Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GCD/Macros

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Default GCD/Macros

Sent basically this exact thing as a PM to a friend, but I also want to get some public opinion. clicking skills is too hard as it is(yay. dying on low levels I've got no reason to die on), so I was tying them to my mouse:

WAITMS is wait ___ milliseconds. Numbers are just numberss. Say...

Code:
    1{WAITMS250}2{WAITMS250}3
       ||skill one, waits 250 ms, skill two, waits 250 ms, skill three
       ||this only sets off skills one and three

1{WAITMS300}2{WAITMS300}3
       ||skill one, waits 300 ms, skill two, waits 300 ms, skill three
       ||this only sets off skills one and two

1{WAITMS300}2{WAITMS600}3
       ||skill one, waits 300ms, skill two, waits 600ms, skill three
       ||this only sets off skills one and two
    So it seems as though the GCD is not the same? Maybe, you can't set off more than two skills per second? But the threshold for those two skills seems to be between 250 and 300 ms.

So... if X is 50 ms, and you can only cast 2 skills every second when they are no more than 300 MS apart:

1XXXXXX2XXXXXXXXXXXXXX3XXXXXX4XXXXXXXXXXXXXX5XXXXXX6

Again, the one second is just a guess, I haven't tested that.

Thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Wait, you want to make a macro that automatically activate specific skills when pressing a mouse button? Or did I just completely misread that?

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    Wait, you want to make a macro that automatically activate specific skills when pressing a mouse button? Or did I just completely misread that?
    Yeah. It appears that the GCD isn't just, say, .3 seconds between each skill. It's like max two skills/second, and you can't have two skills less than .3 seconds apart. I was wondering if anyone else has tried anything like this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Uhmm... Wouldn't these kind of macro's be 'illegal'? I mean, I could see the advantage in PvP (when it ever arrives in SL). It's sound and awful lot like making a 'bot'. Maybe that's the reason the timings seem 'off'. In order to prevent this kind of tampering with macro's. To me it just doesn't seems very fair, if one could make macro's to get skills off, and it's the kind of thing that makes me worry about having SL/PL available on PC/Mac to be honest. Not meaning to flame here, just expressing my opinion about it

U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Didnt STS say they would balance portable devices vs computer in some way?

Like filterin from server side or so?
    Cant find where they talk about this before when they announced SL on computer.

Sequencing skills on macro buttons is just a an advantage against handphone or tablet.
    More if you can tweak it to speed it up.
    It will b harder to win in pvp.
    Well not everybody have a hardcore gamer keyboard or mouse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kakatoa91 View Post
    Didnt STS say they would balance portable devices vs computer in some way?

Like filterin from server side or so?
    Cant find where they talk about this before when they announced SL on computer.

Sequencing skills on macro buttons is just a an advantage against handphone or tablet.
    More if you can tweak it to speed it up.
    It will b harder to win in pvp.
    Well not everybody have a hardcore gamer keyboard or mouse.
    It gives players and advantage? I'm sorry, but how is this fair? Don't get me wrong, I have a pretty hardcore gaming PC/keyboard/mouse/detachable num key board and the works, but if I could legally use that as an advantage to win PVP games, I wouldn't feel any sense of accomplishment. Gameplay has always been with no advantages depending on the device you play on (except for some occasional exploits that the devs fixed). If it becomes easier to win because you could program a device, so you can just move and press 1 button, that wouldn't be honest IMO. Or am I looking a this the wrong way?

U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB:469317

It gives players and advantage? I'm sorry, but how is this fair? Don't get me wrong, I have a pretty hardcore gaming PC/keyboard/mouse/detachable num key board and the works, but if I could legally use that as an advantage to win PVP games, I wouldn't feel any sense of accomplishment. Gameplay has always been with no advantages depending on the device you play on (except for some occasional exploits that the devs fixed). If it becomes easier to win because you could program a device, so you can just move and press 1 button, that wouldn't be honest IMO. Or am I looking a this the wrong way?
    Dont shoot at me Jay... lol
    I didnt say it was fair, just stated it was an advantage.

Check the post in this section "pvp balance",
    IBN talk to dev at bbq. Sorry cant link with my phone.
    Theres an other post where dev talk I think but cant find it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kakatoa91 View Post
    Dont shoot at me Jay... lol
    I didnt say it was fair, just stated it was an advantage.

Check the post in this section "pvp balance",
    IBN talk to dev at bbq. Sorry cant link with my phone.
    Theres an other post where dev talk I think but cant find it.
    Lol, wasn't meant to sound like if I was shooting. I was also just expressing my opinion about the matter, it wasn't meant to be personal

U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Sensitive issue, IMO. I think STS will have to redefine the rules especially now that it's on the PC platform.

Not sure how many saw my leaving thread with the picture of my mouse/game pad on it. Basically, 18 buttons on my mouse alone. I was actually wanting to try it out in SL/PL, haven't gotten around to it though.

My opinion, I'd say it's legal if it's just using device macros.

Edit:

Long edit, lost connection so couldn't post.

By device macros, I mean binding a key to different buttons on a mouse. I've heard of illegal stuff with macros though, not exactly sure what though.
    Last edited by Ellyidol; 11-02-2011 at 03:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

My two cents is with Jay. Macros in PvP would be what most consider an unfair advantage (whether it'd be more effective, who knows). Remapping/mapping certain skills to certain buttons even could be considered an unfair advantage compared to someone playing on a phone/tablet setup where you physically have to tap a skill and be up against someone with the EllyNator 5000GT SuperController with skills mapped. Granted, server response times will also affect it, but I can't say I see using Macros as something fair. In PvE it wouldn't really make much of a difference/hurt anyone so to speak....but PvP? No. You want three skills, you tap three skills/click three skills.

And like Jay said, this is why I hoped that PL/SL never came to PC. Sorry, Otu, mad respect for you, but have to disagree with using macros (unless STS has purposely built something in to render it level/fair, and even then....)
    Last edited by Moogerfooger; 11-02-2011 at 04:43 AM.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    EllyNator 5000GT SuperController
    I like it

But yeah, now that you mention it, I do see your point. Not everyone has access to macros/EllyNators, so it should be labeled illegal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

theres was already banned one guy for making a macro wich made him operate like a bot...

so pay attention and dont do things like these...
    - PL - Founder and proud C.O.T. officer
    RicciTS > DEX Bird L77 | Ricci > INT Mage L76 | XCarver> STR/DEX Bear L71
    and many more....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    I like it

But yeah, now that you mention it, I do see your point. Not everyone has access to macros/EllyNators, so it should be labeled illegal.
    I'm kind of on the fence about controllers, because with GCD/system limitations it's not like your 3 button presses in 0.117 seconds will register in 0.117 seconds in-game...but ti is still easier/faster for you to hit them in the first place . Can anyone stop anyone from physically using a gaming controller? Of course not. But even with GCD/system limitations, it is still easier/faster/less distracting to use the skills. No way to enforce, however, and any advanatge performance-wise may be just notional and not real, so I am kinda "meh whocares" about controllers to some extent. Just an opinion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

This is just the beginning as these games migrate to the PC platform. STS can do little about it unless somebody is messing (hacking) the game code. Macros are perfectly legal and virtually undetectable. They will certainly give an advantage, especially when playing against someone on a phone/tablet who has to change skill screens etc. Part of me wonders if this isn't why STS hasn't implemented PvP in SL or made PL playable on Chrome. I totally agree with Jay, but at this point there's not much that can be done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Raise the GCD on computers by perhaps 20%. It should negate the advantages that a PC would have.

The best thing though would be to make PvP inaccessible on PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by krazii View Post
    This is just the beginning as these games migrate to the PC platform. STS can do little about it unless somebody is messing (hacking) the game code. Macros are perfectly legal and virtually undetectable.
    Have to disagree here, to some extent. A lot of people were using macros/3d party emulators for Storm8 games, and Storm8 caught on after a little while. They came up with software to analyze server logs for certain repeated-ad-nauseum server logs/entries, as people were doing things that were very repetitive for hours on end...in the end, was pretty easy for S8 to detect from analyzing their logs. Whether that would work on a few second long sequence from a single mouse-click, who knows.

They may be legal, but me personally, just because something is not illegal, doesn't mean it is fair/morally right. That is kind of dramatic for what we are talking about, but you get the point

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    The best thing though would be to make PvP inaccessible on PC.
    I'm fine with that, but there's no possible way to click each skill and do everything else at the same time on a PC. Hotkeys require too many hands. WRT PvP, if someone is kiting, and you macro, you're screwed. All the rest of the skills in the macro just got wasted. I still think PvP would need a lot more quick reactions to the opponents actions than a macro would offer.

Would binding it to a 19 button mouse be OK?

-----------

WRT GCD, half the reason I made this post. It seems as though, even though the devs lowered the initial .5 second GCD for two skills, it didn't change how many skills you could cast per, say, 5 seconds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    My two cents is with Jay. Macros in PvP would be what most consider an unfair advantage (whether it'd be more effective, who knows). Remapping/mapping certain skills to certain buttons even could be considered an unfair advantage compared to someone playing on a phone/tablet setup where you physically have to tap a skill and be up against someone with the EllyNator 5000GT SuperController with skills mapped. Granted, server response times will also affect it, but I can't say I see using Macros as something fair. In PvE it wouldn't really make much of a difference/hurt anyone so to speak....but PvP? No. You want three skills, you tap three skills/click three skills.

And like Jay said, this is why I hoped that PL/SL never came to PC. Sorry, Otu, mad respect for you, but have to disagree with using macros (unless STS has purposely built something in to render it level/fair, and even then....)
    What Moog (and Jay) said. It's too much like the "IOS users have an unfair advantage with button mashing" thing from PL PvP (which was true--IOS users did. GCD took care of that issue). At the same time, someone using the standard Google controls is going to have a devil of a time against someone with a touchscreen. i can see why PvP has been delayed due to "balancing" issues and I'm really, really glad not to be the one having to try and make it work. :/
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Since I do not play SL really, I will focus on mastering macroing when PL comes out. Other mmo's such as Wow encourage macro use. I don't see why STS would not mind this. Macros improve a players performance when looking to complete a task such as maximizing dps, or having an easier time crowd controlling.

Yes it may be viewed as unfair, but you could make the same argument saying that android devices and apple devices do not have the same quality regarding something like the touch screen registering.
    (Yes I killed a dev)
    Don't screw with the pew! (not literally) lol
    Active Toons: MoarPewPew,Enrages,PewPewJr
    I award Pew Points.(Keep Track!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Actually, WoW has banned people for using programmable keyboards and gaming mice. There's at least one angst-filled site of a guy talking about being banned for using a programmable keyboard. They get suspended under a section of the TOS dealing with botting, even though the rule talks about the use of third-party software and not hardware peripherals. If you ask the folks at Blizzard, they will tell you, "one button push = one action".

In any case, it would be up to STS how they interpret this section of the TOS: "hacks, modifies or otherwise makes use of cheats, mods, automation software (bots) or any other unauthorized third-party software designed to modify the game experience"--does "third-party software" include drivers for gaming mice/other devices?
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm