them back,
    If that doesn't work, run in front of them and push them back to the wall using singularity.
    Repeat until boss is dead :P, I've always had very efficient runs doing this.
    I'll seeya ig bro

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

the way to change the world is by doing one act of kindness at a time, care to buy some cookies?

PL: Zaltiar Lvl66| SL: Hellcharger/Alibi Lvl 41Com|Zaltiar Lvl38 Op| Warbringer 38

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zaltiar For This Useful Post:

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Great guide, but not sure the gray guys heal 'others'. There are Operatives (dual guns), Engineers(Glow Wand), and Commandos (With the big gun). Targeting is the way to go, but I would say Engineers First (They heal others) -> Operatives (Easy to kill but dangerous to have around) -> Commandos (Take the longest to kill, but it is a LOT faster if the Engineer is dead, and a LOT safer if the Operatives are dead).

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffNStuff For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Very nice guide, great details and pics, here's my two cents:

1. Ops should also use psychic lash, I've found this is helpful in delaying the mysterious figure from going to the terminal or at least keeping him in one spot longer.
    2. I agree that Engineers should not use suppression routinely, but sometimes it is necessary if you have an inattentive op or commando, so keep it in your pocket just in case.
    3. I haven't played my comm in Reactor Core yet, but was wondering if neutron stomp will also affect the mysterious figure? I use this a lot to keep aggro and am wondering if it too will knock the mysterious figure down/away from terminal?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to krazii For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by krazii View Post
    Very nice guide, great details and pics, here's my two cents:

1. Ops should also use psychic lash, I've found this is helpful in delaying the mysterious figure from going to the terminal or at least keeping him in one spot longer.
    2. I agree that Engineers should not use suppression routinely, but sometimes it is necessary if you have an inattentive op or commando, so keep it in your pocket just in case.
    3. I haven't played my comm in Reactor Core yet, but was wondering if neutron stomp will also affect the mysterious figure? I use this a lot to keep aggro and am wondering if it too will knock the mysterious figure down/away from terminal?
    I haven't seen neutron stomp push him back, gw and singularity works most of the time though

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

the way to change the world is by doing one act of kindness at a time, care to buy some cookies?

PL: Zaltiar Lvl66| SL: Hellcharger/Alibi Lvl 41Com|Zaltiar Lvl38 Op| Warbringer 38

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    Great guide, but not sure the gray guys heal 'others'. There are Operatives (dual guns), Engineers(Glow Wand), and Commandos (With the big gun). Targeting is the way to go, but I would say Engineers First (They heal others) -> Operatives (Easy to kill but dangerous to have around) -> Commandos (Take the longest to kill, but it is a LOT faster if the Engineer is dead, and a LOT safer if the Operatives are dead).
    This is true, the confused Op's are able to heal with them around any enemy is also harder to take out. Take the SY3 Droid boss for example ever tried running that with only 1-2 players? Its pretty close to impossible as the Op's keep spawning and spawning, healing the Droid before you have a chance to take it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by krazii View Post
    Doubting it would be any near as effective as GW or Singular' but may be worth using this is a back up if both are used. Will test this out today and let you all know

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Updated the guide thanks to this feedback from the following forumers:

BodMaster:
    • Coms use Singularity as well as Gravity Well - this drags enemies including the boss towards the place where you are stood pressing the Gravity Well icon.
    • These skills are not to be used at the same time! Try and spread skills use out or you will find that team will not have the use of the skill when in a critical moment the terminal needs protecting.

Zaltiar:
    • It is more efficient (during boss) if the commando pulls the mobs to the two back corners, once the mobs start moving towards the monitor, use gravitational well to pull them back. If that doesn't work, run in front of them and push them back to the wall using singularity.

FluffNStuff:
    • Use targetting to get through the mobs quicker by killing them in the following order: Engineers (glow wand, grey hair) then Operatives (dual pistols) then Commandos (heavy weapon and vular head). In this way the mobs don't receive healing from their Engineers which would prolong their existence. Then removing the Ops decreases the damage that you and your party receives. Leaving you with the Commandos which take the longest to kill, however they are a lot safer with Ops and Engineers removed first.

krazii:
    • Ops should also use Psychic Lash to help keep the Mysterious Figure away from the terminal.
    • Engineers should not use suppression routinely, but sometimes it is necessary if you have an inattentive op or commando, so keep it in your pocket just in case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trollee:466879
    Updated the guide thanks to this feedback from the following forumers:

FluffNStuff:
    • Use targetting to get through the mobs quicker by killing them in the following order: Engineers (glow wand, grey hair) then Operatives (dual pistols) then Commandos (heavy weapon and vular head). In this way the mobs don't receive healing from their Engineers which would prolong their existence. Then removing the Ops decreases the damage that you and your party receives. Leaving you with the Commandos which take the longest to kill, however they are a lot safer with Ops and Engineers removed first.
    I am different on this point with all the runs I made on this map with random team or pro friends team seeing this with my Op point of view.

Ennemy Ops should get eliminated first.
    3 ennemy Ops deal insane dmg also I always feel dual guns do give some kind of mini stun or delay because of frequency of shots. They have low life too.

A single Ops can take care of 3 black ops rapidly, 1/2 boosts skills, long range weapons and dmg skills.
    In random team with average players where usually they autoshot first the closest ennemy, its non uncommom I kill the 3 Ops with my main Op before helpin team killin the engie and com.
    In my group runs, we do this sy5 really quickly.

Chainsaw is my favorite for this, I get to kill 1 Op before they can fire back thanks to my higher range reach and high dmg. First strike is a big plus!
    Then moving on the others. Usually, 1-2 skill dmg and 1-2 normal shoot is enough even if they heal once.
    Also aiming and shooting b4 com hit and skill first, hard to aim at the right target after them.
    Other advantage of the riffle, you can shoot at safe distance of minebomb at mob and make agro all the mobs if they r too close to defuse it without danger and off range of other weapons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts

Great job making this guide. Helped me

Alaska, Left the heat on & melted my Igloo...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Very well put together guide Trollee! As far as zones go, that is a good one to have teamwork & all be on the same page. Good job my friend!
    Proud Officer of Infinite Union
    Downloads -36 Commando * Http -36 Operative * URL -36 Engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

great guide trollee!
    A veteran who cannot let go the glorified Legends days.